PDA

View Full Version : rescue diver

Nick
01-07-2010, 17:00
what do you have to do to be a rescue diver the reason im asking is im an emt and was wondering if theres is like a national regeristy type deal for it or what the process it

mitsuguy
01-07-2010, 17:04
rescue diver is simple, but tough...

simplicity - some book work, some time with an instructor, a 50 question final exam, some pool skills, then applying the skills learned in the pool in simulated open water emergencies...

no national registry other than your name in PADI's database...

Nick
01-07-2010, 18:45
thank you

in_cavediver
01-07-2010, 19:29
Nick,

The rescue diver is not what it sounds. This is a recreational dive class teaching mostly self rescue and buddy skills. This is NOT public safety diving such as a Dive Team nor does it qualify an individual to do public safety type of diving.

If you do want to go into those area's then yes, there are a couple of formal classes you can go through. These are more in line in with commercial dive classes though not recreational dive classes.

comet24
01-07-2010, 20:30
Rescue Diver is not a professional level water rescue class in any way and in no way does it come close to anything a true water rescue class does. Still a good class for most and does teach a few skills you wouldn't learn in most water rescue classes.

navyhmc
01-07-2010, 21:09
What they said...It is a stepping off point if you are intersted in that sort of thing. There are a number of Public Safety Diver programs/courses out there. If you are indeed interested in this area, the first step might be to look in your area for dive rescue teams and the like and work with them. While you may be able to get the PSD classes, without a team to work with, it's just so much training and money.

dannybot
02-10-2010, 19:30
Take it! the most fun class I have taken. The skills are a bit challenging, but I really enjoyed it. It will also make you a better and safer diver, if only YOU are the one getting rescued, the training come back quickly in an emergency.

Redfish
02-10-2010, 22:33
I am looking at doing this through ST once I complete my Nitrox and AOW then its on to rescue....who know maybe that is the stopping point not sure at this point if its worth going further and what all is involved after rescue?

Quero
02-11-2010, 05:00
I am looking at doing this through ST once I complete my Nitrox and AOW then its on to rescue....who know maybe that is the stopping point not sure at this point if its worth going further and what all is involved after rescue?

There are lots of courses available, but whether they will be interesting enough to you to entice you to enroll is another question.

After Rescue, for those who DO want to continue, you need to decide whether you want to go into the professional stream or remain in the recreational stream. If you "go pro," the next course would most likely be Divemaster. If you stay in the recreational stream, you just choose specialty courses that seem interesting and do them. For example, if you really get into the Rescue stuff, you might like Oxygen Provider. Or maybe you would like to do Wreck diving....

The worth is for you to decide. For some people, even AOW isn't worth it, and yet for others, doing DM is what they want, even if they're not planning to work in the industry.

bobby_hirst
02-23-2010, 18:19

There are lots of courses available, but whether they will be interesting enough to you to entice you to enroll is another question.

After Rescue, for those who DO want to continue, you need to decide whether you want to go into the professional stream or remain in the recreational stream. If you "go pro," the next course would most likely be Divemaster. If you stay in the recreational stream, you just choose specialty courses that seem interesting and do them. For example, if you really get into the Rescue stuff, you might like Oxygen Provider. Or maybe you would like to do Wreck diving....

The worth is for you to decide. For some people, even AOW isn't worth it, and yet for others, doing DM is what they want, even if they're not planning to work in the industry.

Totally agree. I'm finishing up my Rescue this Spring and then I'll probably do some specialties. I enjoy diving, but living in IL, I don't see the benefit for me to be a DM. I think I would be better suited to explore many specialties.

redseadiving
05-23-2010, 08:38
hello

to do rescue diver course in PADI organization you must be EFR and also advenced open water diver, the rescue course teach you to avoid alot of problem and deal with them in unlickly events if you encounter them, the course duration between 3 and 4 dayes, and its seriouse funny course alot of divers like to do it. for more informations about it you can visit the link below

Dive in the warmest sea in the world.

Red Sea Diving (http://www.red-seadiving.co.uk)

comet24
05-23-2010, 12:18
hello

to do rescue diver course in PADI organization you must be EFR and also advenced open water diver, the rescue course teach you to avoid alot of problem and deal with them in unlickly events if you encounter them, the course duration between 3 and 4 dayes, and its seriouse funny course alot of divers like to do it. for more informations about it you can visit the link below

Dive in the warmest sea in the world.

Red Sea Diving (http://www.red-seadiving.co.uk)

One note on this. You don't have to have PADI EFR just the equivalent from a recognized organization. When I did my rescue diver years ago I didn't have PADI EFR but had the same from the ARC.

scubagirlj
05-23-2010, 16:59
i did rescue then went into deco classes, after a bit-really helps with the self confidence to acess and handle problems that may occur as with deco you are pretty much on your own due to personal gas mix,schedule and volume carried(buddy has their own issues to deal with gas wise)-glad i did rescue and worked my way through the course schedule

brojack17
05-23-2010, 17:39
I'm really looking forward to this class.