PDA

View Full Version : before i buy a computer

Nick
01-07-2010, 17:49
how do you read them and how exacltey do they work what is a good one that can grow with me as a diver but wont break the bank?

Vercingetorix
01-07-2010, 17:52
Each computer has different capabilities and functions. You'll just have to read the manual. At their most basic, they'll tell you your depth, water temperature, time of dive, etc.

skdvr
01-07-2010, 17:54
How you read them is different on every computer, but basically most will show you water temp, how long you have been in the water, how long before you hit NDL, depth, time of day, N2 exposure, O2 exposure. Some may all be on one screen while others may have multiple screens.

Not breaking the bank is very subjective. If you come up with a price range you are wanting to stay within let us know and we can point out some nice computers.

ST has the Mares NEMO sport on sale right now which is a nice computer. MARES is a little on the conservative side but it never bothered me. I have a SS Nemo that I really like. The sport is pretty much the same thing, but one thing about the sport that I liked better over the SS Nemo is that it shows you how long you have been on the surface. Which is something that most computers have but my SS Nemo I have to look back in the log to see when my dive ended and then figure out how long I have been on the surface. Not a huge deal but it takes longer than just glancing at the computer...

Phil

sterlinghe92
01-07-2010, 17:56
oceanic pro plus 2 is a great itegrated air computeor that will defiantly grow with you and wont hurt the bank too much...

it tells you everything you would need to know!!!

DevilDiver
01-07-2010, 18:43
Since you are looking at getting a BCD, computer and I do not know if you already have a reg, you should consider getting a package. You will get a better deal like this and ST can make a custom set up if you do not find exactly what you like.
Scuba Diving Packages BC and Reg Packages with reviews on sale (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=2&subcat=32&txtsearchParamCat=18&txtCatName=2)

navyhmc
01-07-2010, 18:49
how do you read them and how exacltey do they work what is a good one that can grow with me as a diver but wont break the bank?

The best thing to do is look at the various computers, what they look like, how the display looks to you and the major features. When I found a few I liked, I went the the manufacurers web site and looked thoguth the user manuals. Oceanic, Suunto, Dive Rite, Zeagle and others have links to .pdf files for user manuals.

When I choose the Oceanic Geo, the influences for me to get it were:

Good sized face, Nitrox capable and computer downloadable. ST price was a big factor as well.

bigman241
01-07-2010, 20:07
When I started looking at them I thought and was told the oceanic geo was good. I choose the atom 2. Though it is just over 600 bucks. Not counting the transmitter. It is a hoseless AI it runs off a transmitter and you can read up to three peopls air supply with extra transmitters. I would also recommend a package from STs. You get a forum discount and they will take care of you. When I was going to buy everything in oct they gave a price I did not expect. There real good and I ant even bought anything from them yet and they have talked with me atleast 4 times. Wade spent a hour on the phone with my in oct and 20 minutes the other day. Feb 1st to the 5th they will be getting that call to call ups over. Buying everything from them for my cert class. Though I still worry how the lds in florida will take that. But if nothing else I will take my money and make a pit stop in texas on the way home and do my cert at scubatoys. If the dang water would have been warm in march I would anyway.

sterlinghe92
01-07-2010, 20:34
When I started looking at them I thought and was told the oceanic geo was good. I choose the atom 2. Though it is just over 600 bucks. Not counting the transmitter. It is a hoseless AI it runs off a transmitter and you can read up to three peopls air supply with extra transmitters. I would also recommend a package from STs. You get a forum discount and they will take care of you. When I was going to buy everything in oct they gave a price I did not expect. There real good and I ant even bought anything from them yet and they have talked with me atleast 4 times. Wade spent a hour on the phone with my in oct and 20 minutes the other day. Feb 1st to the 5th they will be getting that call to call ups over. Buying everything from them for my cert class. Though I still worry how the lds in florida will take that. But if nothing else I will take my money and make a pit stop in texas on the way home and do my cert at scubatoys. If the dang water would have been warm in march I would anyway.

The forum gives you a discount? or just the gc?

DevilDiver
01-07-2010, 20:40
10% discount for being a forum member. Mention it if ordering by phone or in store, put it the comments section if ordering online.

Hint: Have them at it to your info in thier system in store, just in case you forget.