PDA

View Full Version : weight for the ranger ltd.

bigman241
01-08-2010, 12:48
What weights do you guys like on the ranger ltd. DO the hard or soft weights work better over the other.

EDIT
DO you guys wear all the weight on the ranger or split it between the ranger and yourself? If you wear it on your self whats the best setup when using the ranger.

rayaa3
01-08-2010, 14:29
Bigman - I don't have a ranger - however, generally, if a weight integrated bc will hold all the weight you need, it all goes in the bc. Usually the only decisions to be made are how you want to split the weight up between front and rear pockets (if the bc has rear pockets).

However, there are exceptions. Particularly if you require more weight than the bc is meant to hold. In which case some folks who have tried them can probobaly advise on the advantages of a weight harness over a weight belt. I've never tried a harness, so I can't speak to it.

The only other reason you might wear it some place other than your BC is that you have some specifc part of you that for whatever reason is more bouyant. I've never seen it, but I've heard of folks using very light ankle weights in this case.

bigman241
01-08-2010, 15:19
The ranger will hold 30 pounds in the rip cord pockets and 20 pounds in the rear trim weight odd thing is the bladder is 44 pounds so I would assume 44 pounds is the max you would want in the bc. Surely 44 pounds will be enough to sink me in a 3mm or 5mm max. If not I guess I could go bigger on the bladder when zeagle builds it for me. Guess I will bring that up with wade when I call scubatoys to make the order.

fisheater
01-08-2010, 19:13
It's a better practice to divide the weight between the BC and a weight belt, especially when you dive with significant exposure protection.

Otherwise, should you need to doff and don underwater, your BC will
be considerably negative and you'll be considerably positive. Not a good prospect when you need to keep your breathing gas nearby.

Also, your BC/tank "unit" will become very heavy for on-land donning and doffing.

Zenagirl
01-09-2010, 08:08
My husband dives a Ranger LTD and put his weight in his pockets, dividing it equally front and back. However, we're warm water divers, so the most he carries has been 16#.