PDA

View Full Version : ease the sting/ what is your remedy>



Divegirl
09-03-2007, 02:11
I have been very fortunate, however many around me have not.

What remedies do you keep on hand???
Jelly fish stings or name a few other stings and what do you do to ease the sting:smiley19:

picxie
09-03-2007, 02:51
I've only been stung once, by a bluebottle jellyfish while over in Aussie. I remember being on the surface and seeing this blue thread thing on my hand and wrist so pulled it off. It wasn't until after the dive when I was back on the boat that it started to sting like anything. Ouch ouch ouch. They said vinegar helps, or icy cold water. There was no vinegar on board but having my hand under a stream of icy cold water really helped - made my hand numb, but really helped. This is ICY ICY cold water, not just really cold water. I had to do this for about an hour before the pain subsided to a dull ache.

ScubaGir1
09-03-2007, 03:16
When I was in Cozumel, my boyfriend and I constantly got stung by tiny jelly fish in the water. We weren't allowed to wear our gloves while in the marine park, so our hands came into contact quite a few times. It bothered me more than my bf, but we didn't really have to do anything special after we got out. It was more of like a shocking sting while in the water, but afterwards....not much.

Cheddarchick
09-03-2007, 06:53
Since I carry my ear beer with me everywhere , the last time I got stung I used it. Worked great...

Zenagirl
09-03-2007, 08:06
For Jellyfish, fire coral, hydroid, and anemone stings you should flush the area WELL with sea water. Do not use fresh water as that could cause the unfired nematocysts to fire. Then you want to immerse the body part into very hot water for 30-90 to neutralize the unfired nematocysts. Then you want to shave the area with a razor to get everything out of and off your skin and apply hydrocortozone cream.

scootermcfly
09-03-2007, 08:13
A good credit card or drivers license to scrap the area is something I have found pretty handy in the past.

Scooter McFly

finflippers
09-03-2007, 08:14
Luckily I have never been stung while diving.

Hemlon
09-03-2007, 08:22
I've had two jellfish stings. One was while snorkeling in Florida. I had no vinegar and I didn't want to cut my day short by driving the 20 miles to buy vinegar.

Thank goodness for urine!

Queen
09-03-2007, 08:56
Jellyfish sting in the Dry Tortugas, the only vinegar available was apple cider vinegar...I smelled like a salad all day but it worked.

Fire coral sting off Marathon, didn't know what to do at the time so it just stung all day.

Capt Hook
09-03-2007, 09:14
Got stung by a fire-worm once at Blue Heron Bridge. Some one there poured Gatorade on the spot (?), seemed to help for a while.
No idea why.

mm_dm
09-03-2007, 10:05
I have a little jar of meat tenderizer, the kind with papaya enzyme in it. I've used it on a few people and it works great.

wxboy911
09-03-2007, 13:58
No stings yet but I have heard that Vinegar works well...My instructor also told us about using a disposable razor to get the stings off.

divechaplain-sara
09-03-2007, 14:11
I've gotten more ant bites on shore than I care to remember. There's a commerical product "After Bite" which works well. It is primarily ammonia. I guess that is why on survivor, they just have someone pee on the sting.

Xspect
09-03-2007, 17:22
windex / window cleaner
ammonia

Queen
09-03-2007, 19:10
windex / window cleaner
ammonia

Ever seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? :smiley36:

BuzzGA
09-03-2007, 21:31
We always carried meat tenderizer on the boat in S. Florida and it always seemed to do the trick. Now it just lives in my first aid kit.

blueeyeddiver
07-08-2008, 16:20
Hello,
Last week while diving Santa Rosa Wall in Cozumel, I VERY regretfully and accidently, bumped some coral. I stuck a finger out to push off in an attempt to prevent a collision (which thankfully worked) and immediately felt a strong stinging sensation. I know I touched some prickly black fan coral. My fingers continued to burn and began to itch for several hours. Then about three days later, bumps rose up similar to a reaction to poison ivy. So...here I am a week and a half later and itching like crazy. The bumps are raised and bubbly. I applied peroxide but it hasn't helped. Also some neosporin but no relief yet. I'm sure it'll go away in a few days or weeks but anyone have any suggestions? The bumps are not "oozing" and guess there is no real need to see a doc at this point unless I observe any fluid.
Thanks!

mselizann
07-08-2008, 19:59
I've been stung- and got a tattoo to memorialize the event! Anyways, I used vinegar.....

oddbod
07-08-2008, 21:17
No stings yet but I have heard that Vinegar works well...My instructor also told us about using a disposable razor to get the stings off.
Don't use a razor some animals have stings that penetrate the skin and if you use a razor the stings stay there! In Australia vinegar or some commercial preparations and an ice pack are recommended.