PDA

View Full Version : Hair up, Hair down

kalokairi
09-03-2007, 04:00
I can't seem to get a good seal on my mask. I have a slap strap and I have tried my hair in a pony tail and down. Either way my mask leaks and I don't know what to do. Any advice?

ScubaGir1
09-03-2007, 04:23
I have pretty long hair (and a massive amount LOL), and I put my hair back into two braids before diving. Whether I'm wearing a hood or not, my hair doesn't get in the way. Are you sure your hair is pulled all the way back? I sometimes ask my buddy (boyfriend) to double check to make sure all my hair is out of the way.

If you are just having a really really hard time, you could try using hair gel to slick it back. Is your hair short, medium, long, really long....?

Zenagirl
09-03-2007, 07:53
Have you tried a different mask? It may be that your mask just doesn't fit and a different mask is in order here.

divechaplain-sara
09-03-2007, 13:26
It sounds to me like it is an issue of the mask not being a good fit. I've worn my hair a numeber of ways and haven't had a problem unless I left hair under the rim of the mask. It is easier to avoid that with the hair pulled back either in a ponytail or French braid. A pony tail low on my head or a French braid is more comfortable than a high pony tail, especially when wearing a hood.

caroln
09-03-2007, 21:06
Do you wear a hood or beanie when you dive? If I don't use one of those, my hair will be in my face driving me crazy no matter what.

kalokairi
09-04-2007, 01:01
I have a nice mask with the Silcon and a slap strap. Maybe I need to go back to the dive shop and try something else. Haven't tried a hood yet.

divechaplain-sara
09-04-2007, 01:15
Make sure when you go back to the dive shop to try out other masks to see if it makes a difference having a reg in your mouth. For some people that changes the shape of your face enough for a mask that fits without reg to leak.

ScubaJenn81
09-04-2007, 06:23
A hood/beanie will help out a lot. Even though it can be kind of tight at the start, it makes the hair issue almost none existant.

dallasdivergirl
09-04-2007, 09:42
I agree with the reg/mask issues. I had a great mask that worked great in the pool goofing around but did not work with the reg in.

I have layered long hair & I used a series of small clear rubber bands going down the back of my head (french braid style) to keep it in check. I can't actually braid it so that is my best alterative.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 10:20
I put leave-in conditioner in my hair after putting it in the ponytail and then when I am through diving it has washed out and I still didn't have the "hair" problem to bother me.....but thats just my solution......some things don't work for everyone....

Buc Chick
09-04-2007, 18:09
As with dallasdivegirl, I also use a series of rubber bands down the back of my head to secure my hair. Then I use hair spray to secure the hair some more. Then I use a beanie. I wish I could rock the Sinead O'Connor look so I won't have to worry about it. (I think I just aged myself with the Sinead O'Connor reference....)

Cheers,
Angie

mdwestgrl
09-05-2007, 19:24
I have long hair also and I either put it in a ponytail or french braid but then also have these hair things that are like a giant rubber band (sorry no idea what they are really called :smiley2:) that I use when I workout that goes around your entire head and keeps all of your hair out of your face. I use that when I dive and it keeps all of the hair out of my mask and face. I just hate to wear a hood if I don't have to.

Liv7301
09-08-2007, 09:48
I am still experiementing with what to do with my hair. If I have a hood on it's a non-issue, but if it's warm I don't want to wear the hood. I have tried a regular pony tail but have wisps that don't quite make it. To control those, I used a wider headband that had supposed "no slip" grips in it that don't work worth a darn. Every time I adjust my mask it moves and hair is released. In regular diving it's not too bad...I don't need to adjust my mask much. But in a class (which I am right now) we are constantly up and down and I am flipping my mask back while in the surface. Thinking about trying the multiple interlocking pony tails idea that several of you have mentioned.

foo
09-08-2007, 22:19
Beanies give one the aviator look, I know- but they are the quickest and easiest solution to swim-away hair.

Just call me the Flying Ace.

scubajane
10-06-2007, 16:11
a beanie is the way to go!!!! no style points but no leaking mask and no feeling like you have just entered a kelp forest i hate the feeling of being swarmed by my own hair. shaving your head bald is another option and it works well until you have to go back to work. then you get all those questions about chemotherapy.

bellbadboy
10-06-2007, 16:17
I finally got sick of the hair and cut it short...oh yeah I'm a guy should I even be in this "women's issues"? Sorry ladies, please don't cut the hair we love it long!

Kokomo
10-06-2007, 17:20
I have longer hair and I just pull it back in a pony tail. But on many occasions i"ve had hair get under my mask etc and it has never been a big problem. This sounds like more of a mask fit issue.

Zenagirl
10-06-2007, 17:55
another thing I thought of is, do you wear a snorkel? Sometimes snorkels will drag masks down and cause minor leaks, particularly if the mask doesn't fit well to begin with.

DevilDiver
10-06-2007, 18:29
It seams the beanie is worth trying. Personaly I like chicks with the pig tails...........:smiley32:

divnlifr
10-06-2007, 18:31
I usually wear mine in a ponytail with all hair pulled back, but it sounds like you may just need to find a different mask, if it's not the hair getting caught in it. Which one do you dive with right now? They make some for smaller faces if that is your situation, or maybe you have one that is too small. I have a pretty small head and I wear the Tusa Visualator and love it. Good luck

jimmysdevoted
10-06-2007, 18:53
Ihve long hair too. I usually try to glue or slick back with waterproof hair glue bangs etc. I then pull my hair into a pony tail or braid and slide that through the gap in the mask strap.
Got2be has aowndrful glue that wash out only wit a good shampoo.
There is another thats a wax that worls well too. You can also use it to make sure your seal on the mask is good!

Kokomo
10-06-2007, 19:17
Wow...you all go through alot. I just put mine on and go....it's not even tight. I really really love my mask. Occasionally the snorkel will pull a little and water may leak in but that's easily correctable.

chace_nicole
10-06-2007, 20:15
I wear a low ponytail or pigtails, my hair is about shoulder length. I wear bobby pins to pull the remaining bangs & front layers on the top of my head. I was suprised to learn that they stayed in. :smiley20:

Chocoholic
10-06-2007, 23:49
Just got my hair cut in long layers so now the french braid isn't gonna work. I gotta find a beanie.

missnumnutz
10-07-2007, 01:39
i do the same as Scubagirl.. i have my buddy(boyfriend) check my seal.. i dive in sydney so i'm actualli wearing 2 hoods - one 0.5mm and a 2.5mm.. my hair is med to long and layered.. its always thought little hairs that i cant seem to squish all under my hood.. i notice that my hood has to be over the top of my mask i.e or mask seal under the hood .. i had an issue where the mask kept filling from the top - it was because my mask ended up somewhere between both hoods in some areas and under both elsewhere so was uneven and leaked. Buddy fixed the prob and i was ok

Scuba Nymph
10-07-2007, 19:43
I also wear my hair in a ponytail and constantly have a leaky mask. No matter how careful I am putting my mask on... it leaks. To my surprise, I found out the cause isn't my hair or my reg changing the shape of my face or even my snorkel breaking the seal... the culprit is my SMILE :smiley17:. I just can't seem to quit smiling down there!!!

scubajane
10-07-2007, 19:52
smiling breaks the seal on a mask faster then hair or reg movement. so sad to be in such a wonderful place and not able to smile.

Cissycox
10-15-2007, 20:49
I use a tropical Beanie in the summer and works like a charm to not only keep the hair out of my face but the mask sits securely at all times.

csky
10-16-2007, 21:31
Even braiding my hair didn't really keep it out of the mask, and every once in a while I would lose the ponytail holder and all the hair got everywhere! Finally I broke down and bought a thin hood (0.5 mm). I look like a complete dork diving 84F water in a hood, but it does keep the hair of the way.

I'm eyeing the beanies on sale as the hood tends to get a big bubble of water at the top (and if I cut a hole to release the water, it would probably be colder, right?).

Kasi_G
10-18-2007, 07:03
i agree with the leave in conditioner idea...i actually use that and i wear my hair in a high ponytail with one of those "nonslip" headbands to keep my frizzies from flying all over the place (specifically into my mask) lol!

K8brandt
10-21-2007, 13:53
My hair is also very long (waist length), the best way I have found is to clip it up on my head with one of those thin curved metal clips and wear a lycra swim cap. I can't stand stuff over my ears when diving and it's a lot cooler out of the water, I don't have to take it off. I will leave in most of the conditioner and take it down in the shower for ease of combing out.

BeachBunnyCrissy
10-28-2007, 18:06
I wear pigtails a little low and they work perfect.... here is a pic

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n20/Crissychan03/l_85b3f35fb427961729e0842845a7be18.jpg

Anne Eastwell
10-31-2007, 21:20
Don't we go through agony dealing with the hair situation!!?? Mines medium length and layered so it doesn't matter how I tie it back I've got hair everywhere!

I've bought a thin hooded vest to try on the next dive, hoping it will fix two things - I got really cold last dive and sort out the floaty hair thing! We'll see....:smiley29:

mona
01-20-2008, 12:55
I realize this is an older post but I find the topic to be one alot of us might have issues with. I was one of 5 women taking the OW course; seems leaking masks was one of our biggest issues. As others have mentioned may be go to the LDS and be sure you have a mask that fits properly. I would suggest you be sure to check for any hair trapped under your mask seal...I found that can make a difference between a good seal or not so good seal. When wearing a hood, check your mask seal is under the edge of the hood; have your buddy check that the hood isn't trapped under your mask.

Cheddarchick
01-20-2008, 14:30
Now that my hair is shoulder lenght, I bought a dew rag to try. Anybody use one?

ScubaGir1
01-21-2008, 23:23
If you're hair isn't in the way, then its probably the mask.
Have you tried any others?

cutter77
01-21-2008, 23:34
Now that my hair is shoulder lenght, I bought a dew rag to try. Anybody use one?

My do rag didn't work, kept slipping off. So, now before a dive trip, I chop it all off. When it grows out I know it's time to get wet again.

KACY
05-03-2008, 00:35
if your mask leaks it has nothing to do with your hair being up or down...when you buy a mask put it up to your face and inhale through your nose. if it stays on its a good fit, if skirt of mask fits your face you are fine. straps are only there to keep it on and should not be too tight trying to keep a mask that is too big on your face. Aqualung's micromask is a great mask that fits female face, or mine at least.

Eurodiver
05-03-2008, 01:58
I have long hair also and I either put it in a ponytail or french braid but then also have these hair things that are like a giant rubber band (sorry no idea what they are really called :smiley2:) that I use when I workout that goes around your entire head and keeps all of your hair out of your face. I use that when I dive and it keeps all of the hair out of my mask and face. I just hate to wear a hood if I don't have to.

These are life savers.
Collections - StayPut - Womens (http://www.goody.com/Products/Collections/StayPut/Womens/Womens.aspx)

As a hair stylist I recommend these to all my clients with long hair. They do stay put. If you need to reposition a pony tail ALWAYS take it all the way out and start over. Don't pull on your hair like we did when we were kids. You are only causing damage to the cuticle and THAT is how split end get their start. The Black elastic flat head band on page three is the one I use for the little wispy bang area. Do a pony tail, then gear up put one around your neck they are big enough to not choke you, once you have your mask on and in place the way you want just before going under pull the band up. There are not so tight that you can't clear you mask and stuff but will keep the wisps out of the way.

Hope it helps

Eurodiver

JillianAnnO
06-02-2008, 15:29
My buddy for this weekend was a girl with long straight hair. she wore a hoodie but be careful because after her first dive with one, her poneytail was a birds nest!!! I have long thick curly hair and just tie mine back real low. The only issue I have is that the layers cause me trouble. My suggestion..... do what I did and become an expert at clearing your mask! :ylsuper:

coral cowgirl
06-02-2008, 16:41
My mask leaks if I don't smooth back my hair (wet) before putting my mask on. I have short hair and make sure my bangs are short enough they won't float down in front of my eyes (interfering with reading my gauges).

Dark Wolf
06-02-2008, 17:21
I am lucky, most of our dives require a hood, even in the summer. My hair is almost half-way down my back. I have dove without the hood, but what a pain. I have tried a couple of different do-rags with fair results. If it were me, I would get a nice thin hood. I don't have any problems when wearing a hood, but I also think that it is the fit of the mask as others have stated. I am also a fan of the leave-in conditioner and "Anti-frizz".

DW

DiveSooner
06-02-2008, 19:13
Yeah DW, those mullets do get in the way, uh?

I am lucky, most of our dives require a hood, even in the summer. My hair is almost half-way down my back. I have dove without the hood, but what a pain. I have tried a couple of different do-rags with fair results. If it were me, I would get a nice thin hood. I don't have any problems when wearing a hood, but I also think that it is the fit of the mask as others have stated. I am also a fan of the leave-in conditioner and "Anti-frizz".

DW

Dark Wolf
06-03-2008, 09:31
Mullets?! What The Hell?!?! Lmao!!!

mauiiop
06-03-2008, 16:03
she is correct i would say your mask is not fitting properly. So far everyone has given great advice keep in mind the reg and try not to laugh or smile too much underwater.:smilie39: What i have observed is sometimes with the slap strap the strap actually moves too high or too low and this can also change the way the skirt is matched to your face so if it starts leaking check to make sure that the strap is across the center of the back of your head above your ears.

if your mask leaks it has nothing to do with your hair being up or down...when you buy a mask put it up to your face and inhale through your nose. if it stays on its a good fit, if skirt of mask fits your face you are fine. straps are only there to keep it on and should not be too tight trying to keep a mask that is too big on your face. .

diver-wife
06-06-2008, 17:57
I can't seem to get a good seal on my mask. I have a slap strap and I have tried my hair in a pony tail and down. Either way my mask leaks and I don't know what to do. Any advice?
You could just shave your head:smiley20:

Grizbear98
06-06-2008, 23:55
I have fairly short hair and am growing it out now and it still gets stuck in my mask! I don't know what to do with it once its long again, I started diving with it short, and it certainly was wild enough last time it was long. I'm sure spending time untangling the mess will be an experience I'll just cherish :-/

foo
06-07-2008, 10:48
When you are ready to lose all vanity... put on a beanie and dive. It will hold your hair back, guaranteed.

You will look goofy. But you won't look leaky. ;)

divingmedic
06-07-2008, 11:17
See at least you women have the problem with hair interfering with your diving. I have to wear a doo rag or something so when I am waiting on the surface to descend or waiting to get back on the boat, my poor little punkin does not get sunburned.

foo
06-07-2008, 11:46
See at least you women have the problem with hair interfering with your diving. I have to wear a doo rag or something so when I am waiting on the surface to descend or waiting to get back on the boat, my poor little punkin does not get sunburned.

And most of us women don't have to worry too much about our mustache making our mask leak either. :smiley31:

divingmedic
06-07-2008, 13:56
How true I look like a total geek when I do diving because I have to shave a strip under my nose.