PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade now or later?

kalokairi
09-03-2007, 04:19
I am new to diving and taking open water classes. My husband bought me an analog package but I want a computer. Is now the right time to upgrade and if so what should I consider? Thanks

Zenagirl
09-03-2007, 08:14
Why not get a computer if you want one? I did my OW certfication with guages, and as soon as I bought my own gear, a computer was part of it. I haven't dove guages since my 2nd post-certification dive and love my AI computer. I have well over 100 dives on it and still love it. :D

finflippers
09-03-2007, 08:18
I bought my computer the day I signed up for OW. If you are going to get a computer I would suggest to get a nitrox computer you can dive it on air and if you decide to go nitrox in the future you won't have to be upgrading again.

wkowalski
09-03-2007, 08:55
I would say get one, but after a few dives your taste may change.

scubasamurai
09-03-2007, 09:02
if your diving is going places and you think you will do any enriched air nitrox dives, after the class. you should get a computer that has that capability, most do but check anyway and some are upgradeable. also
see if your LDS rents computers and check them out of the dives you will be doing. like diving a sink hole at 100ft in the dark, does it have a back light? how are your eyes, big screen or little screen?? also downloadable for us computer geeks.. and remember more money doesn't mean a better computer.

fire diver
09-03-2007, 09:11
I also agree to get a nitrox capable computer. You don't have to abandon your guages, put a clip on them and clip them off to your left hip. And there you have a backup incase your computer dies, or gets broken or lost.

FD

ertechsg
09-03-2007, 09:21
Take a look at this (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Atmos22Gauge) my wife uses it and loves it ..has a lot of extra features plus nitrox capability and its on sale not alot of money

skdvr
09-03-2007, 09:41
I too say go with the computer. I did dive with out for for about 15 dives and then got my Nemo. I really like having it and could not imagine diving with out it. There is nothing wrong with diving just with analog gauges. If you want to do that for a little while and check out some computers to see if you would want a wrist computer or a console AI or non AI. There are lots of choices out there, and like it has already been said just because it cost more does not mean that it is better...

I have a Mares Stainless Steel Nemo that I really like. I just bought a AI Oceanic VT Pro fro my wife that we both really like. I think that the next computer I get will be a AI computer. I will not upgrade until I run out of other things to buy (That probably will not happen) or I break this one. So hopefully that will not be for a while...

Phil

Xspect
09-03-2007, 10:09
I say always go with a computer no matter how much you dive. Its always good to have. I still dive with gauges (as a backup)

creggur
09-03-2007, 13:52
Yep get it, and go ahead and get one that's nx capable as well. You won't regret it.

finflippers
09-03-2007, 15:42
Also you will probably want to make sure it has User-replaceable batteries.

Black-Gorrilla
09-03-2007, 15:50
if you want it, and can afford it, then go for it!!
you're gonna end up getting one anyway, might as well from the start.
how much are you planning on spending?

fire diver
09-03-2007, 16:27
Also you will probably want to make sure it has User-replaceable batteries.

YES! Very important!

FD

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 15:52
If you're still in classes, I would ask your instructor if they want to train you on tables first and computers later, or if they plan to train you tables-only or computers-only.

I highly recommend learning on tables, as it gives a more thorough understanding of the mechanics that computers use under the hood. You can always go to a computer later very easily, but it's harder to go the other direction.

subsur
09-04-2007, 15:56
i'd say wait and finish the class and your OW dives. there are many features in a dive computer and depending on your future diving you may or may not need all/some of them. if money is an issue - get a non-AI wrist computer with Nitrox capability.

ReefHound
09-04-2007, 16:22
I also suggest waiting as you will have enough new tasks/skills to learn without adding in learning the buttons on a new computer. Plus you need to learn how to read analog gauges anyway.

Finally, there will be the inevitable "wrist vs console" issue for you to wrestle with. Try to rent or borrow both styles and see what feels more comfortable.

CrzyJay456
09-04-2007, 18:05
i see that generally in this forum, any time you talk of spending money, everyone is all for it!!
i say, DO IT. you know you want to!

ReefHound
09-04-2007, 18:18
It's always easier to spend someone else's money, isn't it?

CrzyJay456
09-04-2007, 18:38
It's always easier to spend someone else's money, isn't it?

i think it's always fun to spend money! :smiley4:

Phestr
09-04-2007, 23:42
I would say dive the tables until they are second nature, and then you will truly appreciate the computer. I put it off for 2 years, but when I finally got one, it was amazing. Also, since you have a full set of gauges, you don't need to fork out the big bucks on an AI.

cummings66
09-05-2007, 07:22
Tables are easy to use and understand so once you learn them and get comfortable with it then I'd say it's time to use the computer. If you want a computer, and if you intend on doing boat dives you're probably going to find the boat operator requires a computer anyways and now is as good as any to get it.

When you do as others have said, user replaceable batteries and Nitrox capability are 2 important things to consider. If you can only afford the cheapest one out there then wait until you can get the computer that offers the above.

Zenagirl
09-05-2007, 07:34
I guess I don't see the point of diving tables for awhile before going to a computer. Sure, learn the tables and the theory behind them, but a computer will give you a whole lot more dive time. The idea of diving every single dive as a square profile and shorting myself half of my dive time because of the restrictions of the tables doesn't make me do the happy dance. Think I'll stick to a computer and stick to encouraging folks to get one whenever they want.