PDA

View Full Version : Ear Dryer

kalokairi
09-03-2007, 04:22
I have problems with my inner ears after diving. My husband's mom bought me an ear dryer but do those really work? I have not tried it yet but I was trying to come up with other methods as well. If I leave water in my ears I have bad earaches and infections.

Cheddarchick
09-03-2007, 06:48
After numerous ear infections, I bought the Ear dryer. I love it. BUT! I also use Ear Beer to combat the ickies. 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 saline solution, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide in a dropper bottle. After diving for the day, lay on your side and fill your ear with the solution and remain still for 5 minutes. Flip over and do the other side while you ear dry with your dryer on the first ear. Finsh remaining eardrying after 5 minutes. I haven't had an infecction since I started this routine. I get them after quarry diving the most....I will take it with me to the quarry and treat my ears there just by squiriting a little in after each dive.

scubasamurai
09-03-2007, 09:04
makes you wonder what is in the quarry water. myself never use it the dryer, but i bought dry ears at the local drug store and a couple of drops prior and a couple after words, problem solved.

i also watch, silly as it sounds, that when i look directly up the water gets in the ears , so i do a roll to check topside sometimes. just me i suppose

skdvr
09-03-2007, 09:34
Take a look here (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1297) we talk about ear beer. I have never had ear infections after diving but just to keep the insides of my ears healthy I have started using the ear beer at the end of the dive day. Give it a shot. There is lots of good info in the linked post..

Phil

Xspect
09-03-2007, 10:07
Is ear beer something you buy or is it strictly a home brew. I would be would about the PH balance. So the alcohol would be just right so it can help dry the ear. Is my concerns arent a big issue

Hollywood703
09-03-2007, 10:47
I keep a bag of qtips and a small peroxide bottle in with my dive first aid kit....when i am done diving....I use the q-tips to get left over water out first, then a clean one with peroxide....I have dove some nasty places for work, and have yet to get any infections....

underwaterdan
09-03-2007, 11:28
My ENT doctor says the worse thing you can do is use a q-tip. Basically he said let the wax build up in your ear for as long as possible. Also make sure when showering not to get soap in the ear, as that stays in and eats at the natural wax protection in your ear.

skdvr
09-03-2007, 11:58
I too have heard and read that you are not supposed to use a q-tip in your ear because so many people actually hurt them selves with them or even leave parts of the q-tip behind in their ear. I cannot help myself I have to use them. So far no problems as I am very carefull not tp push hard inside my ear.

The Ear Beer is just a home brew. There are things like it that you can buy but I have head lots of ENT's just recommend the alcohol and vinegar.

Phil

Ramgib
09-03-2007, 12:57
My home brew is 1/3 peroxide, 1/3 alcohol, and 1/3 vinegar. Good for killing bacteria. Lean head over, use dropper to put in up ear. Move jaw around to work in down. Repeat for other ear.

I also like to use this before a dive. It seems to help me clear much better.

divechaplain-sara
09-03-2007, 13:05
Doc's Pro Plugs do a great job of keeping the water out of my ears--then Swimmer's Ear is a commerical option to the ear beer. I've never heard of an ear dryer before. Is it like a hairdryer, where you blow air in? It seems like that would create additional ear trauma.

Flatliner
09-03-2007, 13:35
I will second the Doc's Pro Plugs and I will also point out that contrary to your MD's advice, excessive ear wax build up will make you MORE prone to having problems equalizing. It may help prevent an infection but I don't think the cost is worth it personally.

underwaterdan
09-03-2007, 13:47
I never had a problem with equalizing because of that, but it makes sense that it might cause a problem if you have a ton of extra wax built up. Normal wax build up is what I was talking about though, normal wax buildup is a sign of a healthy ear.

Cheddarchick
09-03-2007, 18:54
http://www.dryear.net/ The Sahara Ear dryer....

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 20:53
After numerous ear infections, I bought the Ear dryer. I love it. BUT! I also use Ear Beer to combat the ickies. 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 saline solution, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide in a dropper bottle. After diving for the day, lay on your side and fill your ear with the solution and remain still for 5 minutes. Flip over and do the other side while you ear dry with your dryer on the first ear. Finsh remaining eardrying after 5 minutes. I haven't had an infecction since I started this routine. I get them after quarry diving the most....I will take it with me to the quarry and treat my ears there just by squiriting a little in after each dive.

i've always just put a few drops of alcohol in my year, left it in for a few seconds and turned over, never had to soak my ears for 5 minutes to have the water out.
the funny thing is... i get tons of water in my ear in a 6ft deep pool, just from hanging out. but at 35-45 feet... nothing? why?

Cheddarchick
09-06-2007, 05:38
I think I am just paraniod.....But it does work...

Foo2
09-06-2007, 09:17
http://www.dryear.net/ The Sahara Ear dryer....

My instructor had this exact same ear dryer....he swears by it!:smiley20:

mwhities
09-06-2007, 09:29
I just use 50% distilled vinegar and 50% filtered water. After that, no issues at all.

Michael

Charlotte Smith
09-06-2007, 09:38
The alcohol and vinegar is what I use.....But I have wondered about ear dryer...My first year of diving was one big ear infection and OW deep dive was where I had the reverse block...let me know how it works....

I keep Cipro antibiotics for the ear on hand..I think mine is the allergies....

lucidblue
09-06-2007, 22:48
I've been thinking about the Pro Plugs, but wouldn't mind trying the ear dryer... I'd have less chance of losing that.

I haven't done much research into the Pro Plugs, do you have to get fitted for them?

danielh03
09-06-2007, 23:04
Anything in the ear while diving kinda of makes me leary, must be all the times my instructor said NEVER PUT EAR PLUGS OF ANY KIND IN WHILE DIVING... but he has been wrong before. How many cases have you heard of the Pro Plugs failing in some way?