PDA

View Full Version : Lake mead.

bigman241
01-14-2010, 19:56
hey going to florida in march to get my cert. We had talked about doing a trip to vages this summer. maybe loose some money. Then it hit me lake mead was out there. How is the diving there? We where there a few years back and we could see 15 feet down maybe more. Is it worth hauling the gear out there.

inventor
01-14-2010, 20:02
Vis varies, but is much better now thanks to Al-Quaqqa (invasive mussels). The vis on a regular basis is 40 or more, and I've seen it farther than I can estimate, probably over 60. I've heard 70 and 80, but not sure about that. If you don't have a boat, then you really aren't going to see much. Some of the cool stuff is ag piles, and other equipment and facilities used to build Hoover Dam.

bigman241
01-27-2010, 13:48
thank buddy

dkh6070
01-27-2010, 14:10
, and other equipment and facilities used to build Hoover Dam.

Inventor, Are the tunnels used to divert the water during construction above or below current water levels?

bigman241
01-29-2010, 21:15
now that would be a good dive

, and other equipment and facilities used to build Hoover Dam.

Inventor, Are the tunnels used to divert the water during construction above or below current water levels?

bmp51
02-02-2010, 00:14
divert tunnels became the spillways, but you can see some hopers etc though I would not dive inside the "tunnels" w\out cave training. it can be dangerous. one of them has a split.

if you are a tech diver you can do the B29 or the PBY, a few charters are members on our site lvdivers.com.

mitsuguy
02-02-2010, 03:40
divert tunnels became the spillways, but you can see some hopers etc though I would not dive inside the "tunnels" w\out cave training. it can be dangerous. one of them has a split.

if you are a tech diver you can do the B29 or the PBY, a few charters are members on our site lvdivers.com.

IIRC, when I was there, that thing was sitting at about 150... with the water as low as it is now, it should be real close to recreational levels??? Wouldn't be able to spend much time without getting into deco obligation, but even to spend 8 minutes (NDL at 130) would be a worthwhile dive, I would think...

edit: looks like in 07, it was actually at 138, as referenced by a review on Scubaboard... but, something I didn't think of was that you can only do the dive through Tech Diving Limited in Las Vegas, so, even if it is at 130ish, they are going to want full tech setups...

dkh6070
02-02-2010, 07:21
IIRC, when I was there, that thing was sitting at about 150... with the water as low as it is now, it should be real close to recreational levels??? Wouldn't be able to spend much time without getting into deco obligation, but even to spend 8 minutes (NDL at 130) would be a worthwhile dive, I would think...

edit: looks like in 07, it was actually at 138, as referenced by a review on Scubaboard... but, something I didn't think of was that you can only do the dive through Tech Diving Limited in Las Vegas, so, even if it is at 130ish, they are going to want full tech setups...

Would still be a cool dive just to say you did it. Kinda like visiting Old Faithful in Yellowstone, not much once you get there but you can say you went.

bigman241
02-12-2010, 21:00
YA kind of like paying 15000 to go to africa and killing a huge elephant. You want to do it but only once.

Would still be a cool dive just to say you did it. Kinda like visiting Old Faithful in Yellowstone, not much once you get there but you can say you went.

paintsnow
02-13-2010, 14:08
Well, currently nobody holds a commercial permit to dive the b29. Diving it is strictly prohibited unless you are on an approved charter boat...and with no permits at the moment, it is legally not diveable.

Also, the boat ties in quite a way off from the actual plane, so the swim along the bottom to get to the plane would eat your NDL, meaning you wouldnt even get to see it.

mitsuguy
02-13-2010, 15:17
they ALL lost their charter????

any reasoning that we know of???

paintsnow
02-14-2010, 00:18
There are plenty of people qualified to run them, and have the boats necessary etc. The park service simply has not given out any permits for a while. They have better things to do then worry about diving in the lake.

Its an issue the local diving community has been having for a long time now. Several years ago our scuba park was no longer usable due to the amount the lake levels have dropped, it was all above water.

They have a new location, but are waiting on an environmental impact study to be completed so that they can install signs along the already present road to the dive site. Its been a while...

mitsuguy
02-14-2010, 04:50
that sucks man... I know just from looking on Google Earth how much its dropped versus when I dived there... And its not even completely updated, so, if its any less, then its all the more crazy low... I personally say F California - they can get their own water... (IIRC, thats why the water levels are so low)