PDA

View Full Version : AI wirelss comp question.

1FAST05
01-15-2010, 19:23
I am looking at ordering the Aeries Elite T3 AI and was wondering what happens if the transmitter is broken during the dive. Will the computer revert to gauge mode or just crap out. I looked in the manual but couldn't find anything regarding this.

CompuDude
01-15-2010, 19:39
Most will simply cease providing any info about tank pressure. The computer itself goes on functioning, but it can't provide any guesses about remaining bottom time, because it no longer knows how fast you're using gas.

PlatypusMan
01-15-2010, 20:40
Most will simply cease providing any info about tank pressure. The computer itself goes on functioning, but it can't provide any guesses about remaining bottom time, because it no longer knows how fast you're using gas.

CompuDude is dead on, as usual. The transmitter in the T3 is only sending tank pressure info off the first stage, so you will still have your depth and time info available, but nothing concerning gas consumption or remainder.

PPM

tc_rain
01-15-2010, 20:49
A lot of people will back up an AI with a brass gauge just in case of AI failure

rawalker
01-15-2010, 23:35
The computer operates without the pressure info so if you have a backup pressure gauge you can continue the dive. Without a backup you can end the dive fix or replace the transmitter and continue your day of diving.
I keep an extra transmitter and extra batteries in my save a dive kit for that eventuality.

CalBearister99
01-18-2010, 11:53
Agree with everything said above. I've got one and love it. If/when you download your dives, double-check the data though. Many of the units had (mine included) a bug in the chip. Aeris was great and replaced it for me under warranty - and did the annual inspection and battery replacement for free. They even replaced my scratched face protector. Awesome customer service.

bigman241
01-18-2010, 20:20
This is why after I do my cert and start diving local I will add a gauge just to be safe. Better safe then dead. But of course if it dies you can just start heading to the top. Only issue I see is if you look every 20 minutes and you can 10 minutes of air at 100 feet. You would have no idea unless you look often enough and keep a good eye on it

1FAST05
01-18-2010, 21:03
I will add a brass and glass to my list for my next order but I did just order a 30cf pony which I will dive with all the time with its own brass and glass and figure if I lose my AI and am not sure how much air is left I will switch to my pony and head to the surface.