PDA

View Full Version : How many moisture munchers should I bring?

scubageorge
01-16-2010, 08:36
Hi, another question for everyone. How long do moisture munchers typically last and how many should I bring for a 8 day trip to Roatan? I will have a camera and 2 strobes. Thanks.

DevilDiver
01-16-2010, 09:05
Hi, another question for everyone. How long do moisture munchers typically last and how many should I bring for a 8 day trip to Roatan? I will have a camera and 2 strobes. Thanks.

They won't be able to fit inside your strobes, at least I have never seen this.

For the camera, this would depend on the camera and housing. I have had cameras/housings in the past that actually had a place inside the housing specificly for a MM. With the housing I use now I use 2 small soft pack MM's per day or as needed if I feel they have been saturated.

With that being said I try not to open the housing until the end of the diving day for download, inspection and charging. It's good to have a couple of extras if needed.

DevilDiver
01-16-2010, 09:25
Also, I take the "old" MM's and put a couple in the case I carry my rechargable batteries in and I will throw a few in my housing durring storage.

Don't travel with the housing closed/sealed........

scubageorge
01-16-2010, 16:03
DD, thanks for the info. I got a DC800 Maxx. How should I travel with the camera? Do I place a lint free cloth between the door and the body and not latch it? Should I remove the o-ring or leave it in place?

DevilDiver
01-16-2010, 18:21
DD, thanks for the info. I got a DC800 Maxx. How should I travel with the camera? Do I place a lint free cloth between the door and the body and not latch it? Should I remove the o-ring or leave it in place?

Yes, remove O-ring and place in zip-lock (unless instructed different my manufacture). I will run warm water (remove extra grease) over it and clean and inspect it before packing. When I reassemble inspect again (of course you have an extra for back up, just in case), clean o-ring track on housing, lightly grease and replace o-ring, and inspect again. For cleaning the housing o-ring track I use those little foam eye make-up things with the plastic handle, I don't like the q-tips that some people use because of the chance of stray fibers.

Yes, a micro-fiber cloth with work, try to stay away from anything that could have lint or fibers that could get on your o-rings. The one I use is 24x24 and I use it to place on the surface that I am working on with my equipment also to absorb water and offer a little protection to my stuff.

Hope this helps........

-DD

gee
01-16-2010, 23:06

I use a pair of MMs, the small cylinder kind, and replace them every other day. I travel with an old o-ring in the camera & replace it with a good o-ring when I unpack.

scubageorge
01-17-2010, 08:31

I use a pair of MMs, the small cylinder kind, and replace them every other day. I travel with an old o-ring in the camera & replace it with a good o-ring when I unpack.

gee, At first I was thinking that could be knida expensive but I guess it is pretty cheap insurance to make sure you don't flood your stuff. So do you bring 2 spare o-rings for everything? One to put in right away and another just in case.

gee
01-17-2010, 23:18

gee, At first I was thinking that could be knida expensive but I guess it is pretty cheap insurance to make sure you don't flood your stuff. So do you bring 2 spare o-rings for everything? One to put in right away and another just in case.

scubageorge, I take 2 for the case plus the old o-ring just for travel and 2 for the strobe. By the way, I'm not recommending that you need to travel with an o-ring in the case. I just happen to have one that I don't trust underwater since it has a rough spot on it and I hate to throw stuff away. regardless, they are inexpensive and, as you say, cheap insurance against flooding. I rejuvenate the MMs so compared to most scuba or photo gear, that's an inexpensive way to prevent fogging,

Diver Kat
01-17-2010, 23:52
Yes, remove O-ring and place in zip-lock (unless instructed different my manufacture). I will run warm water (remove extra grease) over it and clean and inspect it before packing. When I reassemble inspect again (of course you have an extra for back up, just in case), clean o-ring track on housing, lightly grease and replace o-ring, and inspect again.
Just FYI ... manual for the DC800 specifies that o-ring is not to be lubricated ...

I thought that a bit odd after having an Olympus camera housing that did require lubrication - thought all o-rings required it - but apparently Sealife housings do not. They also provide a small brush for cleaning the o-ring.

As for munchers, I usually bring a few spares, but the seal on my DC800 has been great and have not needed to change out the muncher during a trip yet.

scubageorge
01-18-2010, 21:41
I noticed in the owners manual it states not to lube the o-ring. I was debating what to do as I have an older sea & sea 35mm that requires to lube the o-ring. Where do you get your spare o-rings from? i see that ST sells the o-ring for the camera but not the strobes.