PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for best new thread prize.

MagnaBoxer
09-03-2007, 11:20
Larry, how about having a small selection of like priced items for the winner of the best new thread to choose from? Light kits, wet suits, fin and mask combo, or even a ST gift certificate. The bag is really nice, but if I had my choice I'd spend 25 bucks on a bag and have picked out something really nice that I badly need. Ok, well really badly want might be better terminology.

divechaplain-sara
09-03-2007, 13:38
Hey now, the prizes that are being offered aren't ceramic dalmations.

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 13:43
Think big man, How about a Ranger LTD, new dive camera outfit or similarly priced items.

NitroWill
09-03-2007, 14:17
This thread is pretty bad taste if you ask me..

How can you stand to be picky when they are giving things away just for posting on a free message board? I don't get it..This just doesn't sit well with me :smiley21:

FishFood
09-03-2007, 14:20
This thread is pretty bad taste if you ask me..

How can you stand to be picky when they are giving things away just for posting on a free message board? I don't get it..This just doesn't sit well with me :smiley21:

Same thing I was thinking Nitro...

Beggers can't be choosers comes to mind.

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 14:53
Hey guys, lighten up a little, I don't think anyone is begging for anything here or taking things too seriously and I don't think Larry will take offense to MagnaBoxer's suggestion.

I for one did not take this post as a jab at ST's generosity. I think a gift certificate would be a good idea. Never figuring I would ever be in the running anyway my previous post was all in fun. I don't even know what the last prize was.

divechaplain-sara
09-03-2007, 15:08
I'm thinking that Larry is probablly getting the prizes donated by the manufaturers in trade for a month's worth of advertising their product. If Larry went to saying it was a Gift Certificate each month, then it would be coming out of Larry's pocket. Plus with the different prizes highlighted each month, it gives people an opportunity to spot something that we might want to buy--a gift certificate doesn't do that.

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 15:10
I'm thinking that Larry is probablly getting the prizes donated by the manufaturers in trade for a month's worth of advertising their product. If Larry went to saying it was a Gift Certificate each month, then it would be coming out of Larry's pocket. Plus with the different prizes highlighted each month, it gives people an opportunity to spot something that we might want to buy--a gift certificate doesn't do that.

Good point.

NitroWill
09-03-2007, 15:18
I think he's missing the whole point of the contest give away..

They are giving away an item that could be donated/close out/etc for one..

To be asking for other options in the same price range is pretty poor..

If you're given a new Ford Mustang are you going to say "ehh come on..id rather have an F150"..

It's a contest and its all out of generosity, scuba toys doesnt even have to have a contest to begin with..to try and get more out of the contest is pretty poor taste if you ask me..Theyre already giving us a great forum and a $60 giftcard (and more) - I dont see how you can stand to be picky when they try and give something away..That's just wrong to me..

deepdiver47
09-03-2007, 15:43
Think big man, How about a Ranger LTD, new dive camera outfit or similarly priced items.

WV, you will do just about anything to get your hands on a Zeagle, won't you?

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 15:44

I fully agree :smiley2:

deepdiver47
09-03-2007, 15:49
MB, no offense. But I am in the same camp as NW. You take what they offer and be appreciative and humble about it.

In general I think Larry and Joe have done their part (and then some) in giving us discounts, education and they BACK what they sell as they want you to be satisfied that what we are buying meets/exceeds your needs.

Let's face it, like airlines I have a choice on where I spend my money. I choose to do business with these guys. Even if they do need a shave :)

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 16:41

WV, you will do just about anything to get your hands on a Zeagle, won't you? I am shameless. :smiley19: :smiley2:

Xspect
09-03-2007, 18:39
ST doesnt have to give away anything. They have great services. Great prices. Good board. discounts for being a member of the board. gift certificates.

Who cares what prize they give. Its the thought that count. If I won a paper clip from them I would be flattered.

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 20:50
the gift is a bonus on top of all of the stuff you can pick up from the forums... and not monetary valued items...
look at the knowledge that flies around this board... from gear techs to manufacturer's and good conversations.
i mean, you can deal with manufacturers on SB, but then you have to deal with the bashing and flaming as well. this is like a sanctuary.
i was told about this place from a friend, and i will shop on here from now on. on top of 10% off, i also get peace of mind knowing that whatever is wrong with my order (if it happens) that it will be taken care of.!!

finflippers
09-03-2007, 21:20
I think that ST is being very generous with everything they are doing and would be more then happy with winning anything that they would feel compelled to give me.

With that said THANK YOU Scuba Toys for all you are doing here.

MagnaBoxer
09-03-2007, 21:24
It was only a suggestion and I never intended to set everyone off. Joe and Larry can choose to do one of two things. Take it into consideration, or completely ignore it. That's their choice and it won't bother me whichever they choose. I've been a ST customer since Feb. 2007 and since that time I've purchased over 4K of gear from them. No matter what the replies are to this thread I plan on buying about 2K more by the end of this year. They are great guys and I hope they aren't quite so offended by the original post as some of you seem to be. Maybe they are getting the gear free from the manufacturer just for advertising it. How would I know that?

[QUOTE=Manny-R;43686]you can deal with manufacturers on SB, but then you have to deal with the bashing and flaming as well.
QUOTE]

Exactly, why go to SB when I can get it right here?

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 22:48
I dont think people are flaming you matey.

ReefHound
09-03-2007, 22:56

What do you call it when people accuse you of being "picky" and saying you and the thread you started are in "poor taste"? I also think ST is being quite generous and we should be appreciative but I don't think the OP had greedy intentions. He was trying to offer suggestions and create an entertaining thread, and didn't deserve the righteous indignation. Instead of a bitchfest this could have been a parade of prize suggestions that had the effect of highlighting ST's vast array of enticing products.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 22:59

What do you call it when people accuse you of being "picky" and saying you and the thread you started are in "poor taste"? I also think ST is being quite generous and we should be appreciative but I don't think the OP had greedy intentions. He was trying to offer suggestions and create an entertaining thread, and didn't deserve the righteous indignation. Instead of a bitchfest this could have been a parade of prize suggestions that had the effect of highlighting ST's vast array of enticing products.

ok maybe the "poor taste" comment was a slight flame but the rest of it just seems good natured.

ReefHound
09-03-2007, 23:12
ok maybe the "poor taste" comment was a slight flame but the rest of it just seems good natured.

The comment was made several times, and at least three others stated they back the person who said it. Is it "good natured" or is it "piling on"? When somebody throws out an idea and you have eight posts saying the idea is bad, I'm not sure why somebody comes along and thinks the forum needs their brilliant contribution of adding the ninth post against it.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 23:44
:smilie40: Alright we have to resolve this with rock, paper and sissors so this doesnt turn sour like some of the threads on SB. I only counted 3 posts against. :smiley2: for the so called piling on :smiley20:

deepdiver47
09-04-2007, 07:04
[quote=MagnaBoxer;43726]It was only a suggestion and I never intended to set everyone off. Joe and Larry can choose to do one of two things. Take it into consideration, or completely ignore it. That's their choice and it won't bother me whichever they choose. I've been a ST customer since Feb. 2007 and since that time I've purchased over 4K of gear from them. No matter what the replies are to this thread I plan on buying about 2K more by the end of this year. They are great guys and I hope they aren't quite so offended by the original post as some of you seem to be. Maybe they are getting the gear free from the manufacturer just for advertising it. How would I know that?

[quote=Manny-R;43686]you can deal with manufacturers on SB, but then you have to deal with the bashing and flaming as well.
QUOTE]

MB, please do not think like that. This is not nor will it be SB. You have a point though you could have taken it wrong. I thought (and wrote) the same things weeks ago but when you get a feel on how these guys work you just can't ask for more. Stick around for awhile

:pain1277:

ScubaToys Larry
09-04-2007, 07:43
Hey guys... Let me clear the air on a few things here. First, I take no offense by the thread, or the thought. So no need to say anything about anyone who posted here - one way or the other.

Now, time for a little business lesson for y'all. (I have to use y'all now and then since we are in Texas.)

I've seen a few threads including this one, where people talk about donations from the manufacturer - and then it doesn't cost me anything. We'll guess what... it still does.

Manufacturers basically have a percentage of sales that they will kick toward a dealer and their promotions. Let's just say it's 1%. So I buy $20,000 of someones stuff... they'll kick me $200 in prizes for auctions, give-aways, etc. And they normally do this on an annual basis... and it's normally less than 1%... but just so you understand the procedure with easy math numbers. If I give that away here - it's less we can give away at one of our parties, contests at the store, etc. So really, it is just a small percentage kick back - not really "free stuff" when you look at it.

So now, when people say things like "have so and so donate stuff to give away because then it doesn't cost you anything..." here is the business 101 class.

At the end of the year... when you add up everything we do in sales, all the expenses, overhead, insurance, labor, etc.... I would be lucky to make 1% of the gross the business does. When I sell a BC for $400, I don't make $400... I'm lucky to make 4 bucks... tops.

If a manufacturer gives me an item as a give away, I still have to amortize the entire overhead associated with the sale of each product. Look at it this way. Let's suppose I took a year, and didn't sell anything. I talked all the manufacturers into giving me free stuff for the year, and I gave it all away. So then it wouldn't cost me anything... right? Oh yea... other than the 5 million dollars in overhead expenses for building, utilities, employees, etc.

And if someone comes in and I give them a BC or a snorkel or whatever... that is one less BC or snorkel or whatever we are going to sell.

So about this monthly give away thing... These are items plucked off the shelf - the manufacturers have not donated any of the items. And the idea is, we take an item that anyone could probably use. If I put up a inexpensive reg 1st and 2nd... someone who had a real nice setup would not really need it, and someone who had nothing, would still need an octo, gauges, etc.

So I was trying to give away things anyone could use. A new suit, lights, a dive bag... Imagine how the would would turn upside down if a DIR guy won a set of split fins! :smiley36:

So we are just taking some items, that also allows us to show a picture of it on all your pages, promoting that light, knife, bag, suit, for that month as well. We have multiple promotions going on gift certificates... and in this case, we just decided to do it up this way.

After listening to some folks, we might change it up to not the thread starter next month... but the post that or posts that have the most positive effect on the board... I'm not sure. Let me know what you think, and if the above rant makes sense and is fair!

creggur
09-04-2007, 08:02
I think the guys at ST are being very generous with the current promotions that are run. If you want to make it for posts instead of started thread that'd be great. Or just pick a name at random like a lottery, still fare.

I don't think the OP meant to offend anyone, just making a suggestion, Larry didn't take offense and it's his money, so no need to get upset at the OP.

I'm just glad to see people jump in to try and keep things civil. That's what will keep this place different from other boards....

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 08:12
Back to the question.... How about the new Zeagle Octo?

Maybe if the prize is gear the winner could give a review of the product for the forum...

Anyway... Thanks Larry! Hope to see you on the 23rd @ CS.

PlatypusMan
09-04-2007, 08:29
...After listening to some folks, we might change it up to not the thread starter next month... but the post that or posts that have the most positive effect on the board... I'm not sure. Let me know what you think, and if the above rant makes sense and is fair!

Larry: I like your idea of changing things to posts that had the most positive effect on the board.

It would be a bit tougher on you guys to judge which would be the winner, but I have seen posts that generated great conversation, a small amount of controversy and some just plain fun.

Flaming and bashing has been kept to a minimum on this board -- primarily, in my opinion, due to the self-selecting nature of the folks who post here. Some are refugees from other boards, where flaming is a fact of life and are exercising restraint here to prevent the perceived chaos from where they came from. Because of this, in my opinion again, a great deal of civil discussion and discourse occurs here that does not happen on several other boards related to our hobby/sport.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is the folks who are here choose to respect one another's opinion-- even if they have a differing one.

This is what makes it possible for everyone from extremely new SCUBA students to folks with thousands of dives under their weight belts to post freely, and without fear of being roundly trounced by a multitude of "experts" on the board who perceive themselves as knowing everything there is to know about our sport, and will brook no differing opinion from their own.

So, thanks Larry and Joe for making this site available to all of us.

divechaplain-sara
09-04-2007, 12:47
Hey Larry,

Thanks for the business lesson. I didn't mean to imply that the prizes didn't cost you anything but rather that there might be an economic reason for giving a particular prize and to point out that having a prize gave everyone a chance to see a piece of gear they might want. Your generosity is never in doubt. One only need compare your regular prices to the prices at other places to know that you aren't making a killing off of every sale.

ReefHound
09-04-2007, 13:23
I think the prize winners should have to submit a photo within 4 weeks showing the gear in action. We don't want these prizes just sitting in someone's closet getting dusty, do we?

CrzyJay456
09-04-2007, 18:19
holly cow.
i love the idea about best post rather than thread.

Cichlid
09-04-2007, 19:34
holly cow.
i love the idea about best post rather than thread.

I don't like that idea at all! Larry would win every other month and just keep the prize!

lucidblue
09-04-2007, 19:50
Thanks for the lesson Larry, it's important that everyone understands the prizes aren't cost free for you guys. ST is truly generous with all of the prizes, discounts, gift certificates for posting, etc. and we need to be thankful for what we're being given. I really think there have been quite a few threads/posts that just seem greedy to me. I'm not trying to flame here, it's just an observation and has been bothering me. I'm happy to be on a board that isn't a bunch of negative flaming and is full of great information and people that just want to enjoy diving. The prizes and discounts are an added bonus.

I like the idea of next month's prize going to the post that has the most positive effect on the board. I'm glad I'm not the one sifting through all the posts trying to figure out who wins. lol.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-04-2007, 19:53
it will be a tough one to judge for best post, thread still seems good but it all depends on people adding to the thread with their input. Maybe a vote for the top few best posts then send it to the polls for the masses to judge?

lucidblue
09-04-2007, 19:56
it will be a tough one to judge for best post, thread still seems good but it all depends on people adding to the thread with their input. Maybe a vote for the top few best posts then send it to the polls for the masses to judge?

Whether it is posts or threads, I like the idea of ST choosing a few that they like best and then letting the board vote. Probably a good way to figure out what everyone is interested in too.

jwdizney
09-04-2007, 21:08
I think it's VERY generous that ST offers the 10% discount, plus the $60 for posting on the board.. AND the 'best post' prizes! ... only thing i can think is that it would be cool if there were "ScubaToy Rewards" earned for purchases that could be used for future purchases...kinda like BassProShops.... i mean, face it, we're gonna keep spending the bucks....

just a thought, Larry.....:smiley2:

MagnaBoxer
09-05-2007, 07:54
Look folks, as I stated earlier, the post was only a suggestion. Now that I read back through, the wording didn't come out quite the way I had intended. It ended with what was supposed to be a bit of a joke on myself in that I am always buying stuff that I want even if I don't need it. Sorry about that, better leave the humor to the comedians from now on.

My sincere intention was to make a positive contribution to this board as a member and yet it seemed to have come across to some of you as if the greedy, begging MagnaBoxer is trying to put Joe and Larry in the poorhouse. I'm not much of a public speaker either, but that doesn't make me a bad person. One stray post here and it seems as if I'm enemy no.1 and it's not something I'm used to.

Do I ask for my 10% discount when I make a purchase. You bet. Don't you? Do I beg off free stuff from ST. No, I pay for it with my hard earned cash.
Have I posted enough to claim my first gift cert? Yes, but I haven't claimed it and never intend to. I'm not much interested in being paid for posts because I obviously haven't made any positive contributions.

Like I said earlier, I am a customer of ST's and not a freeloader who just happened to come across this forum and started begging for stuff. As a matter of fact unless I get delayed flying out of Muscat tonight I'm planning on being there saturday to pick up the 3 Worthington 100's and the Brigade they have sized for me. I have no aspirations of ever winning any prize, and wasn't making a plea on a personal level. I'm just happy to have a place to come read the posts and learn from others.

So, from now on I'll leave the suggestions to others and be content to learn what I can. You may still see a foolish post from me now and again. Hopefully you'll still reply and help out a guy who always has some foolish question or another.

Joe and Larry, the bag is a great prize. Whoever wins it will be very lucky and my congratulations to them for winning it, and to you for being generous enough to give it.

To Joe, Larry and all who were offended it sincerely was not my intention and I apologize to one and all.

Peace

ReefHound
09-05-2007, 09:04
Now now, don't pout. Larry expressly stated he was not offended and that's all that matters. Those that kinda jumped on you probably didn't mean it to be seen as such. You'll find that you need to wear a thick skin and learn to brush off stuff on forums, even the tamest of forums and Scubatoys is one of the tamer ones running. It's just the nature of the medium. We don't know each other's history or manner to put comments in proper context, and tones of speech (sarcasm, humor, etc) are hard to express in words. Use and observe the emoticons liberally.

Let it go, you have to do that on forums. Never hold a grudge and never be afraid to join in on a discussion. I wanna see you post in at least three other threads by the end of the day.

(Can I have your $10 gift cert? :smiley36:)

ScubaToys Larry
09-05-2007, 09:32
Magna boxer... No hard feelings whatsoever... I've had multiple threads where people have said, "get this stuff from the manufacturer for a give away and it won't cost you anything"... Probably at least a half a dozen to this point... so I was responding to that general concept - not your post in particular - so please if it seems like I thought I was firing at you... please accept my apology. That's the only problem sometimes with boards... after words are immortalized, they are hard to take back, and sometimes, how you are interpreted is not what you meant.

So everyone... we'll try to keep coming up with cool games, prizes, work on the best way to make it fair, and give people incentive to hang around here... but it seems like the best incentive - is the great bunch of people that post here...

So hopefully - no hard feelings anywhere here... definitely none from me!

Vercingetorix
09-10-2007, 10:42
Larry,

To repeat what a few others said, "Thanks for the business lesson". I knew margins were razor thin in the scuba business; I didn't know they were THAT thin. Hopefully GattSplat is doing well.

I run a travel agency. I'm forever being hit-up by groups and charity organizations who tell me that cruise lines and resorts "give away their product. Can't you get one from them?" Hah!!! I'm happy just to be able to get brochures from them. Sometimes, they help pay for booth space at a trade show, it it's not much. I've got to do several million a year with a cruise line before they'll comp $50 for a show. Like you, after expenses, our margins are thin.

So, bro, thanks for your generosity and the help that you and your staff provide. Ya gotta do it for the fun, because the money's not there.