PDA

View Full Version : I think I decided on my camera....

NitroWill
09-03-2007, 11:22
After a lot of research..I think I finally decided on my camera..
Now keep in mind that this camera will be used equally on land - so some of the features might be desirable for me on land :smiley20:

Any comments welcome..

I think the camera Im going to go with is the new Canon G9
http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/380899.jpg

It seems like a very solid camera, great features, and at a price I can somewhat live with (Just under $500). Canon already has an UW housing avail for it for just under $200. I think this camera has the features that I like and more..Now to just save up the $500~ for when it comes out this month :smiley2:

Divegirl
09-04-2007, 23:41
Nice camera, from the looks. Canon is a great product. I have had LAND canon cameras for years, and they never fail, just become out dated>>>>

Don't know about the dive pictures, I bought the reefmaster mini!!!! Newbie you know
Good luck

BobArnold8265
09-05-2007, 09:39
I think you've made a very good choice. I currently am shooting with an Olympus C-8080 and am also considering the new Canon G9. The only question I have about this camera is how much (if any) shutter lag does it have ? My C-8080 takes wonderfully clear and sharp pictures but does have significant shutter lag which for action shots (like moving fish etc.) is really frustrating.

One other camera you might want to consider is the new Nikon P5100. It looks and has features very similar to the Canon G9. I think with in a few weeks there should be reviews and tests posted on both of these cameras. It might be worth waiting until you see the test results before you jump in. There are several websites that test digital cameras including www.dcresource.com (http://www.dcresource.com), www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com) and www.steves-digicams.com (http://www.steves-digicams.com) to name a few.

One other thing to consider is buying an Ikelite housing instead of the Canon housing. The Ike housing is built better and will come with a sync terminal so you can hook up an external strobe directly to your camera. This allows you to use the strobe in TTL mode (which allows the strobe to "talk" directly to the camera and provide the perfect exposure). The Ike housings are more expensive but I think they are worth it if you plan on keeping your camera for a long time. The Ikelite people are also great to work with and have provided me with lots of tips through the years to help me improve my underwater photography.

BobArnold8265
09-06-2007, 09:12
One more thought which actually came up in another thread. As you make your decision about a new camera always keep in mind that the quality of the lens is a key factor. There have been many expensive cameras with lots of bells and whistles that take mediocre pictures because the lens was sub par. There have also been many "cheap" cameras with very nice glass in front that are excellent picture takers. That's another reason why it might be best to see some test results by an independant lab before you buy.

thor
09-06-2007, 09:22
Is this camera available yet? Give us a full report on this camera if you get it. I have had my eye on this camera also.

NitroWill
09-06-2007, 09:31
Nope, not yet - it's suppose to be coming out this month..

Aussie
09-06-2007, 18:10
I agree with bob, the secret is in the lens and how much money you have to spend on your setup.

What housing are you going to put the canon in? Factory housings are normally cheaper but you get what you pay for. I prefer Ikelite after I have flooded 3 factory housings 2 canons 1 Olympus.

Something else to think about.

Aussie

my 5 cents worth. We got rid of 2 cents years ago

NitroWill
09-06-2007, 18:30
The G7 is a very good camera and I have seen some amazing shots topside and underwater with the camera. The G9 should have the same performance if not much improved - reviews should tell.

As for housing, ikelite said they don't know when/if they will release one yet - so canon might be the way to go for now as I just get use to the camera.

As for your flooding aussie, I know many (20+) friends who have used both canon and oly housings for many many years with no problems at all. I think it all comes down to caring for it and proper maintenance. Yes, ikelite does make good quality housings - but to start out I think id rather invest $400 less+ in the canon housing. Equipment insurance will come first too :)

FishFood
09-06-2007, 18:35
Equipment insurance will come first too

Who are you looking at for that?

NitroWill
09-06-2007, 18:35
Equipment insurance will come first too

Who are you looking at for that?

I haven't got that far yet...

FishFood
09-06-2007, 18:38
Ahhh. Gotcha.

Gives me an idea for a new thread...

diving4fun
09-19-2007, 10:17
The G9 looks like a great camera, and I'm glad they brought back RAW as a file option. I would personally wait for the Ikelite housing, instead of the Cannon housing, and a DS-125 strobe would be a nice addition to round out the rig.

My wife is using an Oly SP-350 in an Ikelite housing with the DS-125 strobe and she is very happy with it. If I was buying new today, I would probably look very seriously at the G9 and the options I noted above. The SP-350 is not nearly as nice as the G9, but I guess since it was less than 1/2 the cost ($199 new, when I bought it) and it does take darn nice underwater pictures I'll hang on to it for awhile.

sudnit5
09-19-2007, 12:08
Looks nice, let us know how you like it when you get it.

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 12:47
Looks to me like a G9 with Ike housing and a good stobe will be one heck of a good set-up. Can't wait to learn more about the camera !!!!