PDA

View Full Version : Hyperflex Brand wetsuits/ your thoughts?

Capt. Morgan
01-19-2010, 11:30
Does anyone have experience of Hyperflex brand wetsuits? What kind of quality,etc. do they have. They are very inexpensive, and I was wondering if they are cheap as well.

mrmccoy
01-20-2010, 06:22
I think I asked about the same suits a while back. I found them on eBay IIRC but haven't tried one yet.

Capt. Morgan
01-20-2010, 10:43
I have done some research since the first post. Looks like they are designed more for surfing than scuba. Hard to see differences between the two. Is it more marketing than actual materials and design?

ScubaToys Larry
01-20-2010, 11:59
I'm not sure which materials they use, but a lot of the manufactures we get suits from also make them for different industries - and they use different materials for the two different industries.

Big difference with scuba obviously, is the suit will see a lot of compression, while someone on a surf board will not. And if the neoprene compresses too easily, then the suit gets thinner, and will provide less warmth.

The main insulating factor is actually air bubbles in the neoprene, and we know that if we do not have some rigidity in the neoprene cell structure, a 7 mil suit would be a 3.5 mil suit at 33 feet, and a 1.7 suit at 66 feet, and a about a .75 mil at 100...

Obviously any suit will be more than just what a air balloon would be at depth, but, that is the theory of the different materials anyway as it was explained to me by one of the manufacturers that wanted me to pick up their surf line as well.

Capt. Morgan
01-21-2010, 11:40
That makes senses and of course it would be hard to distinguish between materials until you try them out. Then its too late. Is there any agency or independent "lab" that does this sort of testing to determine? I know Scuba Lab does some, but nothing along those "surfing" lines.

wereeagle
10-09-2010, 22:15
Hyperflex is a division of Henderson Aquatics...I just got a pair of Amp 3/2mm round toe surfing boots, quite nice.

Does anyone have experience of Hyperflex brand wetsuits? What kind of quality,etc. do they have. They are very inexpensive, and I was wondering if they are cheap as well.

wereeagle
10-09-2010, 22:23
Wow, "1.7 suit at 66 feet"!! Now I'm really worrying about my newly purchased Akona Quantum Stretch 7mm wetsuit. Since it's "4-way super-stretch neoprene", would it be even thinner than normal neoprene at depth? This wetsuit is very comfortable to wear, but if it's less warm than normal 7mm neoprene, I might need a vest...

The main insulating factor is actually air bubbles in the neoprene, and we know that if we do not have some rigidity in the neoprene cell structure, a 7 mil suit would be a 3.5 mil suit at 33 feet, and a 1.7 suit at 66 feet, and a about a .75 mil at 100...