PDA

View Full Version : Metal detectors

Kidder
09-03-2007, 11:44
Does anyone have experience with metal detectors? Which ones are the best? Are they worth it?

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 12:40
I guess you are refering to terrestrial machines.They are fun to fool around with and all work under the same basic principles. It is just a matter of how spoiled do you want to be as to how much you can spend on one.

Aquatic machines I have no experience with but if I had a boat and was near the ocean I would own one and spend a fair amount of time scanning old wreck sites. You can bet on that.

Xspect
09-03-2007, 13:16
I bet you would fine enough stuff to pay for your dive.

Kidder
09-03-2007, 14:21
Its seems that JW Fishers are pretty good. As well as the Fisher

przeor
09-07-2007, 02:55

Our underwater club we started for the kids at my wife's school recieved a $500 gift certificate from JW Fishers. It was a donation that the club can not use- let me know if you are interested, we would be willing to sell if off at pennies on the dollar to raise funds for the club

Debraw
09-07-2007, 07:56
I have a handheld Aurora Micro Pulse that fits comfortable on my hand and wrist. I have only one chance so far to use it. I really like how compact it is and easy to use. Ran about $550.00.

Doghouse
09-07-2007, 08:30
If you want to try it out before spending the big bucks, you can go DIY!

Go to harbor freight and pick up the wand style nail detector for wood working. (this looks like a security wand). Then use a Food Saver vacuum bagger to seal it into a bag. You will NOT have the strap, but it would be waterproof and in vibrate mode, you could feel when you waved it over metal.

greyzen
09-07-2007, 08:36

Go to harbor freight and pick up the wand style nail detector for wood working. (this looks like a security wand). Then use a Food Saver vacuum bagger to seal it into a bag. You will NOT have the strap, but it would be waterproof and in vibrate mode, you could feel when you waved it over metal.
Oh my god you are a genius!!

I have literally been sitting around pestering my wife (she's a physical chemist) on how to DIY one of these thingies.

I'm convinced I know where a huge untapped treasure trove
in Austin is! THERE BE GOLD IN THEM THAR HILLS!

torrey
09-07-2007, 10:07
Would sealing the wand not cause overheating? Do the electronics need to "breathe" at all?

edit: based on this wand (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94138) offered by Harbor Freight, it looks like the metal can't be more than 13/16 of an inch deep. Are there wands that go deeper? It seems like a great idea if you can make it work.

rubberduck
09-07-2007, 10:11

I have heard the JW Fishers were good as well. I actually live near his shop in MA. I have always wanted to stop in but haven't had the chance yet.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 08:48

This is an awesome idea. I love finding lost stuff. What's the best thing that anyone has found with a metal detector?