PDA

View Full Version : Drying a BCD

amajamar
09-03-2007, 13:08
Instructions for washing and drying a Zeagle BCD state to "dry upside down".

(And no "as long as you take it off first", cracks...lol!)

But really, how many of you guys dry your BC's upside down?

Anyone?

And what would be the reason for upside down drying?

Thanks.

amajamar

MEL-DC Diver
09-03-2007, 21:20
The idea is to rinse out your bladder with water. By hanging it upside down, the residual water will pool in one spot and you can push the release button on the inflator hose end and the water will all come out. This process can be repeated as often as necessary to get all the extra water out.

Or, you can do what I do and just unscrew the hose from the BC and hang it upside down and let it dry out that way.

DirtyWaterIL
09-03-2007, 21:44
I dry mine upside down for the reason stated above. I just press the exhaust button and the last few drops of water come out. All I have to do is wrap the waist clip around a pipe and let it dangle

skdvr
09-03-2007, 22:09
Both of my BC's have a dump valve on the bottom so I do not dry mine upside down. I do rinse out the bladder and and try to get most of the water out right then. Of course the next day when I pull the dump valve it dumps a little more water that has pooled. I then just fill the bladder with air and pull the valve again and keep doing that until I am satisfied that all of the water is out. I also try to use air from my tank too since it is dry air, so that hopefully if there is still a little bit of water on the walls of the baldder it will help to sry it up. Then when I store my BC I keep the bladder full of air so that the sides of the baldder cannot touch and stick together if there is still some water left on them...

Phil

creggur
09-03-2007, 22:51
This is another plus of the Octo-Z. Just unscrew the unit and it makes it so much easier to get all of water out of the bladder. I do hang it upside down for a little while just to let it all drip out..

scubafreak
09-04-2007, 00:39
I hang my Ranger upside down from the 2 S/S rings on the bottom to dry. Leave some air in the bladder though like SKDVR says to avoid the bladder walls sticking together.

wxboy911
09-04-2007, 09:19
Rinse well and hang it up-Mine is full of air too...seems to work great.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 12:07
Both of my BC's have a dump valve on the bottom so I do not dry mine upside down. I do rinse out the bladder and and try to get most of the water out right then. Of course the next day when I pull the dump valve it dumps a little more water that has pooled. I then just fill the bladder with air and pull the valve again and keep doing that until I am satisfied that all of the water is out. I also try to use air from my tank too since it is dry air, so that hopefully if there is still a little bit of water on the walls of the baldder it will help to sry it up. Then when I store my BC I keep the bladder full of air so that the sides of the baldder cannot touch and stick together if there is still some water left on them...

Phil
Me too...I thought I was the only one .....but I don't keep the bladder completely full...

skdvr
09-04-2007, 14:36
but I don't keep the bladder completely full...

I do not keep the bladder completely full either. I do fill it up all the way and then just let a little bit of air out. I do not let a bunch out just enough so that there is not a lot of pressure inside...

Phil

lucidblue
09-04-2007, 20:25
I haven't dried it upside down, but I may try that now. I do keep air in it, not quite full though.

Phestr
09-04-2007, 22:42

Phil

I agree, this is the way I dry mine, except not all the way full. It's alot easier to get it to hang this way, since it's designed that way.

somewhereinla
09-05-2007, 00:12
there is no need to dry it upside down if your BC has a valve at the bottom which most do nowdays. The most important is to always keep your bc inflated.

blue37
09-06-2007, 19:57
Does the Brigade have a dump valve in the bottom/top or both?

MEL-DC Diver
09-06-2007, 21:07
Does the Brigade have a dump valve in the bottom/top or both?

New ones have 2 dumps on the bottom. Old ones have just one down there. It also has a dump on the inflater hose.

Frankly, I think it is easier draining upside down via the hose - easier to get it all out since you don't have to tug on the dump valve.

blue37
09-09-2007, 20:28
Great... taking a hard look at getting one

w.rosich
09-09-2007, 20:48
No,,,, you all have the Technique for drying a BCD wrong! YOU!!! have to hang upside down while drying your bcd