PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dive Related Magazine??

DevilDiver
09-03-2007, 12:09
We all look at them. Some say it just for the articles, some like the pictures.

What is your favorite and why?:smilie40:

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 12:18
I have had them all at one time or another. My favorite is "Dive Training" as it has more good information. Where the others are all pictures and top 10's. That's good too but how many times can you read the top ten dive sites or live aboards, dive destintations, yada, yada, yada?

Flatliner
09-03-2007, 12:19
I like dive training because I am still pretty new and they usually have some pretty useful articles. My least favorite it the PADI rag as it is the only magazine I have ever read with more adds than GQ.

NitroWill
09-03-2007, 12:20
I am really enjoying the complimentary copy of "Scuba Diving Magazine" ScubaToys sent me..It has some good information and articles!..

Althought Im not getting it anymore since I moved :( Might just have to go buy a full years subscription..Think its only about $16

DevilDiver
09-03-2007, 12:34
My favorite is Dive Training as well...a close second is Undercurrent. Both are good reads and have useful information.

Dive Training has great articles and always seems to have the spirit of infoming the readers instead of promoting the sponsors.

Undercurrent is a favorite because I like the honest reviews of the destinations without them paying or comping the staffs trips.

I also get Scuba Diving and Sport Diver.....
In Scuba Diving I still read the gear reviews in Scuba Lab because it's the only review i have found that has a format to compare the gear by.

Sport Diver is all fluff but I like the pictures........ I can't stand that Ty Sawyer guy. :smiley11:

wxboy911
09-03-2007, 13:27
So far I have read Scuba Diving Magazine and it seems pretty good...I think I will look into Dive Training as it has turned up in the first 4 posts.

NitroWill
09-03-2007, 13:30
Dive Training is great too..I havent seen it for awhile though..Might need to look into a subscription for it as well!

Zenagirl
09-03-2007, 14:30
I really like Wreck Diving magazine. It's written more like a journal since it gives history and details of the wreck, but there's definitely some cool stuff in it. And for the record, I'm not a wreck diving fanatic, just interested in history.

FishFood
09-03-2007, 14:44
I like Dive Training...

The others seem to be for two things...

Telling me about places I cant afford to go.
And telling me about gear I can't afford to buy.

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 14:45
I really like Wreck Diving magazine. It's written more like a journal since it gives history and details of the wreck, but there's definitely some cool stuff in it. And for the record, I'm not a wreck diving fanatic, just interested in history.
I had one subscription to this magazine and did enjoy reading about it. I always wished they had discussed wrecks a little closer to home that are more well known to me. I think I would have had alot more interest if they had been talking about something I wanted to dive.

mm_dm
09-03-2007, 17:14
Wreck Diving magazine. Because I obsess about shipwrecks and it's always well written.

Xspect
09-03-2007, 17:24
dive training for me

fire diver
09-03-2007, 18:00
I like Advanced Diver Magazine best, with Dive training a close second, and Scuba Diving a distant third. Scuba Diving has lots of pretty pictures of reefs in foreign countries, but little else for me. The reader reviews are ok.

FD

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 18:07
only dive mag. i ever seen, had a regulator review... and it was very well written, i loved it... but never remembered the name... so can't subscribe.
i saw another thread that mentions ST giving away subscriptions to customers??

Mtrewyn
09-03-2007, 18:20
I like Dive Training they seem the most intrested in giving info. rather than selling me stuff that I really don't need.

somewhereinla
09-03-2007, 19:23
I started receiving dive training and enjoy it as well.

DevilDiver
09-03-2007, 19:52
Does anyone else subscribe to Undercurrent?

It is more of a news letter but it is a non-proffit and has no advertisments. The destination reviews are good and they put out something called the "Chapbook" at the end of the year that has reviews of destinations from the readers. You can review places you travel to and they will print for readers who might be trying to decide where to stay or who to dive with.

lucidblue
09-03-2007, 20:06
I like Scuba Diving and Dive Training. Scuba Diving for the photos and destination information and Dive Training since I'm a newbie and there's a lot of useful instructional information.

Never heard of Undercurrent, but I'm going to look it up.

Capt Hook
09-03-2007, 20:57
Dive Training by far.

willardj
09-03-2007, 21:41
1. Dive training
2. Scuba Diving ( Thanks ScubaToy's)

AggieDad
09-04-2007, 02:20
1. Dive Training
2. UnderCurrents
3. Scuba Diving
4. Sport Diver

Just picked up a copy of Wreck Diver. Never have any intentions of doing super deep, tech stuff but it is a really good magazine.

How about video's?

I have all three Dive Portal CD's. I really like John Chatterton and Richie Kohler.

How about books?
Shadow Diver's
Deep Descent
Fatal Descent

scootermcfly
09-04-2007, 10:35
I have been enjoying my Scuba Diving mag thanks to ST

Scooter McFly

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 10:45
I like them all...anything with scuba in it has some use for me....just can't afford to have them all....

Osprey
09-04-2007, 11:27
Charlotte, I feel your pain! Currently enjoying my Scuba Divers subscription, hoping I'll have a spare $15 laying about when my time is up.. hehe :)

Buoyant1
09-04-2007, 11:30
Dive Training because i always learn something

Diver (Canadian magazine) because they usually have reports from more obscure places (and great pictures)

Sport Diver for the travel type information

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 11:31
Seems like "Dive Training" stands out..... I am not fimiliar with Wreck Diving but will check it out.

It's sad that the PADI rag comes in at the bottom........

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 11:33
Charlotte, I feel your pain! Currently enjoying my Scuba Divers subscription, hoping I'll have a spare $15 laying about when my time is up.. hehe :)

If you have not checked into it there are a few good E-Zines for free....

Vegas
09-04-2007, 11:49
I like Dive Training...

The others seem to be for two things...

Telling me about places I cant afford to go.
And telling me about gear I can't afford to buy.

Ditto...

georoc01
09-04-2007, 11:50
I get Scuba Diving (thanks to ST), Sport Diver and Alert Diver.

I like Alert Diver the most. The other two have been nice to have around for the pictures and to read about places I have been or are going to see another perspective.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-04-2007, 11:54
Dive Training and Scuba Diving.

fire diver
09-04-2007, 12:15
Dive Training because i always learn something

Diver (Canadian magazine) because they usually have reports from more obscure places (and great pictures)

Sport Diver for the travel type information

Oh man, DIVER is a good mag. My local book/mag/music store had the issue on the shelf for the first time last month. I was really impressed.

fire diver
09-04-2007, 12:20
Seems like "Dive Training" stands out..... I am not fimiliar with Wreck Diving but will check it out.

It's sad that the PADI rag comes in at the bottom........

When I first started out in SCUBA, I used to buy the PADI mag from the newstand each month. That only lasted about 6 months. I quickly got tired of the ever present "PADI divers are the best", and "this months PADI social" articles. My last straw for the mag was an article about a brand new diver. Only been certed for a year, and yet held every single PADI specialty card offered. They acted like this was the goal for every diver to be. I don't think the guy had ever been 'just diving' without an instructor around. Anyway, I've never picked up another issue since.

FD

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 12:23
I have never recieved a copy of Alert Diver. But I have insurance through Dive Assure............

unclepooty
09-04-2007, 12:33
1. Undercurrent
2. Dive Training
3. Alert Diver
4. Others
I try to get something new about the time I've finished another.

No Misses
09-04-2007, 13:08
It sounds like I will have to check out "Dive Training". Like many have already said, I don't need to see another write up on Roatan, PNG, Coz, etc. I wish there was a dive mag similar to "Consumer Reports", that does not rely on advertising. How can you write a bad reveiw if you rely on that same manufacturer or resort to pay for advertising in your publication? I do not envy thier position. I find it annoying when the "equipment reveiw" has the same wording as the manufacturers advertisement on the next page. I want a mag that teaches me something with at least one article per issue. Alert Diver does a pretty good job at this. Many times when people tell me about some dive related problem, I can point them back to an article that I read in Alert Diver. I should state that I do not condone using this information instead of consultation/diagnosis by your doctor. It does help you recognise symptoms that you might not have noticed or mentioned to your doc. IMHO

Just a note for the rest of the pretty picture mags. If you are going to have a picture of sea life, why not throw in a little bit of information (habitat, range, etc.), to satisfy the more inquisitive minds?

WestTnDiver
09-04-2007, 15:12
Dive Training followed by Undercurrent. Undercurrent has just opened up their on line site to regular subscribers giving access to all the old Chapbooks. If you've looking for a new location to explore, there's no better source of info on dive ops, hotels, etc.

scubasamurai
09-04-2007, 15:28
i like the wreck diving mag followed by scuba diver ( which i use to get from the scuba shop now i have the subscription)
whats this undercurrent thing, have a link to sign up always looking for a new rag, i do get the padi thing because ( go ahead and laugh) i am a member came with the membership when i started to train.

greyzen
09-04-2007, 15:35
I'm sitting around waiting until I finish my move, then I'm signing up for Dive Training.

Do I want Wreck Diver? Do I want any others?

scubasamurai
09-04-2007, 15:40
hey just went on line and took a look at dive training mag pretty neat and of course signed up!!

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 15:55
i like the wreck diving mag followed by scuba diver ( which i use to get from the scuba shop now i have the subscription)
whats this undercurrent thing, have a link to sign up always looking for a new rag, i do get the padi thing because ( go ahead and laugh) i am a member came with the membership when i started to train.

Check out the Undercurrent link.

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/

It's a non-profit and has no advirtisments. Great travel reviews and they put out this thing called the "Chapbook" at the end of the year that is full of reviews from subscribers of different destinations and operators.

jwdizney
09-04-2007, 16:57
I started reading Dive Training before I ever became interested in scuba.. great mag!

jwdizney
09-04-2007, 17:04
started reading DIVE TRAINING while my wife was taking lessons (as a non-diver).. great magazine! educational and informative... great USABLE information!