PDA

View Full Version : Ever Eat Sea Urchin?

kalokairi
09-03-2007, 12:15
I was on a dive boat the other day and the instructor brought up a bunch of sea urchins. He then cracked them open and we all ate the eggs. The were ok but salty. Anyone else tried these?

Flatliner
09-03-2007, 12:17
Nope, I don't even eat clams.

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 12:20
That's a new one on me. Learn something everyday I guess.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 12:45
:smiley11: wouldnt even of thought of them as human food.

chewyjr15
09-03-2007, 12:54
really gross i dont imagine that they tasted good

ian
09-03-2007, 15:26
In Sushi houses, it's called Uni. It is an odd taste. It is very expensive. Someone once told me to try it. If I liked it I was doomed to a life of poverty; if I didn't, the financial aspects were much better.

Interestingly, i watched a program on aging a month or so ago. A group was lookingh at using sea urchins to observe changes in DN during life cycles. They were assuming that sea urchins typically lived 7 or 8 years. One researcher noticed that there was a band in the spines that corresponded to a high level of a radio active isotope released during nuclear tests back in the '50's. It turned ouot that, based on where the band was in the spine, it showed that the sea urchins actually lived 150 to 200 years. It was also shown that there was no difference inthe sexual health and viability of young sea urchins and those that were over 100 years old!

Now, do you still want to snack on sea urchin eggs?

Ian

Osprey
09-03-2007, 16:03
I HATE URCHIN! I had it once at a sushi house, it tasted like play-doh, mixed with melted plastic, with the awesome consistency of rotting mucus

UGH UGH UGH

Hemlon
09-03-2007, 16:05
Like others, I have had it at sushi bars.

I didn't like it...and I always avoid it when I'm at sushi bars now.

mm_dm
09-03-2007, 17:16
I'm sure it's an aquired taste. I also sure I can wait indefinitely to aquire that taste.

NitroWill
09-03-2007, 17:18
I HATE URCHIN! I had it once at a sushi house, it tasted like play-doh, mixed with melted plastic, with the awesome consistency of rotting mucus

UGH UGH UGH

Very nice professional review, thanks! :smiley32: :smiley36:

I have no desire in ever trying it...there are some things better left in nature and I think this is one of em :smiley20:

Xspect
09-03-2007, 17:26
I would be worried about poison that in the wateer

Osprey
09-03-2007, 19:38

I have no desire in ever trying it...there are some things better left in nature and I think this is one of em :smiley20:

As long as those totally awesome visuals keep others from falling victim to the urchin... my job is done here. lol.

Keep it real- stick with eel!!

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 19:49
Don't think I want to.

ScubaGir1
09-03-2007, 19:58
Ewww, LOL I don't even eat sea food period! :smiley11:

picxie
09-04-2007, 04:29
Over here we call them kina. It is actually illegal to collect kina while scuba diving. However I have been on a boat where they were bought up and we cracked them open and ate them off the side of the boat. Everyone else on the boat was male and they were all shocked that a female would even try it. First and last time I've tried it. It was quite tasty however I'm vegan now and so wouldn't even consider eating it now. Salty (which is great as I love salt!). Didn't eat the eggs as such - washed that out and ate the flesh.

It is supposed to be quite a delicacy - in the supermarket you pay a small fortune for a tiny punnet.

Aussie
09-04-2007, 05:40
I have had them over here. Not that fussed on them. Some species here have a population explosion every now and again. You say they are worth lots of money................mmmmm I could be rich.

Aussie

Manny-R
09-04-2007, 05:41
i have news for you... you ditin't just eat sea urchin eggs... what you ate is called UNI (as others mentioned) it's sea urchin ROE (intestines) and i find it quite interesting flavor-wise, but in a bad way. good color to it though.

Manny-R
09-04-2007, 05:43

As long as those totally awesome visuals keep others from falling victim to the urchin... my job is done here. lol.

Keep it real- stick with eel!!

with a little slogan for eel and everything!! thats awesome! :smiley20:

ian
09-04-2007, 09:32
i have news for you... you ditin't just eat sea urchin eggs... what you ate is called UNI (as others mentioned) it's sea urchin ROE (intestines) and i find it quite interesting flavor-wise, but in a bad way. good color to it though.

I have no idea where you got the idea that roe is intestines.

Roe are the egg masses of fish and crustaceans.

From Answers.com:

Roe (http://www.answers.com/topic/roe?cat=biz-fin)

JimR
10-16-2007, 01:18
I used to bring them up, and take them to a little Chinese/Japanese place in Monterey, Ca. The owner was always happy to see me and it's not too bad if you chase it with beer.

Defman
10-16-2007, 07:37
it tasted like play-doh

mmmmm Play-doh..........

BSea
10-16-2007, 08:28
I used to bring them up, and take them to a little Chinese/Japanese place in Monterey, Ca. The owner was always happy to see me and it's not too bad if you chase it with beer.
That can be said for a lot of things.:)

UCFKnightDiver
10-16-2007, 11:19
hmmm i think I outta try it at least, all the seafood ive ever tried I loved, sea food is the best

chrisloh
10-17-2007, 08:02
I tried it once about 10 years ago and I got hooked. My wife says it looks like babies poo. Yes it does but it is an aquired taste.

Love the stuff

tonysmjc
10-17-2007, 20:18
im a fanatic with sushi

And really love uni but it must be perfectly fresh

it should be firm not runny and bright in color

when its right its really great but when its even a little off its nasty

IrishSquid
10-17-2007, 20:46
Tried it in a Sushi House while stationed in Japan. I liked it. Kinda reminded me of slightly salty guacamole, only prettier.
Osprey got me curious; I'm fighting the urge to purchase playdoh and mix it with melted plastic.

Osprey
10-18-2007, 13:37
Osprey got me curious; I'm fighting the urge to purchase playdoh and mix it with melted plastic.

Oh sure, and when you end up in the hospital I get stuck with the bill? LOL :smiley36:

peteg
10-18-2007, 14:18
I tried Uni once. I like really sushi, etc, but Uni tasted like licking the inside of an aquarium. My wife, who I was dining with said she's had fresher and what I tried wasn't a good representation. I remain unconvinced, and I don't intend to be convinced any time soon.

ScubaJenn81
10-18-2007, 15:23

No offense, but why eat it if you have to chase it with something? I like to like the things I eat.:smiley36:

MSilvia
10-18-2007, 15:33
I tried it once, but it must not have been "right", because it was definately not "really great". I'd have to be REALLY hungry and hard up to eat that again. I'd rather eat almost anything else but hakarl, belut, or uni.

cyclone
10-18-2007, 15:35
Seafood delicacy in the Philippines... I eat a lot of those...I am a seafood person.

Suther2136
10-18-2007, 16:14
Yes, but uni is not my fav, wouldn't order it but I have tasted it. much rather have fish or unagi

cyclone
10-18-2007, 19:16
Yes, but uni is not my fav, wouldn't order it but I have tasted it. much rather have fish or unagi:smiley20: Like those too.

Venio
10-18-2007, 19:24
Sushiiii :D. I remember when I was in Libya many many years ago there was this guy equipped with thick glove a bottle of lemon juice and knife, that was walking on the shore and was just picking them up, and eating them straight on the beach. I thought It's pretty weird, but what do I know, I was only 5.

cyclone
10-18-2007, 19:28
There is another one, I don't know if you guys know this. "Jumping salad" small shrimp freshly picked from the ocean. Once picked the only combination is vinegar and soysauce. Toss those small shrimp and voila!!!Tried it a lot...:smiley2:

sudnit5
10-18-2007, 20:06
There is no way I will eat a Sea Urchin :smiley11:

danielh03
10-19-2007, 01:40

UGH UGH UGH

Wow, i was thinking of trying it. Even if I liked it, I would never get over
your description!!!

namabiru
10-20-2007, 11:04

UGH UGH UGH

Many Japanese foods taste this way. I got to where I refused to go to formal dinners in Japan as I knew the plates would be filled with small bits of icky foods. Perhaps I'm just uncultured, but when I'm knocking back beer to make it through yet another nomikai I was obligated to go to I don't want to be presented with a cute little plate of octopus nibbles.

Trey9123
03-04-2008, 21:56
Uni to me tastes like what dirt feet smell like. I'll eat just about anything and I have been all over the world and tried a lot of things. This is by far the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth.

fisheater
03-04-2008, 22:36
I LIKE uni. Best the rest of you keep away from it. It's expensive enough as it is.

cmburch
03-04-2008, 22:52
I have seen them loading trucks at Santa Barbara Harbor huge nets that divers have filled with large purple sea urchins for shipment to Japan. Huell Howser - Welcome to California's Gold had a documentary on it. The locals seemed to like it on the show. Maybe it is how it is prepared.

I sometimes stab the sea urchins with my ab iron. I have attracted dungeness crabs, large perch and other fish.

cmburch
03-04-2008, 23:10
Uni to me tastes like what dirt feet smell like. I'll eat just about anything and I have been all over the world and tried a lot of things. This is by far the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth.
The worst thing I ever put in my mouth was chicken feet at a dim sum lunch. Went in my mouth and fell right out. GROSS!!!

fisheater
03-04-2008, 23:26
The worst thing I ever put in my mouth was chicken feet at a dim sum lunch. Went in my mouth and fell right out. GROSS!!!

Dang! First uni and now chicken's feet? You folks are going after my favorites.

Rockhound76
03-05-2008, 07:11
Fisheater, I was thinking the same thing.

First uni, then chicken feet. The next thing you know, they'll be going after chitterlings and haggis.

As for sea urchin roe, my kids (12, 15) are sushi crazy. It used to worry me, especially since the little one had a bone marrow transplant, but our doc said to "be careful", and examine everything closely, but it was okay. It probably helped the he was asian, but he thought good sushi restaurants had better hygeine than most.

Uni and unagi are their favorites.

They also like boiled crawfish and smoked softshell crab, "bamboo chicken", which we ate on a hike in Belize years ago, menudo and cabrito (bbq'd). Funny. They hate hot dogs, hamburgers and sweets. My kids are not normal.

fisheater
03-05-2008, 08:46

First uni, then chicken feet. The next thing you know, they'll be going after chitterlings and haggis.

As for sea urchin roe, my kids (12, 15) are sushi crazy. It used to worry me, especially since the little one had a bone marrow transplant, but our doc said to "be careful", and examine everything closely, but it was okay. It probably helped the he was asian, but he thought good sushi restaurants had better hygeine than most.

They also like boiled crawfish and smoked softshell crab, "bamboo chicken", which we ate on a hike in Belize years ago, menudo and cabrito (bbq'd). Funny. They hate hot dogs, hamburgers and sweets. My kids are not normal.

Hey! Keep The Haggis out of this. Nothing says party like a boiling stomach stuffed with oatmeal and ground sheep guts.

Honestly, The Haggis isn't one of my favorites. It's a bit bland. However, they're a blast to make and serve.

DZorn00
03-09-2008, 07:55

Hey! Keep The Haggis out of this. Nothing says party like a boiling stomach stuffed with oatmeal and ground sheep guts.

Honestly, The Haggis isn't one of my favorites. It's a bit bland. However, they're a blast to make and serve.

I knew I shouldn't have read this post. I am now very hungry and have called the wife to make a reservation at the local Sushi resturaunt. Urchin is like described earlier, the texture is that of Flem, and the taste is horrid, of course my opinion, now u put eel, conch, or soft shell crab on my plate and it is gone in a second. Not much the family won't eat either, our youngest(11) has been a sushi consumer since she was 6 and she can't get enough of it.

mobeeno
04-12-2008, 20:13
I have only had sea urchin sushi, yum

RikRaeder
04-12-2008, 20:15
Tried it when I worked at a sushi bar. Don't like it...no sir, don't like it at all!

longtailbda
06-07-2008, 15:34
I've tried it, its ok, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

jtkkym
06-07-2008, 17:56
I had sea urchin with sushi. It is kinda expensive and don't think taste is not worth the money.

mselizann
06-07-2008, 20:00
I just can't get over the texture- tried it once, glad I did.....not again

rawalker
06-07-2008, 22:08
I've had uni and it is probably the only thing I totally avoid in a sushi house.

coral cowgirl
06-07-2008, 23:00
Urchin is nasty....aagggghhh! Tried it once just to be nice.

I just can't handle it....but then, I don't even like fish if it tastes real "fishy".

matt151617
06-08-2008, 00:07
Definitely not a fan of it. One of my friends loves it... he's a chef. He told me it's an acquired taste, and not many Americans like it.

DUnder
06-09-2008, 14:40

UGH UGH UGH

No I have not, I now really don't want to:smiley11:

rumblefish
06-09-2008, 15:00
I'm curious about people saying that uni has the consistency of play-doh. I had sea urchin in Japan and I found it light in flavor with a consistency that literally melts in your mouth. I also had sea urchin in this little restaurant in Phu Quoc, VN. They cooked it and I did find it rather salty. I guess it is all in the preparation.

diver-wife
06-09-2008, 16:51
There are so many odd foods, it always makes me wonder who was the first person to say, "You know what, I am going to eat the internal organs of that thing"

Liv7301
06-10-2008, 08:48
My husband and I love sushi. Usually he just orders the "boat" of varied pieces that are the chef's choice. I am a bit more picky and usually order a la carte for specific things that I enjoy. We both love unagi (eel) so we thought we were being all adventurous and whatnot.

One night we decided to go down to Lewisville to a restaurant chain called Jinbeh Sushi and Hibachi (for you people that live in the DFW area) and, we both decided to order a boat or chef's choice. When we received our meal they were both the same...two pieces of salmon roe and two pieces of sea urchin roe mixed in with the usual tuna, crab, etc. At first we had no idea what they were but quickly identified them using the picture card that was tucked behind the soy sauce. We were slightly hesitant at first but then figured, hey we love eel, so let's give this a try! Plus we had recently been watching a lot of episodes of Iron Chef and they talked about it all the time. So we each took a piece of salmon roe and popped it on our mouthes...

It was the first and only occasion were I openly gagged in a restaurant, loud enough that a few other tables heard me and turned to look. The texture of each of the little salmon eggs popping and releasing their salty fluid was horrid. I spit out the rest of it. With great reservation we now turned to the sea urchin. Here I took a small bite from the piece and again gagged loudly. This was again very salty but with a soft mushy texture that sort of fell apart. It was the only time that we left a sushi restaurant with unfinished pieces still on our boats, despite the fact that it is a sign of disrespect to not finish it all. We couldn't even handle the thought of getting a container to then take it home and throw it out because that meant riding around in the car with it and I couldn't even stomach that.

Since then we have stuck to other places that don't usually serve roe in their assortments unless you specifically ask for it. I could describe the flavor more specifically but this is a family forum to I will refrain from doing so.

RetroVertigo
06-13-2008, 11:21
I tried that nastiness once, and NEVER AGAIN. I love all kinds of sushi, but I have a huge aversion to mucus, and it pretty much tasted like a big salty loogie. :smiley11:

On a nicer note, I love me some toro...mmmm.

kahoots
06-14-2008, 15:07
I was on a dive boat the other day and the instructor brought up a bunch of sea urchins. He then cracked them open and we all ate the eggs. The were ok but salty. Anyone else tried these?

the japanese restaurants here all have sea urchins as sushi. very mushy and sometimes sweet. I try not to think of how it looks when i put it in my mouth:smilie40:

Charles R
06-14-2008, 15:20
Salty but not bad very expensive in Sushi restaurants.:smiley20:

mrbheagney
09-06-2008, 00:50
They are called Tuku Misi in Tonga and like absolutely everything else that moves here they are fair game. I haven't tried yet but I might have a bit more luck with my speargun if I go after them instead of the fish.

peteg
09-06-2008, 02:58
I had Uni once and it tasted like licking the inside of an aquarium

drako
09-07-2008, 08:20
I really wouldnt call it "eggs" more like its reproductive organs ;)
In one of my marine bio course we cracked one open after we initialized breeding. Echinoderms are pretty simple.

bubble-head
09-07-2008, 14:59
I had some at a sushi house in Japan. The owner befriended us and was offering us samples. Not wanting to offend anyone, we pretty much tried everything offered to us.

rawalker
09-07-2008, 20:04
I love sushi and sushimi but the only thing I've found they serve I don't like and will no longer eat is Uni. (Sea Urchin)

Sealyons
09-07-2008, 20:41
that's a humorous story

kong
09-07-2008, 21:17
I had some during a wilderness survival course once. They showed us the different plants and animals we could eat in the tide pools and surrounding areas. It wasn't too bad, much better than some of the other stuff we had to eat.

Warren
09-07-2008, 21:31
Hmmmm...

I don't think I could do it... :smiley11:

warscout2
09-08-2008, 03:38
I wish I was as lucky as all you, Every time I try and order it that don't have it in stock so i still have not been able to try it

lemon lime
09-08-2008, 06:33
Yup. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. I won't seek it out, but I won't mind eating it again.

frozenwarp
09-09-2008, 09:31
Chef i used to work with offered me some one day at work, to be honest i didn't mind it

tndiverdude
09-10-2008, 01:55
Aside from it not being kosher, justthe thought of that is gross. Wife and daughter like caviar but its awful to eat fish bait...

now urchin.. leave them to the otters.

warscout2
09-10-2008, 13:04
Aside from it not being kosher, justthe thought of that is gross. Wife and daughter like caviar but its awful to eat fish bait...

now urchin.. leave them to the otters.

Whats wrong with bait Squid is great

Black-Gorrilla
09-10-2008, 13:42

I have no idea where you got the idea that roe is intestines.

Roe are the egg masses of fish and crustaceans.

From Answers.com:

Roe (http://www.answers.com/topic/roe?cat=biz-fin)

In sea urchins.. the term Roe is actually sea urchin gonads...
Soft/White roe is fish milt...
Milt is the male genitalia of fish when it contains sperm...

so in sea urchin it is not the "egg masses" or "intestines" it is actually something else.

Ladyvalea
09-12-2008, 01:47
I LIKE uni. Best the rest of you keep away from it. It's expensive enough as it is.
i love the stuff!!! yummy!!!

shawnwill36
11-10-2008, 17:33
ive never tried them put i saw that guy on bizarre foods eat them raw. thats not saying much if you ever seen what that guy will eat....

Zeagle Eagle
11-10-2008, 17:47

UGH UGH UGH

Question: Why did you try rotting mucus in the first place?