PDA

View Full Version : used tanks for free from a friend

sterlinghe92
01-20-2010, 23:51
So my friend has some tanks ( 2 steel) He is offering to give to me for free! the only problem is he drained the air out of them 2 years ago so they wouldn't blow in his boat(i don't know why, he isnt a diver).

My question is will they be worth it after i have them inspected and hydroed?
will they be rusted up and not worth it?

I only want them as "work tanks". I plan to buy nice nitrox hp 100's soon but want a cheap tank now that i can leave in my garage with air in case i get a call when my dive shop is not open.

CompuDude
01-20-2010, 23:58
If they pass VIP and Hydro, you have 2 perfectly good steel tanks that will last you many years.

If they're "rusted up" they won't pass VIP.

Good score!

sterlinghe92
01-21-2010, 00:09
Is it worth how ever much money it cost to get them checked?!

CompuDude
01-21-2010, 00:35
Is it worth how ever much money it cost to get them checked?!

Pre-inspect it yourself and decide. Take a good look around the outside. Any rust?

Spin the valve off the tank. (They'll have to do this anyway to inspect it)

Take a pen light (or some christmas tree lights, or some rope light) and stick in the tank... do your best to see if there is a lot of visible rust in the tank. Look all the way down to the bottom (that's where the worst rust will likely be if they were stored standing up), and around on the sides (there will be a line where the moisture collected along the bottom/side if they were stored laying down).

If you see a lot of thick rust, it may not be worth it. Your call. VIP isn't horribly expensive, but if it looks REALLY bad, you can decide for yourself. Of find a friendly place that will at least take a look and render an opinion for free.

If you don't see any rust, or if it's just a bit of surface rust, chances are it'll be fine. At that point, it's definitely worth the $15 or so it costs for a VIP. (visual inspection) If it passes VIP, odds are very good it will pass hydro as well.

skdvr
01-21-2010, 06:28
I agree with CD, take the valve off and have a look inside. If there is not a lot of rust take them to a dive shop or straight to a hydro facility. Would probably be best to get an actual viz done on them before hydro since that is the cheaper of the two. The only problem is that most dive shops are not hydro facilities. They will take them to a hydro shop and then charge you an extra 10% - 20% (most do anyway). My LDS happens to be a Hydro shop too so that works out for situations like this.

Another option is to ask a more experienced diver to knows a thing or two about tanks to help you decide if they are worth it or not. You could always post pics here but that is not going to do you much good for the inside.

My guess is that they will be fine, the only thing I question is that you said they have been sitting empty on your friends boat. Is that a boat on a fresh water lake or out in the ocean? If on the ocean there is a much higher chance of rust.

Let us know how it goes....

Phil

sterlinghe92
01-21-2010, 08:24
They sat on the boat for a month (in fresh water) and then moved to a house where they sit now!

dkh6070
01-21-2010, 09:08
I say take tehm if its free. If they have to much rust, offer them back to him and if he doesn't want them offer them to the LDS. My LDS has a bunch of old relic stuff sitting around just for show.

j1j2j38
01-21-2010, 10:53
seems worth taking them, for free

comet24
01-21-2010, 11:20
Definitely worth it. You could end up with 2 steel tanks for under a hundred bucks. I would do what CompuDude says a take a quick look myself. Open the valve and make sure they are completely empty then take the valves off and have a look.

navyhmc
01-21-2010, 12:10
I'm all for yes, especially if they're free. Send one in for VIP and hydro and see what the result is. It's a good bet that how one looks is how the other looks. :smiley20:

ssmdive
01-21-2010, 16:48
You know the old saying.... If it is free, its for me!!!!

Navy gave a really good idea.... Send one in and see what happens.

sterlinghe92
01-21-2010, 17:17
thanks! ill be doing that

IrishSquid
01-21-2010, 18:40
You know the old saying.... If it is free, its for me!!!!

Navy gave a really good idea.... Send one in and see what happens.
:smiley20: +1

j1j2j38
01-21-2010, 18:54
+2 :smiley20:

brojack17
01-21-2010, 19:46
Worst case scenario, you take it to the recycling center and make a couple bucks. Not enough to recoop the Viz, but still.

chilly willy
01-23-2010, 07:30
Depending on where you live, if there is a Sports Chalet nearby you might be able to get the same deal the one near me gives. When I bring a tank in for hydro it will cost me $35 for the hydro and VIP, if it fails they do not charge anything.

Rileybri
01-23-2010, 07:44
I am currently using 5 ST72's that I have fund or been given second hand. two had a bit of rust in them so I had them tumbled. All are in Hydro and pass VIP at 25+ years old! Take em and dive em!

j1j2j38
01-23-2010, 10:33
I wish I could get some free tanks

RogerAg
01-23-2010, 12:08
So my friend has some tanks ( 2 steel) He is offering to give to me for free! the only problem is he drained the air out of them 2 years ago so they wouldn't blow in his boat(i don't know why, he isnt a diver).

My question is will they be worth it after i have them inspected and hydroed?
will they be rusted up and not worth it?

I only want them as "work tanks". I plan to buy nice nitrox hp 100's soon but want a cheap tank now that i can leave in my garage with air in case i get a call when my dive shop is not open.

Yes do your own check first. Not only for rust but cracks around the threads.
If it fails then Cut the tank off at the bottom and make a Bell out of it and hang it up on your patio.:banjo: