PDA

View Full Version : Strobe Question

Liver10
01-21-2010, 00:56
Are all strobes compatible with all camrera? I have an Olypmus 1030SW with a Olympus housing.

The other question is are strobes required?

Thanks in advance

j1j2j38
01-21-2010, 11:01
No, not all will be compatible. But most with a fiber optic flash trigger will be compatible. You attach that to your housing and the strobe and it is fired by the cameras strobe. But cameras can also fire potentially a decent number of preflashes, so if the strobe doesn't have as many preflash cancels as the camera has preflashes, it won't work. But in general they'll mostly be compatible.

Okc_diver
01-30-2010, 20:38
I have an Olympus FE-360 camera with a PT-044 housing and I use the
SeaLife SL961 Digital Pro Flash. Be sure you get the correct adapter for your housing for whatever strobe you get for the fiber optic cable. If you are not sure you can take tour camera setup to your local dive shop and they would be able to get you setup with one that works.

The strobe isn't "required" but it will make your photos turn out better especially the ones taken at depth it brings out the colors (it'll make the reds show as red not purple or not make everything look blue)

Practice with it
(Now I can't wait to try out my new strobe)

mitsuguy
01-31-2010, 15:17
I have taken some amazing pictures with my olympus 1030SW with only the internal flash enabled... that being said, you will get much better pictures with an external flash...

as already mentioned, most strobes have a fiber optic / sensor that senses when the internal strobe flashes and essentially flashes at the same time... most any will work with the Olympus... you will need to purchase a tray and arm for the strobe... I recently found, from a poster on Scubaboard that owns it, a nice site with good packages - Camera Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & More! - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295! (http://www.opticaloceansales.com)