PDA

View Full Version : beach diving

Okc_diver
01-21-2010, 20:13
What resorts/dive ops in Cozumel offer unlimited beach diving with the purchase of a dive trip? Looking at doing a 5 day 2 tank package but would like to have a few extra beach dives in the afternoon or a night dive. Was looking at staying at Park Royal but I have heard that the onsite dive op (aquaworld) charges for beach dives

DevilDiver
01-21-2010, 21:23
Fiesta Americana
Scuba Club
Hotel Baracuda
If you stay at the Villa Blanca and dive with Scuba Mau (next door) they will let you do free shore dives.

Could be more....

rainmaker
01-21-2010, 23:57
Blue Angel Resort offers free unlimited shore diving with the purchase of a 5-trip / 10-dive package. Last year, I combined free shore diving for 2 weeks with the purchase of one 5-trip / 10-dive package (and wasn't even staying at their hotel). They are very nice folks, even gave me a free locker for 2 weeks. I'm going back in February!

Okc_diver
01-22-2010, 08:37
to comment on my own post...the only one I know of is El Cozumeleno using Ocean Tours on site. (scuba Du is affiliated) but they are on the north side of the island and the only dive op that goes there. Not much to see plus the current is quite strong there.

This time when I go I would like to stay closer to the diving. Also was looking for a dive op that would go to the wreck that does not need a minimum of divers to go.

MagnaBoxer
01-22-2010, 09:05
Another plug for Blue Angel. Not all inclusive, but if staying / diving with them you get free breakfast and I believe lunch (dinner is on you) at their little restaurant. Great food, great dive shop, and just a nice friendly atmosphere all around. Shore diving is free, just grab a tank and hit the water. We'd sometimes do an afternoon shore dive after our morning two tanks on their boats and sometimes do a night shore dive there as well.

Once you've made the shore dive a few times it can get a bit mundane but being from Oklahoma anywhere with clear, warm water is great. The few small coral heads there really come to life at night though and you'll be surprised at what is there that you can't see during the day. Makes for a great ending to a day of diving.

They have fast, small boats and can be on the dive sites as quick as anybody however in all the dives I have made with them (50+) and I have yet to dive the wrecks. Most of the DM's there consider the wrecks to be boring, with nothing to see and seem reluctant when someone mentions going there. :dunno: YMMV

cowgirldiver
01-22-2010, 10:20
I would also put in a plug for Casa del Mar and del Mar diving (across the street). The hotel is pretty basic but I always enjoy staying there. They are not close enough to town to walk but the taxi rides aren't that bad. At most times of the year, they have a diver's breakfast buffet set up so you can eat as soon as they open and get over to the boat. There is a bridge that goes over the road so you don't have to dart between cars/scooters. And as you asked, they do have unlimited shore diving when you dive with them. Their divemasters are awesome. Though I haven't ever done a wreck in Coz, if we have enough people they have worked with us to do some of the farther out dives (devil's throat, etc). Seems like they do have a surcharge for these but if you haven't done them and want to....

bigman241
01-22-2010, 16:10
does anyone know if hotel cozumel does? We are planning on doing our cert dives and a few boat dives with aqua safari but I want to do some FREE shore diving to

SEMO Scuba
01-23-2010, 17:14
I think that if you have a dive package with Dive Paradise I think that you also get some free shore diving. If you stay at Hotel Cozumel Dive Paradise is just across the street.

Contact Dive Paradise and ask them: questions@diveparadise.com

bigman241
01-23-2010, 17:25
By free shore diving does that include free tanks :smilie40::smiley32::smiley32::smiley9::smiley13:: smiley5::smiley20:
I think that if you have a dive package with Dive Paradise that you also get some free shore diving. If you stay at Hotel Cozumel Dive Paradise is just across the street.

CompuDude
01-23-2010, 19:26
By free shore diving does that include free tanks :smilie40::smiley32::smiley32::smiley9::smiley13:: smiley5::smiley20:
I think that if you have a dive package with Dive Paradise that you also get some free shore diving. If you stay at Hotel Cozumel Dive Paradise is just across the street.

Yes. That's the whole point. :)

No DMs, though, you and your buddy will have to be self-reliant for those dives.

bigman241
01-23-2010, 20:02
Sweet I also noticed dive paradise had cheap gear rental. About half of the ones in florida.

Yes. That's the whole point. :)

No DMs, though, you and your buddy will have to be self-reliant for those dives.

Soonerwink
01-23-2010, 20:08
I stay at the Park Royal and dive with Del Mar Aquatics across the street. If you dive with them, they will let you use tanks for shore diving for free. They will even leave one out for you if you want to do a night dive. They have a small reef in front of their dive shop where several snorkel boats drop of their clients. It is not nearly as nice as the reefs you see on the boat dives, but it is free, and much better that the diving I do in our local area.

firstdive2005
01-24-2010, 02:10
Hi- On Jan.31 I land on Coz for a month. It's gonna be hard I know. I tend to stay at Park Royal. I really like it there so that's the spot this time. I dive with Scuba Mau. I am blown away by the fun I have there. It's not a normal shop I'll tell ya that. It's like getting insta friends while away. I usually dive 4 tanks a day and do a night dive off the pier. The shore dives are free. Sometimes Mau will drop me off at the pier at Park Royal and then I head north to the shop, it's a great dive. Tons of critters to see.
They dont charge extra for trips far south. Give Opal an email and tell her that kevin sent ya. Scuba Mau Cozumel (http://www.scubamaucozumel.com/)
Maybe we can do a dive or two if your down for Feb. kev

Okc_diver
01-24-2010, 22:18
OK another question about the beach diving.

I don't have a dive buddy while I will be in Cozumel (I will be paired with a "instabuddy" on the boat). And I know that the dives there are drift dives some spots with little current and some spots with a strong current. Would it be wise to do the beach dives without a buddy? And the spot infront of El Cid /Park Royal has a plane that was sunk from a movie several years ago. I'm sure I could find someone who would be interested in doing a beach dive while I am there.

While I was there I did a short dive in front of the resort I stayed at (max depth was 15 feet slight current) (was solo so be gentle:smiley36:) mainly to find out how much weight I need.

j1j2j38
01-24-2010, 22:51
when will you be there?

Okc_diver
01-24-2010, 22:56
when will you be there?
May 22-29 (My birthday is May 27 and I plan on celebrating underwater again)

firstdive2005
01-25-2010, 11:25
OK another question about the beach diving.

I don't have a dive buddy while I will be in Cozumel (I will be paired with a "instabuddy" on the boat). And I know that the dives there are drift dives some spots with little current and some spots with a strong current. Would it be wise to do the beach dives without a buddy? And the spot infront of El Cid /Park Royal has a plane that was sunk from a movie several years ago. I'm sure I could find someone who would be interested in doing a beach dive while I am there.

While I was there I did a short dive in front of the resort I stayed at (max depth was 15 feet slight current) (was solo so be gentle:smiley36:) mainly to find out how much weight I need.

Hi- The plane sort of vanished after Wilma. There is a piece of it but you wont be seeing wings etc. As far a solo diving on shore, if you are secure enough in your diving and have good navigation skills then it's really not a big deal diving on the shores. After all your only going approx.25fsw. and not going out farther than a stones throw. The currents usually arent going to take you to Cuba at shore.
I often see heads popping to see where they are in relation to shore, this can be dangerous as it is a busy shore line for dive boats. If you are going to surface then have a SMG with you to shoot first. You should have one with you anyway, right:smiley2:
I always use my compass to fly by. And it's pretty simple to know which way shore is. If one gets the feeling that one is too far down then head to shore, at about 10fsw pop up and see where you need to head toward.
The way I plan my shore dives is this.
Take my N-S heading. I plan for a circle dive. 3-90degree turns. I head straight for the mainland go to about 25 fsw, 90 degree left. Kick for 900-1000lbs. At approx. 2000lbs in tank turn 90degree left, slowly head to shore to 10-15fsw, 90left at between10-15ft. Slowly return to site. This is usually about an hour dive. Realize which way drift is going for your timing of return/gas remaining limit.
If I just jump off the pier at Park Royal I time the dive for 3/4hr, pop up to locate Villa Blanca then head to shore.
This is just to give you an idea how to maybe plan your dives. I hope it helps you get an idea to a Coz shore dive. kev:smiley20:

bigman241
01-25-2010, 13:14
happy early birthday. Mine is may 31st. Nice to have it at the start of summer and the indy 500 ant it

when will you be there?
May 22-29 (My birthday is May 27 and I plan on celebrating underwater again)

bigman241
01-26-2010, 06:48
I sent her a email she is pricing my package for me. RIght there with the prices of everyone else.
Hi- On Jan.31 I land on Coz for a month. It's gonna be hard I know. I tend to stay at Park Royal. I really like it there so that's the spot this time. I dive with Scuba Mau. I am blown away by the fun I have there. It's not a normal shop I'll tell ya that. It's like getting insta friends while away. I usually dive 4 tanks a day and do a night dive off the pier. The shore dives are free. Sometimes Mau will drop me off at the pier at Park Royal and then I head north to the shop, it's a great dive. Tons of critters to see.
They dont charge extra for trips far south. Give Opal an email and tell her that kevin sent ya. Scuba Mau Cozumel (http://www.scubamaucozumel.com/)
Maybe we can do a dive or two if your down for Feb. kev

Okc_diver
01-28-2010, 08:17
still undecided about where to stay but was looking at Allegero and using Dive Palancar. I have read that the hotel has went through changes in management and the service wasn't that good. Anyone have any input and does Dive Palancar have unlimited beach diving?

bigman241
01-28-2010, 09:12
to update I talked with dive paradise and they said 6 bucks a tank which ant bad. I am talking with scuba mau which is who I now plan to use. She told me free unlimited. She worked up and could not get hotel cozumel to ok the dates so she told me if I could do it online she would expect that and still give me the discount on the dive package. There going to do 3 days of 2 tanks dives our cert with pool and checkouts there with the book work through elearning. She also said they would show me how to use the underwater scooter and let us try it out. And to top that she said since we where doing so many dives and the cert she could turn some of the dives into the AOW cert dives and get us our AOW for next to nothing