PDA

View Full Version : Water Sports Drink Mix?

kalokairi
09-03-2007, 12:23
In my dive class we had a discussion about sports drinks and water. A lot of people just drink Gatorade but I was told one Gatorade one water or half and half. Is this the case? Thanks

skdvr
09-03-2007, 12:37
I was always told to cut gatorade in half with water as well. All the stuff in it you just end up passing because you drink to much of it all at once. That is what I had heard anyway and I actually prefer the taste with it cut 50/50 with water. Maybe it is just becuase I have gotten use to it...

Phil

Aussie
09-03-2007, 18:08
I was always told to cut gatorade in half with water as well. All the stuff in it you just end up passing because you drink to much of it all at once. That is what I had heard anyway and I actually prefer the taste with it cut 50/50 with water. Maybe it is just becuase I have gotten use to it...

Phil

I limit my sport drinks to two a day and also use lots of water. Any more and you will get the opposite effect and you will be dehydrated.
Apple juice is good as a replacement.

Aussie

Osprey
09-03-2007, 19:09
Don't forget about the high salt content in sports drinks as well. Cutting it helps rehydrate without all the sodium that, if I recall correctly, you don't really need as much of while engaging in water sports.

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 19:33
Gatorade helps you retain liquid because of the amount of salt in it... but in turn... you end up thirsty again...
unless you are doing very strenuous amounts of exercising, you're almost always better off with plain water, and if you really need flavor, have some orange or apple juice or some natural juice. palmagranite is very good.

Jaymeany
09-03-2007, 19:45
Look at gatorade endurance, cytomax or something similar. Anything really sold at a convenience store probably isn't the best nutritionally. I use gatorade endurance for my marathons. but i like the taste of cytomax. accelerade has too much protein for me. If you want to see how to hydrate / use nutritional products check out www.hammergel.com .

P.S. sorry i haven't been around lately my computer is 7 years old and has been shutting off whenever it feels like it. average time 5 min. of being on. :smiley11:

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 14:05
In my dive class we had a discussion about sports drinks and water. A lot of people just drink Gatorade but I was told one Gatorade one water or half and half. Is this the case? Thanks

avoid sugar. Your heart will be beating fast enough due to what you see dwn there. no need for extra.:smiley2: got wata. I just came back from Jamaica and they has a bottled "wata" spelled that way. funny.

ScubaGir1
09-13-2007, 14:14
I was always told to stay away from sports drinks. Just drink water. If you do want sports drinks get the kind that have extremely low sodium, sugar, etc. I believe Propel is a good one. I'm sure 50/50 is also find too...

Oh, unless you have a competition (swim meet, running meet, etc.) then coaches normally encourage those types of drinks and power bars.

sudnit5
09-13-2007, 15:06
I was always told to do a 50/50 mix. I do a lot of training, running and being it is really hot in Florida, have always used a cut Gatorade.

diver_daver
09-13-2007, 18:09
The real sports drinks are not juice, and most stuff sold in corner/grocery stores is salted sugar {they say glucose} water. Unless you are doing serious training/sport/working out for more than an hour or so water or juices work just as good. Sport drinks are not usually used to pre-hydrate before an event, they are normally used to keep you hydrated during high intensity training/sport/workout.

I use plain wata, maybe flavoured with lemon or lime. When I do need a sports drink I do cut it 50/50, the main reason is at that time I do not want to intake strong flavours and I also find it can be hard on the stomach.

divingmedic
09-13-2007, 18:41
I would make it 50/50. There us way to much sodium and glucose in most "sports drinks". We are teaching in EMS bike classes and SWAT medic classes to do this.

Bill22
09-13-2007, 19:25
Gatorade helps you retain liquid because of the amount of salt in it... but in turn... you end up thirsty again...
unless you are doing very strenuous amounts of exercising, you're almost always better off with plain water, and if you really need flavor, have some orange or apple juice or some natural juice. palmagranite is very good.

Gotta agree.... I usually stick with water. I spent 2 years/8 months(three summers) in the middle east and water is what I usually drank the most of. My "average" water intake was probably 3-6 liters a day, depending on how much time I was spending outside, the conditions that day, and what kind of activity I was engaged in. As long as your eating a balanced diet, most people should be fine. Besides water is much cheaper than gatorade :-)

I would think that if you're going to end up drinking Gatorade, cutting it would be best... just my two cents :-)

TAH 73
09-13-2007, 19:43
Alot of the sports drinks that come in the ready to drink bottles are now set to please the palatte of the consumers thats grabbing them and downing them.
If you mix up a bottle from the powder, and grab the same flavor "ready to drink" alnd look at the nutritional components they are completely different.
With Gatorade avoid the "Fierce" flavors, they are just more concentrated in taste.

meesier42
09-14-2007, 07:44
Gatorade was designed to be useful while working at a strenuous rate. anything less you should cut the stuff. For me, if I am working out hard, I might drink it straight, but normally cut it about 50% with water, or more normally ice in my camelbak. By the time I drink its watered down enough.

What TAH 73 said about the "new" flavors of gatorade are all true. The orignal flavors are designed for the althete and really only taste good when you need it. the Fierce flavors or Frost flavors were tuned to meet the taste of people that just want to drink the stuff like it were soda, so the flavors are stronger and they have more sugar in them.

thesmoothdome
09-14-2007, 08:31
Gatorade and other sports drink may help you retain water because of the salt involved, but as you saturate your body with salt, it draws water from your cells, leaving you even more dehydrated at the cellular level, which isn't nearly as easy to identify and can lead to serious issues.

I just read about this in this month's Scuba Diving magazine. (Well, I think it was this months).

ScubaJenn81
09-14-2007, 10:12
Drinks like that are great and all, but you have to factor in the calories as well as the salt and sugar like you all are saying. If you are exercising to loose weight and then drink a 200 plus drink, what are you really ending up with.

Mtrewyn
09-17-2007, 00:57
You really have to read the labels, they all have lots of things that you don't need, cutting is good, it improves the texture alot as well as the flavor,
If water is hard to drink there are drink mixes out there that you mix in bottled water, to help make it better, but again you need to read the label

Capt Hook
09-17-2007, 08:41
Been drinking straight Gatorade for years, hasn't bothered my diving or ball playing.

greyzen
09-17-2007, 08:54
the point isn't that it will harm you, but that you are not maximising on the benefits.

IE: You drink tons of vitamins and minerals and your body can't absorb them quick enough and you flush half of them.

Mix 50% water, you greatly reduce your pure mineral absortion rate and can now retain a lot more of them.

johnbaggs
09-22-2007, 20:23
the point isn't that it will harm you, but that you are not maximising on the benefits.

IE: You drink tons of vitamins and minerals and your body can't absorb them quick enough and you flush half of them.

Mix 50% water, you greatly reduce your pure mineral absorption rate and can now retain a lot more of them.

Agreed with the above, everything in moderation. I cut mine in half too (when I do drink it, which is usually after a real long run or bike ride.)

BuzzGA
09-22-2007, 21:06
I try and stick with the water but living in AZ, when I get back from a run sometimes water won't do. However, I don't just chug a bottle of Powerade, I'll drink about 6 oz of it and then chug the water. Sometimes I have to admit the flavor is a good thing so if I'm going to drink more I'll cut it at least 50/50. Interestingly, I recently saw a thing from Gatorade that said they are about to release a new product called G2 with fewer calories. So, when it comes out, that may be an option to keep the sugar down. I think I'll still cut that with water.