PDA

View Full Version : trip cost to hawaii

bigman241
01-22-2010, 18:28
What would a trip cost to Hawaii normally cost. Thinking maui or Honolulu. 8 nights 3 days of 2 tank diving with the 4 checkout dives for ow cert. Both all inclusive and hotel air only. Air is from Indianapolis. Could it be done for 1300 a person. Getting our passports might be a issue for our cozumel trip so hawaii might be a back up. Does not have to be the best hotel a bed shower maybe a tv and no bugs. one close to a good dive shops for cert dives and maybe some shore diving preferably free shore diving.

wheelman
01-22-2010, 18:35
Pay the fee to have the passports expedited

scubajane
01-22-2010, 18:40
I don't know prices but it's a good idea to find a dive shop first and then base hotel on location of the boat. ed robinson's dive shop is good on Maui. I've never dove from Honolulu

bigman241
01-22-2010, 18:46
I talked with two yesterday but did not run hotels and such. the dives seemed 25 to 30 to high and the cert dives where about 40 each higher. One shop did say he stayed at a hotel there when he moved to the island it was 100 bucks a night.
I don't know prices but it's a good idea to find a dive shop first and then base hotel on location of the boat. ed robinson's dive shop is good on Maui. I've never dove from Honolulu

bigman241
01-22-2010, 18:49
we plan on it but there is a issue. My plan was do my passport on the first when I get my normal check then pay the hotel dive op and so on on the 8th when I get my refund check. A travel agent said I might need to show the passport office papers for where when I am leaving and staying. waiting till the 8th would put us just at 3 weeks. Thought I did read you could take it to the office and have it in 5 days if you drop off and pick up. I guess when you expedite it they have 5 days from when they get it.

wheelman
01-22-2010, 18:56
we plan on it but there is a issue. My plan was do my passport on the first when I get my normal check then pay the hotel dive op and so on on the 8th when I get my refund check. A travel agent said I might need to show the passport office papers for where when I am leaving and staying. waiting till the 8th would put us just at 3 weeks. Thought I did read you could take it to the office and have it in 5 days if you drop off and pick up. I guess when you expedite it they have 5 days from when they get it.

Yea... sounds kinda close time wise. It is the government after all.

Quero
01-22-2010, 19:21
Pay the fee to have the passports expeditedwe plan on it but there is a issue. My plan was do my passport on the first when I get my normal check then pay the hotel dive op and so on on the 8th when I get my refund check. A travel agent said I might need to show the passport office papers for where when I am leaving and staying. waiting till the 8th would put us just at 3 weeks. Thought I did read you could take it to the office and have it in 5 days if you drop off and pick up. I guess when you expedite it they have 5 days from when they get it.
I think your travel agent is getting things mixed up.
I have never needed to show my travel bookings documents when applying for a passport! All citizens can apply for passports, even if they don't have any immediate plans to travel. Applying for visas is a different thing, and many countries DO require proof of intent to depart their country before they issue a visa, but this isn't an issue for US citizens traveling to Mexico. Just apply for the passport when you initially intended to. If it turns out you go to Hawaii, you'll already have your passport for a future trip to Mexico.

bigman241
01-22-2010, 20:06
I think the issue with it is the expedited passport. They do it quick for a extra cost if your leaving soon. From what I read all it ask for is dates on the form nothing about documents guess it is another call to the passport office in Chicago.

Pay the fee to have the passports expeditedwe plan on it but there is a issue. My plan was do my passport on the first when I get my normal check then pay the hotel dive op and so on on the 8th when I get my refund check. A travel agent said I might need to show the passport office papers for where when I am leaving and staying. waiting till the 8th would put us just at 3 weeks. Thought I did read you could take it to the office and have it in 5 days if you drop off and pick up. I guess when you expedite it they have 5 days from when they get it.
I think your travel agent is getting things mixed up.
I have never needed to show my travel bookings documents when applying for a passport! All citizens can apply for passports, even if they don't have any immediate plans to travel. Applying for visas is a different thing, and many countries DO require proof of intent to depart their country before they issue a visa, but this isn't an issue for US citizens traveling to Mexico. Just apply for the passport when you initially intended to. If it turns out you go to Hawaii, you'll already have your passport for a future trip to Mexico.

j1j2j38
01-22-2010, 20:47
try sidestep.com or expedia or orbitz for the hotel and airfare. The dive stop will probably not be the largest part of the cost so better to save on the big thing. Research the hotel and dive packages simultaneously though and try to find one that works well together. But I would start with the travel websites to narrow things down.

bigman241
01-22-2010, 21:30
Thanks I check orbitx travellocity and hotels.com The hotel and air is about the same but not AL the cert dives are alittle higher but not to bad I think the food budget and dives is what makes the diff. 100 to 150 a dive from what I saw. Though before I pay for 3 days of diving I want to know how much diving it is.
try sidestep.com or expedia or orbitz for the hotel and airfare. The dive stop will probably not be the largest part of the cost so better to save on the big thing. Research the hotel and dive packages simultaneously though and try to find one that works well together. But I would start with the travel websites to narrow things down.

tc_rain
01-23-2010, 06:08
Hawaii does not have any all-inclusive hotels. As far as Passports, you used to be able to go to the passport office in Chicago and get them the same day but I an sure that has changed since the Department of Homeland Security has gotten their hands into everything. I know they have an expedited sevice that costs a bit more ($60.00). Here is a link to their website for more info. How to Get Your Passport in a Hurry (http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html)

For cost wise, I would pay the extra money for the passport and go to Cozumel. They have some of the easiest diving there is and the macro life is better then Hawaii.

RogerAg
01-23-2010, 12:25
What would a trip cost to Hawaii normally cost. Thinking maui or Honolulu. 8 nights 3 days of 2 tank diving with the 4 checkout dives for ow cert. Both all inclusive and hotel air only. Air is from Indianapolis. Could it be done for 1300 a person. Getting our passports might be a issue for our cozumel trip so hawaii might be a back up. Does not have to be the best hotel a bed shower maybe a tv and no bugs. one close to a good dive shops for cert dives and maybe some shore diving preferably free shore diving.

:idea:
Go to the Big Island (Kailua-Kona) The diving is really great! Big Island Divers are really friendly.
Go to:http://www.bigislanddivers.com/

While there you can rent my condo at $100.00 a day with the 7th day free. If you rent it from Me I will pay the taxes and all cleaning under $100.00.
To see the condo go to: http://www.konacondo.com/condos/konapacf/about.html
To see my condo go to Unit #517.
You can contact me at RogerAg47@aol.com

bigman241
01-23-2010, 13:31
Wow nice place if we head to there I will diffently give you a call

:idea:
Go to the Big Island (Kailua-Kona) The diving is really great! Big Island Divers are really friendly.

While there you can rent my condo at $100.00 a day with the 7th day free. If you rent it from Me I will pay the taxes and all cleaning under $100.00.

dkh6070
01-28-2010, 09:00

Roger, Will this offer be good for all? Wife and I thinking of going to Hawaii late this year. We will do 3 days per island. Would be a good place for Kona.

RogerAg
01-28-2010, 10:52

Roger, Will this offer be good for all? Wife and I thinking of going to Hawaii late this year. We will do 3 days per island. Would be a good place for Kona.

Yes however 3 days is the minimum stay because of cleaning costs such as Pre-Cleaning $52.08 and Cleaning after a tenant leaves, normal cleaning is $93.75. So if you stay less then 5 days, I pay pre-Cleaning and you pay for the Cleaning after you leave. There is also a $300.00 Deposit that covers damage and extra Cleaning.

Trunk_Monkey
02-16-2010, 17:27
The Big Island is comparatively inexpensive when it comes to lodging, rent car (a must-have) and dining.

I've taken both of my sons there for their high school graduation trips (which they earned by getting straight-A's). We stayed in condos each time for about $85-$100/night.

Diving there is varied and interesting. You get the chance to see a good amount of large marine life and dive around (and through) some interesting coral-encrusted volcanic formations. The night manta dive is spectacular. We used Sandwich Isle Divers and were happy with their service and rental gear.

If you want beaches, go to Maui or Oahu. If you want adventure, go to the BI.

Enjoy.

k374
06-28-2010, 17:18
my trip to Maui cost $3000 even solo incl. hotel, air from LAX, food, 13 dives, rental car, some activities and everything else.

Hawaii is not cheap!