PDA

View Full Version : AL80,steel 130 hp, neutrul al80.

bigman241
01-22-2010, 18:40
This tank or tanks will be for local diving maybe florida but see no reason drag them there unless we go for the winter. I thought the steel 130 as more air. The lds said he likes the netural al80s light weight and cheap. I know lead will be a issue being a big guy. But I could see the neutral al80 being nice when I drop some weight thus dropping lead and gettin my air use down. Plus it would make doubles easier.

comet24
01-22-2010, 19:00
Whats your question. Al80 and HP130 are completely different beasts. Your comparing a light Al tank to one of the heaviest steel tanks out there. If your a big guy and will need alot of weight I would go steel and get some of the weight off my belt.

As far as doubles later it looks like your a long way off at this point. Get certified first and just dive and have fun. By the time you get into tech. and need a set of doubles your will have spent several time there cost on other gear and training. Slow down, get certified and enjoy some fun and easy diving.

j1j2j38
01-22-2010, 21:03
I would wait until you know what you need. It sounds like you're trying to buy everything you'll possibly ever need all before you get certified. You're going to be happier if you dive more and learn what you actually want. It doesn't take that long to figure out, but there's a good chance it's not going to be what you think before being certified or what someone online or in the store is telling you. Experience will be the best guide.

WaScubaDude
01-22-2010, 21:54
If your back is in good shape and you can hump the weight, definitely get the 130. As big as you are you will likely never be really good on air (big lungs = much air used) the 130 will likely give you similar bottom times to those smaller folk on AL 80s.

bigman241
01-22-2010, 21:59
thanks guys

RogerAg
01-23-2010, 16:15
This tank or tanks will be for local diving maybe florida but see no reason drag them there unless we go for the winter. I thought the steel 130 as more air. The lds said he likes the netural al80s light weight and cheap. I know lead will be a issue being a big guy. But I could see the neutral al80 being nice when I drop some weight thus dropping lead and gettin my air use down. Plus it would make doubles easier.

The first time I tried a Steel 120 I did not like it, because it kept trying to turn me over on my back while I was diving. As I got better at my diving I was able to handle the larger tanks, but it takes time. I was lucky because a close friend had Steel 120s so I had time to practice.
I don't think that I would recommend the Steel 120s to a new diver.

awap
01-23-2010, 17:18
I have never understood a neutral 80. They cost at least $50 more and then you have to find a shop that will pump it up to 3300 psi. Some shops may even charge extra for over 3000 psi. Or you can take the always available and economical Al80 and add 4 lb of lead on a cam band.

mitsuguy
01-23-2010, 18:36
I have never understood a neutral 80. They cost at least $50 more and then you have to find a shop that will pump it up to 3300 psi. Some shops may even charge extra for over 3000 psi. Or you can take the always available and economical Al80 and add 4 lb of lead on a cam band.

completely agree...