PDA

View Full Version : What's this rubbery thing?

zipphase
01-22-2010, 21:48
Marine life, animal organ? stumped.

PACKRMAN
01-23-2010, 09:42
My guess is a pair of Conehead testicles:smiley11:

nrembis
01-24-2010, 23:31
that is a rubber mold of a doe hoof print with trees painted on it.....they sell those to all the deer hunters around here in packs of 3, hoping to lead a buck right to there deer stand

zipphase
01-25-2010, 08:01
that is a rubber mold of a doe hoof print with trees painted on it.....they sell those to all the deer hunters around here in packs of 3, hoping to lead a buck right to there deer stand

I don't think those "trees" are painted on and I think the molders
could have done a better job of simulating a hoof print but I think
it's a good guess.

The thing is slowly turning white as it dries, if that helps.

DevilDiver
01-25-2010, 08:19
I would guess it is an egg of some kind. I would send the photo to a local aquarium or university.

Jack Hammer
01-25-2010, 12:45
It kinda looks like the bulbs I remember seeing on kelp in California when it would float up on shore. Not really sure though.

wgt
01-25-2010, 13:03
This looks like a good bet, although I am far from expert. Some alga use gas-filled floats to increase buoyancy. The gas is often carbon monoxide, in fact. Put a bunch of them in a plastic bag, pop them, and breathe from the bag. If you die, Larry will agree that these are algal floats and give you a gift certificate.

It kinda looks like the bulbs I remember seeing on kelp in California when it would float up on shore. Not really sure though.

zipphase
01-25-2010, 15:07
This looks like a good bet, although I am far from expert. Some alga use gas-filled floats to increase buoyancy. The gas is often carbon monoxide, in fact. Put a bunch of them in a plastic bag, pop them, and breathe from the bag. If you die, Larry will agree that these are algal floats and give you a gift certificate.

Well, I'm not going to try the plastic bag test. :hypocrite:

I think you guys are on the right track, in the back of my mind
"kelp" was coming up too. I looked at it today and it really smells
bad and it's getting brittle. I'll do some research on gas floats.
Thanks!

j1j2j38
01-25-2010, 15:12
whered you find it?

MacDiver
02-24-2010, 13:25
How big is it, and where did you find it?