PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel diving conditions

Zeagle Eagle
01-25-2010, 08:19
I went to Cozumel Jan. 9 and it was the coldest weather in 30 years. The Harbor Master closed the Harbor, not even beach diving. What a waste of a 6 day trip.

Is anyone in Cozumel now? I want to go down tomorrow Jan 26. What are the diving conditions?

DevilDiver
01-25-2010, 08:22
Cozumel Weather Forecasthttp://diveparadise.com/Images/wx/psun2.gif
High 74/23, Low 66/19
Current Water Temp: 79/26

j1j2j38
01-25-2010, 09:42
how cold was the weather?

DevilDiver
01-25-2010, 09:47
I went to Cozumel Jan. 9 and it was the coldest weather in 30 years. The Harbor Master closed the Harbor, not even beach diving. What a waste of a 6 day trip.

Is anyone in Cozumel now? I want to go down tomorrow Jan 26. What are the diving conditions?

I can't imagine that the harbor was closed because it was cooler than normal. Were there other conditions like high winds or heavy rain/lightning?

j1j2j38
01-25-2010, 10:41
yeah that would surprise me

ParrotheadDiver
01-27-2010, 06:22
The Harbor master closes it down this time of year usually due to the high seas that is caused by Nortes that come down from the states and makes it dangerous for most boats to be out.....the cold doesn't have anything to do with closing down water related activities....I was there last week and the weather was beautiful....but it looks like they are getting ready to be hit again with a Norte....you pay your money you take your chances :smiley2:

j1j2j38
01-27-2010, 06:53
when do they stop? And does the harbor being shut down stop all diving or can you still go out on boats off your hotel pier if you're further away?

ParrotheadDiver
01-27-2010, 07:19
when do they stop? And does the harbor being shut down stop all diving or can you still go out on boats off your hotel pier if you're further away?

the Norte's????????? usually sometime in Mar or Apr not all Nortes make it down there but if we get a strong one they usually get it too....and not all Nortes close the port....sometimes the port is closed to boats under 40-50ft size other times it is closed to all water craft and then if it is really a big blow it is closed to all water activities which means no shore diving etc....Aldora has eastside diving for when it is too rough for the boats to go out on the westside... most Nortes do not last long....this week the port was closed only in the morning but opened up for afternoon diving....usually not more than a day or two....but when we had had that really cold Canadian air mass move through the 2nd week in Jan that was massive and reached Cozumel...so the port was closed for several days....those types of Nortes are unusual....but this has been an unusual weather year:smiley29:

ParrotheadDiver
01-27-2010, 07:34
looks like port may be closed to small boat this morning Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort - Cozumel, Mexico (http://www.scubaclubcozumel.com/webcam.html)

no divers loading up on boats and no small boats are out:smiley13:

j1j2j38
01-27-2010, 08:55

the Norte's????????? usually sometime in Mar or Apr not all Nortes make it down there but if we get a strong one they usually get it too....and not all Nortes close the port....sometimes the port is closed to boats under 40-50ft size other times it is closed to all water craft and then if it is really a big blow it is closed to all water activities which means no shore diving etc....Aldora has eastside diving for when it is too rough for the boats to go out on the westside... most Nortes do not last long....this week the port was closed only in the morning but opened up for afternoon diving....usually not more than a day or two....but when we had had that really cold Canadian air mass move through the 2nd week in Jan that was massive and reached Cozumel...so the port was closed for several days....those types of Nortes are unusual....but this has been an unusual weather year:smiley29:

yes, I meant the nortes. thanks

Just Dave
01-27-2010, 19:35
Yes, This week has been pretty bad... I might be able to take snorkelers to the inner reef on Friday- maybe get outside on Saturday.
On the bright side, it doesn't affect diving the cenotes!

H20newbie
01-28-2010, 06:41
El Nortes are usually 3 day storms that blow in from the north and Mexico usually see an increase in their # during an el nino year. Unfortunately, that is this year.
We actually had 9 days last March on Isla Mujeres closed for diving/fishing due to high winds and from what the dive shop told us, it affected all of the Mayan coast as well as Coz. The dive shops up and down the coast were calling each other to see if their was an area open for their divers. No such luck.

We decided to book in Feb this time in hopes that we would have better weather. Oh well..I can always find other things to do on Coz.