PDA

View Full Version : Houston area shore dive

brojack17
01-25-2010, 12:39
I'll be down in Houston this week (and probably twice a month for the next few months). Anyone know of a good place to shore dive? Is there a scuba club down there?

j1j2j38
01-25-2010, 12:49
I wasn't certified when I was living in Houston, but I would be somewhat surprised if there was good shore diving around. You might be able to find something marginally okay in Galveston, which is like 45 minutes away. It probably gets better towards south padre but then you're starting to get pretty far away. Houston area gulf = heavily polluted

ReefHound
01-25-2010, 15:20
I'll be down in Houston this week (and probably twice a month for the next few months). Anyone know of a good place to shore dive? Is there a scuba club down there?

Unfortunately, there is no shore diving in this area. Now some may say that you can dive in Offat's Bayou in Galveston and it's true, if you enjoy 1-3 feet of viz in brown water you will have it made. I doubt there was any good shore diving here even 1000 years ago as it has almost nothing to do with "pollution" and everything to do with river silt. The Mississippi pumps tons of silt into the gulf every day and it then usually heads west with the current, picking up along the way the contributions of the Sabine and Trinity rivers. That's why our sand has such a fine texture and muddy composition.

As for dive clubs, see my signature line.

j1j2j38
01-25-2010, 15:46
heh, well it also is pretty trashy in addition to muddy then

Nemrod
01-25-2010, 17:28

Cozumel

Redfish
01-27-2010, 11:22
Prob. about the best you will do in that area. I have not tried it yet but plan to this summer.

Home Page (http://www.divethemammoth.com/)

brojack17
01-27-2010, 11:36
That looks pretty cool. I may have to give it a shot this spring or summer.

Rockhound76
07-06-2010, 18:58
Galveston Bay is not "pristine", but the the waters are no more polluted than those near any other industrial area. The "brown" is from longshore drift and sediments carried in by rivers in the area. You need to get offshore a bit for any viz, although you will occasionally hear of "green water to the beach", this is not predictible.

I would suggest a rig dive, or in normal times, a trip to the Flower Gardens. Right now, the Gardens are problematic. There is no "oil", but the Fling, the main charter, is booked with NOAA oil spill response through mid-August. I still have a trip on the books for August 27, but it's iffy.

Like someone said, Cozumel is a short flight away.