PDA

View Full Version : Which Backup Light: Princeton Tec Torrent LED or UK SL4 eled?

granchez
09-03-2007, 13:39
Hi,
purchasing my first backup light and wanted some feedback on
the Princeton Tec Torrent LED and the UK SL4 eled. Which you guys prefer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kidder
09-03-2007, 14:51
I have a Princeton shock wave as my primary and a Princeton Tec-40 as my back up. Both are very bright and good buys.

greyzen
09-03-2007, 15:01
I'm duel weilding UK SL6... though not eLED :(

Aussie
09-04-2007, 08:18
I have the UK SL4 eLED and I love it. Nice bright white light. Recommend it.

Aussie

GONEHAWKN
09-04-2007, 14:23
i second the SL4 eLED. i have this light as well and love it. it works great top side too. for the $$$ i dont think you can beat it.

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 17:26
The UK SL4 is one of the most popular diving lights ever made. Good balance of small size, battery life, and brightness. The LED version adds even more durability... and if something should go wrong, UK's warranty service is outstanding.

There are better (stronger, more powerful, etc) lights, but that one seems to have hit a real sweet spot in the market.

jeraldjcook
09-04-2007, 17:42
I third the UK SL4. I have the non-led version and it's great. I'm sure the led version is even better.

RECDiver
09-05-2007, 10:09
I have the Tec Torrent. It's 7.5 watts of light. A great backup especially for deep diving.

Bill22
09-05-2007, 10:33
Hi,
purchasing my first backup light and wanted some feedback on
the Princeton Tec Torrent LED and the UK SL4 eled. Which you guys prefer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use the UK SL4 eled as my backup and I think it's a GREAT light :-) Very bright, very WHITE light. Fits right in the pocket of my BCD. A great backup! :-)

I haven't seen this particular Princeton Tec light. I have the Princeton Tec Shockwave Rechargeable also, which I haven't used. I loaned it to my buddy for one dive. A nice light, very bright, but he said that it lasted only about 50 minutes into a 65 minute dive, then he had to go to his backup. Possibly some of the charge had bled off, since it had been a couple of weeks since I had charged it.

I received the Shockwave in late July. It had been on back order from when I had ordered the rest of my gear in June. By the time it arrived I had decided to upgrade to a professional strobe and had bought my Ikelite DS125 substrobe. The DS125 has a modeling light (one of the reasons I bought it). That became my primary light.

drdiver
09-05-2007, 18:40
I've had a couple of Princeton Tec lights and didn't find them very durable. I don't know about this particular model. They may have improved. I've had uniformly good luck with Underwater Kinetic lights of all types.

Damselfish
09-06-2007, 02:01
How are these size LED lights during the day in clear water? Right now I have a PT Surge that I use a lot during the day to peek in holes and stuff, it works pretty well for that. But I don't think they're making it anymore and it chews bulbs, which are getting hard to find. :(

CompuDude
09-06-2007, 03:39
How are these size LED lights during the day in clear water? Right now I have a PT Surge that I use a lot during the day to peek in holes and stuff, it works pretty well for that. But I don't think they're making it anymore and it chews bulbs, which are getting hard to find. :(
They're fine for the general uses you have listed.

And you're far less likely to burn out a bulb. ;)

Bill22
09-06-2007, 04:44

My UK SL4 eled works great for that. Can't comment on long term use, since I've only used it on a few dives, but I would agree with CompuDude that the led's will last much longer than bulbs.

brandon
09-06-2007, 16:49
I had a PT shockwave when I first started diving... it's still in a box somewhere.

Bought a SL4 on a trip to Hawaii after realizing I left the PT light at home. Great light, and now my preferred backup / bc pocket light. It goes on every dive with me (over 100 now), and never had a problem with it.

-Brandon.

bperrybap
09-16-2007, 01:19

The SL4 eLED works great for peeking up under ledges
and even for pointing out stuff to people during the day.
The tight beam is bright enough to see even in moderate
bright light when not under overhangs.
I will say that this is not the case for the UK Q40 eLED+.
Nice little light for night, but not visible during the day.
So while the UK light output specs look the same for the
Q40 eLED+ and the SL4 eLED, they are not. The SL4
eLED is MUCH bright and has a narrower beam.
My wife uses her SL4 eLED as a primary light.
So if you are looking for a LED light that works
during the day you'll want the SL4 over the Q40.

--- bill