PDA

View Full Version : Question Dive computer DSAT vs. PZ+

ionic diver
01-27-2010, 09:13
I just got an Oceanic Veo 2.0, can any one explain the DSAT vs. PZ+ and how each play a role in my dive plan. I typically use my RDP, I think that it is basically the DSAT right?

j1j2j38
01-27-2010, 09:23
does the manual offer any help?

ionic diver
01-27-2010, 10:00
This is all it says, but how does this effect my dives etc... What situations are best for each... pros cons etc...

From the manual:

DSAT has been the standard used by Oceanic in all of its dive computers until this time. It features NDLs that are based on exposures and test data which also formed validation for the PADI RDP. It imposes restrictions for repetitive Deco dives considered more risky.

PZ+ performance is based on Buhlmann ZHL-16c. It features NDLs that are considerably more conservative especially at shallower depths.

comet24
01-27-2010, 14:49
My understanding is(understanding I am not an expert on these two models as executed by Oceanic.)

DSAT is for recreational profiles. It give better BT for non deco dives but will punish you if you choose to do multiply deco dive in a day with it.

PZ+ is for technical diving where you will be doing deco. It will punish you with less BT if you do simple rec. dives with this program. The thing with PZ+ is it's using a Buhlmann model. I use this model when I do deco dives but with adjustable GF(Gradient Factors.) This way I can control the curve of my deco model. Basically adjusting the deepest stop and the time spent at the shallower stops.

You look like a new diver put it in DSAT and be done with it. FYI you can change models between dives. You have to wait 24hrs(I think that's the time) to let all your tissue clear. Really shouldn't be a factor though.

in_cavediver
01-27-2010, 20:12
Comet has it right. Its just two different models - the DSAT (RDP) and Bulhmann model (IANTD tables). DSAT is strictly no-stop diving with modifications unique to no-stop diving. Buhlmann is more versitile with no-stop and deco profiles provided.

In general - either model works well (I like and use Buhlmann for all of my dives). For strictly rec profiles, you can take advantage of the 'special case' that DSAT used to give longer BT on repetive diving. My personal opinion is that a diver who is diving the computer/tables properly, will never notice a difference in rec limits anyway. Remember - never push any limits when diving. Riding the NDL line is a bad idea.