PDA

View Full Version : NEW DIVER NAUI vs PADI

mattelite2101
01-27-2010, 19:09
i am new to diving i want to get certified my friend at work suggested PADI and i have also hearf about NAUI but i was wondering what the difference was and if anyone could give some info on the difference of the two thanks
matt

Rileybri
01-27-2010, 19:54
PADI is a for profit Co.
NAUI is a non profit Co.

Asking that question around here is like asking what ball park has the best hotdogs! lol

That said I had a very good experience with a NAUI instructor. In the end its not the agency that teaches you. Find the best most knowledgeable instructor you can find and go get certified with him/her. That said I say go with NAUI, no PADI, Wait no SSI, sorry no the YMCA, oops they dont do it any more so go with GUI and jump right in to the deep end, sorry that would suck go with, wait what was the question?

Quero
01-27-2010, 20:40
Asking that question around here is like asking what ball park has the best hotdogs! lol
:smiliez.de_2125:
Fully agree... first post and a "powderkeg" question like that... I really hope it's a newby with a naive question and not a troll!

That said I had a very good experience with a NAUI instructor. In the end its not the agency that teaches you. Find the best most knowledgeable instructor you can find and go get certified with him/her. That said I say go with NAUI, no PADI, Wait no SSI, sorry no the YMCA, oops they dont do it any more so go with GUI and jump right in to the deep end, sorry that would suck go with, wait what was the question?

I've had training through a whole bunch of agencies, including PADI and NAUI, and even though I'm now a PADI instructor, I can unhesitatingly second Rileybri's analysis that it's the instructor and not the agency that makes the most difference at the basic levels of training. When you advance in your dive training you may appreciate one agency's approach (or business model) over another a bit more, but at the intro level the most salient variable is the instructor because the training standards are pretty, well, "standard" across agencies with only slight variations in the actual training itself. So find an instructor you like, that you feel good about on a personal level, and you'll most likely have an excellent training experience.

digitalman
01-27-2010, 22:49
They're right, the instructor, not the agency, makes the course.

I got an OW cert from PADI and NAUI at the same time to compare them for myself. Either agency's certification will allow you to buy air and dive anywhere in the world.

PADI is a little easier as NAUI has a more difficult test and requires a few more skills of their OW students. Both are good programs and offer continuing education based on your interests.

ssmdive
01-28-2010, 12:03
Ford vs Chevy.

navychop
01-29-2010, 20:57
I've taken Open Water to Divemaster with NAUI and PADI. Now enrolled in the NAUI Instructor program. I think the knowledge learning, the books, the videos, especially at the Master Scuba diver lever are better in NAUI. But I've had excellent instructors via PADI too and learned a great deal there. Pick up an compare the materials for Open Water from each and compare.

Vercingetorix
01-30-2010, 08:27
Chocolate or vanilla: which is best?

Do a search on this forum and scubaboard.com for this subject. You'll get all the info you need without rehashing it here.

Sorry to be curt, but it's a common question which has been asked and answered.

Rileybri
01-30-2010, 09:02

Do a search on this forum and scubaboard.com for this subject. You'll get all the info you need without rehashing it here.

"Your Honer, Objection! Asked and Answered!"

Trunk_Monkey
02-26-2010, 22:25

"Your Honer, Objection! Asked and Answered!"

Sustained.:smashfreakB:

Splitlip
02-26-2010, 23:12
Come on. The guy's first post and he get's a "do a search"?

He does not know it was "asked and answered". Besides my experience on other forums; often when an old question is posted, you get additional and new information.

I saw new information here in the few replies we had.

IMO, if you don't want to see a "rehashed" topic, don't log on to the thread. The title of the OP's post was very clear.

Don't stifle anybody.

Splitlip
02-26-2010, 23:17
Oh, I just saw the date of the OP.

Job well done! He made one post a month ago and has not returned.

Way to go!

"Oh, BTW Matt, welcome to Scubatoys." "You'll find us a lot more friendly and layed back than 'the other board'". "Ask away. plenty of people here to help". yada yada yada.

mcr0112
09-19-2010, 13:01
I was first certified by BSAC, then 30 years later got recerted by PADI. The instructor is the most important thing to consider.

Rileybri
09-19-2010, 14:05
as a new diver it does not matter in the least who you get your card from so long as you have a decent instructor!

Straegen
09-19-2010, 16:38
and practice, practice, practice skills whenever a diver gets a chance.

TwistedSister209
09-19-2010, 16:52
Sometimes getting back in to read your question isn't easy.

Instructor, not agency. So how do you know? Ask. Find your area, or if there's a local dive club, go there for some opinions. That's what I did.

Tom H
09-19-2010, 21:19
I belong to just about all the forums, and it's pretty safe to say that every conceivable scuba topic has been re-hashed someplace. Finding something new is a rarity.

navyhmc
09-19-2010, 21:48
Not flaming mcr0112, but y'all realize this thread is 9 months old???

I do agree that instructor is the key factor.

Lenaxia
09-19-2010, 23:59
Haha, 9 what? That was like yesterday!

Noob
09-20-2010, 09:34
They're right, the instructor, not the agency, makes the course.

I agree with that right there. There are great instructors in all of them.

Kingpatzer
09-21-2010, 10:44
Instructor, not agency.

The one advantage to PADI is that there is enough standardization, and global presence, that you can take part of the course in one place, go on vacation, and finish the rest of the course pretty much anywhere else in the world -- and you get to do this by standard.

NAUI is not quite so flexible in that regard.