PDA

View Full Version : Dive Knife attachment

Kimmie
07-12-2007, 20:04
Where on your webbing/harness/BCD do you attach your dive knife and why?

przeor
07-13-2007, 00:44
I put a small knife on my inflator hose. the weight of the knife keeps the hose right where i want it and i always know where my knife is.that knife doubles as my noisemaker- i can pluck it out and hit the bottom of it on my tank. i also have a small z-knife on the wristband of my computer. always good to have a back up!

texdiveguy
07-13-2007, 01:01
I carry a Zeagle sheath knife on my waist belt..my R side.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 01:46
I keep a small knife on my waist band, close to the center where it could be reached with either hand. I also have a line cutter on my right shoulder strap. A pair of trauma shears is kept clipped off in my suit's pocket.

On occasion I strap a larger knife to my inner calf.

wxboy911
07-13-2007, 06:04
I have an Aeris Silver Jack on my BC(Aeris AtmostXT)strap down near my waistband and a folding knife in my "key" pocket I guess you would call it on the front of the BC. I am looking for something a bit larger for the inside of my calf-All of my underwater cutlery has blunt points.

frankc420
07-13-2007, 07:46
I have a small knife attached to my LP inflater hose, easy to reach, and by the time I get really used to my rig I'll know where to reach for my knife without having to think about it.

plot
07-14-2007, 18:18
I have a small frame and a backplate/wing... not many places for me to stick a knife. Won't fit anywhere on my webbing as there simply isn't enough room. :(
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So when I take a knife out with me, it's usually strapped to my leg. I've thought about the idea of clipping the knife off of a d-ring, just don't know how well I'd be able to get to it and resheath it.</DIV>

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 18:48
I have a small frame and a backplate/wing... not many places for me to stick a knife. Won't fit anywhere on my webbing as there simply isn't enough room. :(
<div></div>
<div>So when I take a knife out with me, it's usually strapped to my leg. I've thought about the idea of clipping the knife off of a d-ring, just don't know how well I'd be able to get to it and resheath it.
What else do you have on your harness' waist belt such that you don't even have 2" of space for a knife?

I've seen sheathes that can mount vertically on your shoulder harness straps, if that helps any. I just can't picture literally not even having 2" of space unless you have a bunch of stuff that would be better off elsewhere already on your belt.
</div>

cummings66
07-14-2007, 19:01
I'd say there should be some sort of room there, I've yet to see some diver that skinny. In fact, I think, no lets not go there.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I keep mine on the waist strap beside the crotch strap so it's easily reached as well.</DIV>

plot
07-14-2007, 19:06
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So when I take a knife out with me, it's usually strapped to my leg. I've thought about the idea of clipping the knife off of a d-ring, just don't know how well I'd be able to get to it and resheath it.
What else do you have on your harness' waist belt such that you don't even have 2" of space for a knife?

I've seen sheathes that can mount vertically on your shoulder harness straps, if that helps any. I just can't picture literally not even having 2" of space unless you have a bunch of stuff that would be better off elsewhere already on your belt.
</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I use the profit DSS harness, https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=11</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In between the clips and the d-rings, after I have the thing fully tightened to fit my frame, there isn't a whole lot of room. I use a 6 pocket XS scuba weight belt from scubatoys that barely fits around my waist completely tightened...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I might try attaching it to my right shoulder.. I'm a bit leary of sticking a knife on my inflator hose though, don't want to accidentally stab it.</DIV>

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 19:15
There shouldn't be anything on your belt between the buckle at the front center and the left hip D-Ring. That's the place where a knife generally fits on anyone. Do you have something else on your belt in that space? Unless you have the waist of a 5 year old, I still can't see how there wouldn't be 2" of space there. Have any pics?

plot
07-14-2007, 19:24
My weight belt is in the way of anything on my waist.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I just put my bp/w on and tried to take pics, but they didn't turn out so well becuase I couldn't hold my phone far back enough to get the whole view. My harness goes around under my armpits leaving no room to comfortable mount something on it... leaving my inflator hose, or possibly if I got a 4 pocket weight belt, I might be able to stick one on it.</DIV>

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 19:36
Hmm. Tough call, I guess. If you don't care about DIR configurations, I think inflator hose mount might be one of your few options.

Strapping to your leg works, too, but it's not always possible to reach it. Another option may be to get pockets (or x shorts) and keep on in the pocket? Not ideal, but sometimes you gotta make do...

frankc420
07-14-2007, 23:58
Uhm, put your rig on with the knife already attached, then put on your weight belt... I don't really get what the problem is? Maybe a picture will help us understand?

paintballindivr
07-15-2007, 00:07
i riveted holes in my BCD just above the wait pocket and just above the bladder (USE CAUTION) i almost popped the bladder but its awsome there easy access wen u sheath it no hoses near by and its blunt so no worrys about puncturing the BCD so ya

Apekscor
07-15-2007, 05:50
I have my small knife attached to my pressure gauge hose.

Apekscor
07-15-2007, 05:56
The reason for this is that Technisub Mini Zak Alfa comes with a handy attachment system for this rig.

Queen
07-15-2007, 06:27
I drilled two holes in the rubberized part of my BC pocket and attached my knife there. It's easily accessible and still completely out of my way.

cummings66
07-15-2007, 06:58
I think the other guy got it, your weight belt is over the crotch strap isn't it? You can put it under like most of us, that will give you the option you want. Another hint, since you got the DSS plate you can add the weight plates on it, might not even need a weight belt after that.

plot
07-15-2007, 08:46
I have no hips, my weight belt tries to slide off if I put it below my waist band. I'm going to beaver lake this weekend, if anyones there, I'll show you then.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Isn't having dichable weights generally a good idea?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've gotten a few ideas from this thread, I'll try a few different arrangements and get back to you guys on what worked.</DIV>

CompuDude
07-15-2007, 12:40
Technical divers in a bp/w will usually wear the weight belt under the crotch strap, because the risks of losing it accidentally and being unable to maintain depth with a deco obligation far outweigh the few extra seconds it takes to unbuckle the waist strap first in the extremely rare emergency.

Plus with a pocket belt you could fairly easily drop just the weights and not the belt.

I'd play with things more. You really should be able to get a knife on that strap.

A final option may be to consider going with the simpler hogarthian harness (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=12) instead of the pro-fit. Believe it or not, it's far more adjustable. You set it once and forget it. There are no quick releases under your arms to limit the sizing options, either.

techgnostic
07-15-2007, 23:22
"I keep a small knife on my waist band, close to the center where it could be reached with either hand. I also have a line cutter on my right shoulder strap. A pair of trauma shears is kept clipped off in my suit's pocket.

On occasion I strap a larger knife to my inner calf."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Chebas...where are you diving...the Klingon homeworld? </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Usually a primary and a backup do the trick for me.
</DIV>

techgnostic
07-15-2007, 23:41
"I keep a small knife on my waist band, close to the center where it could be reached with either hand. I also have a line cutter on my right shoulder strap. A pair of trauma shears is kept clipped off in my suit's pocket.

On occasion I strap a larger knife to my inner calf."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Chebas...where are you diving...the Klingon homeworld? </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Usually a primary and a backup do the trick for me.
</DIV>

94GTStang
07-16-2007, 00:40
I keep a foot long blade attached to my leg in case I encounter a shark with a laser beam on its head. But normally, I have a small UK blade attached to my BC pocket that is easily accessible and doesn't get in the way

CompuDude
07-16-2007, 02:10
"I keep a small knife on my waist band, close to the center where it could be reached with either hand. I also have a line cutter on my right shoulder strap. A pair of trauma shears is kept clipped off in my suit's pocket.On occasion I strap a larger knife to my inner calf."
<div>Chebas...where are you diving...the Klingon homeworld? </div>
<div>Usually a primary and a backup do the trick for me.</div>
Cute.

In my area, SoCal, diving with three cutting devices is pretty normal. The right tool for the right job. You always want a knife, but sometimes a line cutter or trauma shears are the best tools for the job. Entanglement, be it in kelp or fishing lines or nets, is a real hazard.

The only cutting tool of the three I consider optional is the big knife on my leg... but that's taken along extremely rarely.

cummings66
07-16-2007, 07:48
I have no hips, my weight belt tries to slide off if I put it below my waist band. I'm going to beaver lake this weekend, if anyones there, I'll show you then.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You're thinking of Beaver Lake on the 21st abd 22nd? I might be heading down that way for diving this coming weekend.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>At any rate you don't need ditchable weights. In fact in the rescue class about the only time you really ditched them was at the surface or when somebody was so overweighted and had other troubles that you had no other choice. It's not the first solution that you choose, it's the last.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's pretty safe to have it under the crotch strap.</DIV>

frankc420
07-16-2007, 09:45
Honestly, I'm not going to have ditchable weight, mine will be on my cam bands. That's probably wrong, but that's how it's going to be, unless I put them on my waist strap.. Then again I'm not going to be over weighted either, so I should be able to swim up whatever weight I'm carrying.

BSea
07-16-2007, 11:04
Seems we've gotton off the knife thing, but I also keep mine on my inflator hose for the same reason someone else mentioned it. It helps wieght the hose so it hangs down where it's more natual. That being said, I normal don't take a backup knife/cutter. I may start bringing along some shears depending on the type of dive. But I think if I were diving in kelp beds, I would do exactly what compudude does except for maybe the calf knife.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Now if I could find a vulcan knife, I'd have to wear that on my waist strap.</DIV>

plot
07-16-2007, 17:12
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You're thinking of Beaver Lake on the 21st abd 22nd? I might be heading down that way for diving this coming weekend.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>At any rate you don't need ditchable weights. In fact in the rescue class about the only time you really ditched them was at the surface or when somebody was so overweighted and had other troubles that you had no other choice. It's not the first solution that you choose, it's the last.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's pretty safe to have it under the crotch strap.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>20th-22nd I'll be down around the Lost Bridge area with a shop here in Kansas City... but I should have some spare time somewhere in there.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'll try putting it under my crotch strap to see how well it sits under there... don't know if it'll slide down or not. I might try putting a few weight belt pockets on my harness and getting rid of the actual weight belt if it'll all fit.</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 20:10
i have a t rex small knife on my inflator hose to me perfect location when u need it verses around ankle or thigh

scubasamurai
09-05-2007, 19:28
actually have the same problem, not too much space on the waist for a knife and with the drings minimal space for one on the actually strap. being stupid i didn;t think about putting one either on the pressure hose or the inflator hose( where most of the space is taken up on the shoulder)
thanks for the tips.
managed to get a small z knife to the shoulder and i have a blade on the inner thigh,
might put some trauma shears in the weight pocket enough space in there with those dive rite 32's they are pockets with pockets haha

DivingsInMyBlood
09-05-2007, 19:30
I strap my dive knife to my outside right thigh.

Aussie
09-05-2007, 21:34
I have shears next to my left waist d-ring. I dont carry a knife.

I would suggest if you do strap a knife to your leg that it maybe it should be on the inside of the leg. so if you happen to ditch a weight belt it doesnt get caught up when you drop it. :smiley11:

Thats my 5 cents......we got rid of 2 cents over here years ago.

Aussie

creggur
09-05-2007, 22:08
Mine is on my HP hose. When I clip my console off to the retractor on my right chest area the kife rides right in front of me. Easy to get to..

CompuDude
09-05-2007, 23:39
I have shears next to my left waist d-ring. I dont carry a knife.

I would suggest if you do strap a knife to your leg that it maybe it should be on the inside of the leg. so if you happen to ditch a weight belt it doesnt get caught up when you drop it. :smiley11:

Thats my 5 cents......we got rid of 2 cents over here years ago.

Aussie

Agreed. Also, it is less likely to catch underwater flora (such as kelp, in these parts) when worn on the inside. Inside the calf is a popular mounting spot for those who still strap on the big knives.

Phestr
09-06-2007, 03:12
I wear a linecutter on my chestband, easy reach for both hands. WHen I do wear my big knife, it's on the inside right calf.

paintsnow
09-07-2007, 00:31
i wear a wenoka big squeeze on my chest strap (on the nipple line) and i have emt shears on my waist strap closer to the right side.

while both the knife and the shears are more over to the right then center or left i can still reach them easily with my left hand

if i know there will be a lot of entanglement hazards i would wear my not yet purchased ocean master titanium in the drysuit knife pocket thingy

Ajuva
09-14-2007, 17:25
Larger titanium knife on the inside of the right thigh handle down with an oceanic Spinner mounted on the right hand BCD shoulder strap "Just in case".

Ajuva
09-14-2007, 17:26
Old Avatar pic with Wenoka on the right calf

coralcrazed
09-14-2007, 20:13
I attach my knife up-side-down on my right shoulder strap of my bc... the reason is I find that I can get to it with either my right or left hand. Thats important if you are tangled badly. I also tried wearing it to my right inside calf and when swiming with fins I found it would get in the way. hope that helps.

NightLife
09-15-2007, 14:09
I screwed it into my waste webbing.

sudnit5
09-15-2007, 15:41
My knife has a sheath built into the computer. Works pretty well.