PDA

View Full Version : UW Maui photos

Zenagirl
01-27-2010, 19:02
I finally got our photos edited from our trip to Maui in December. If you're interested, go to the Maui tab and scroll down to look.

http://divetraveladventures.site.shutterfly.com/

Rileybri
01-27-2010, 19:16
Outstanding! I love the arms open wide like they/you were trying to hug the humpback.

mocepts
01-27-2010, 19:28
Wow! Very nice.

DevilDiver
01-27-2010, 20:25
Great photos! The Whale is amazing, very cool.

Was this a chance incounter or did they let jump in when they spotted it?

Did your husband get a new camera?

Zenagirl
01-28-2010, 07:46
Great photos! The Whale is amazing, very cool.

Was this a chance incounter or did they let jump in when they spotted it?

Totally chance encounter. In Hawaii it is illegal to purposefully dive with the whales (spot and jump). Boats and swimmers are to stay at least 100 yards away unless the whale comes close, and people are to stay on the boats if they do. The Hawaiians take their whale protection laws super seriously.

The funny thing was that there was ripping current and we had to pull ourselves down the anchor line flapping like flags in a hurricane! Most of us were wondering if this dive was a good idea while on the way down. But once on the bottom, the current laid down and while most of us were catching our breath one of the DM's started to scream and point. The whale came by about 40-50' away from us (judging by the 60' viz) and was about 30-40' long. He went by, circled in front, and went off into the blue. We had about a 10-15 second encounter, and I'm sure he was wondering what the heck all those "screaming bubble fish" were (us) as he went by! <LOL>

Ironically, the guy who has his arms up was the one guy on the boat who didn't want to go to this dive site! He was actually kind of peeved we were going there...but that feeling quickly went away. <LOL> It was fun to tease him later.

There were actually 4 divers in the water with cameras when the whale came by, but my husband was the only one who got the shot. One guy was so amazed he forgot to take photos, one guy had his on play back mode and couldn't switch it, and another guy had his on macro and the whale came out as a huge blob.

Did your husband get a new camera?

Yes. We upgraded from the Sea&Sea DX8000G to a Sea&Sea DX-2G. Huge difference in photo quality, macro was so much better, and the spot focus is the bomb!!

DevilDiver
01-28-2010, 07:50
Very very cool...

That's what I thought, I was wondering if they had changed the policies since we were there.

Glad you like the 2G, photos look great!

dkh6070
01-28-2010, 08:15
The teeth on that Viper moray look like they will severe a limb.

dkh6070
01-28-2010, 08:21
OK, After looking through all the photos, Is it common to see that many different unique species in Maui or was this a unusually good trip for photos?

Zenagirl
01-28-2010, 16:32
It will depend on a lot of who you dive with or if you dive alone. We do the majority of our diving with Ed Robinson's so the DMs know us well, know the creatures we're interested in seeing, and in this year's case, simply remarking once that I wanted to see nudis resulted in the cornucopia we were treated to as the DMs searched and found. Ed's crew has been with him forever and they really know where and what to look for, and LOVE to hunt and find interesting creatures.

So for creatures, I'd say this year wasn't necessarily unique, but for the whale encounter and surface whale watching, it was extremely special and unique.

PACKRMAN
01-28-2010, 17:44
Love the whale

Where did you find the black coral? I thought it only grew at 300 feet?

Travelnsj
01-28-2010, 20:59
Great trip report and photos....Love the Whale! and all the nudis....I've never seen that much in all my dives in Maui...But perhaps that was because I have gotten so seasick every time I have dove there...LOL

Zenagirl
01-29-2010, 07:44
Bonine is my friend! ;)

The Black Coral was on the backwall of Molokini, and I guarantee we weren't near 300'! :) There's also a huge Black Coral "tree" in the Second Cathedral on Lanai, but its white due to the lack of sunlight.

scubastud
01-29-2010, 10:56
Can't click any of your photos..?

Chocoholic
06-05-2010, 00:19
Thanks for sharing these pictures. I am way more excited about our trip now.
I was thinking it would be a golfing trip for my hubby and as a sideline I would
dive. But now, I will be in the water a lot more, hunting for nudis and eels and
turtles.

Glub000
06-05-2010, 13:04
Great pics, thanks for sharing. I've got to learn how to do that underwater photography thing.

Zenagirl
06-05-2010, 16:35
Thanks guys! My husband is actually the photographer, I just spend hours editing them after we get home. ;)

We love Maui and really think the key to finding great critters is having great guides. We can't wait to return again later this year...it just doesn't get old for us.