PDA

View Full Version : Training, Training, and more Training

skdvr
09-03-2007, 15:26
I am curious as to how long everyone waited before going onto some other training after OW. Then in what order you did classes and why you picked that.

I have been diving for a little over a year and just finished up my Advanced Open Water. It is something that I wanted to do to further my skills and be able to take the next step twards DM. I also wanted to go Ice Diving in which I needed the Advanced Course.

I just signed up for the Dry Suit course - which I need to go Ice Diving like I stated above, but also because I live in the midwest and I do not only want to be able to dive in the summer time.

I also just signed up for the Nitrox course. I am pretty sure that everyone knows the benifits of doing that so that is pretty much why I am taking that class.

That is all that I have planned for the imediate future. I am going to take the Rescue Diver course next year that I can be one more step closer to getting my DM.

Phil

Xspect
09-03-2007, 17:33
I take classes or plan to take classes as soon as the become available and my schedule allows

NitroWill
09-03-2007, 17:38
Im just finishing MSD and about to start AI/DM sooon..
I make sure im fully prepared for the course and have the time to practice and learn..In terms of numbers, Im at about 550~ dives roughly right now

deepdiver47
09-03-2007, 19:26
I waited for 2 years between my OW and AOW. I wanted to gain experience in diving before I did AOW.

The problem I have with the certs is that there is no amount of dives required between the two. An example is OW and AOW. You could get one one week and the other the next week.

Advanced classes should be like promotions at work, they take time in the seat (experience) in order to take the next step. Otherwise, what does AOW really mean? Are your skills good enough or not?

Kidder
09-03-2007, 19:30
I waited a year between the OW to the advanced myself

finflippers
09-03-2007, 19:39
I went three years after my OW before getting my AOW then I went for my Nitrox two years later. The reason I decided on Nitrox after AOW was so I could get a greater safety margin when diving.

Kidder
09-03-2007, 19:50
It seems like computer make diving Nitrox a ton simpler. As long as you know the basic rules and risks before you dive.

LCF
09-03-2007, 20:06
I did AOW immediately after OW, because I was afraid to get in the water without an instructor (and had no business doing so, to be honest with you). I went on to do the PPB and Deep specialties pretty soon thereafter, because our instructor encouraged us to do it, and everybody seemed to be going along. I did part of the Nav specialty, but never finished it, because about that time I started getting pretty disillusioned about what I was (or rather wasn't) learning.

I then hooked up with a mentor, who was wonderful, and about six months after I got certified I took GUE's Fundamentals class. A fantastic class, which hugely changed how I dive. That winter, I took Rescue, which is another fantastic class, and Nitrox, which has been very useful.

The next fall, I took Breakthru Diving's Rec 2 class, which was a very good class, and a wreck diving workshop from our local DIR shop, which was superb and great fun. This last spring, I took GUE's Rec Triox class, which I am still trying to pass. No classes since, but I'm scheduled to do a cavern class in Mexico in October, and GUE's Cave 1 in Mexico in April.

Lots of training, and really, most of it has contributed to making me a better, safer and more thoughtful diver.

skdvr
09-03-2007, 21:32
It seems like computer make diving Nitrox a ton simpler. As long as you know the basic rules and risks before you dive.

I think that a computer makes your diving safer either on air or nitrox. You still have to know the limits incase your computer decides to quit on you in the middle of a dive. The computer is not a substitute for knowledge. You cannot just jump into the water and expect your computer to save your butt. What if you forget to change your computer from air to nitrox. You need to be able to know how to calculate your ppO2. Computers are great and I think have certainly increased the safety of diving but they can be a crutch as well when you rely only on them to do everything for you...

I agree with spacing out some of the training to gain experience before you go onto something else. I do not think you should do OW then the next week do AOW and then follow that up with Rescue because what really are you learning? All you are doing is going through the motions and not taking the time to actually use what you have just learned. There are classes that I think can be put back to back, but I think that you can overload yourself. yeah you get more c-cards but you cannot demonstrate the ability's that you supposedly learned in your course.

Phil

finflippers
09-03-2007, 21:38

I think that a computer makes your diving safer either on air or nitrox. You still have to know the limits incase your computer decides to quit on you in the middle of a dive. The computer is not a substitute for knowledge. You cannot just jump into the water and expect your computer to save your butt. What if you forget to change your computer from air to nitrox. You need to be able to know how to calculate your ppO2. Computers are great and I think have certainly increased the safety of diving but they can be a crutch as well when you rely only on them to do everything for you...

I agree with spacing out some of the training to gain experience before you go onto something else. I do not think you should do OW then the next week do AOW and then follow that up with Rescue because what really are you learning? All you are doing is going through the motions and not taking the time to actually use what you have just learned. There are classes that I think can be put back to back, but I think that you can overload yourself. yeah you get more c-cards but you cannot demonstrate the ability's that you supposedly learned in your course.

Phil

Very well put :smiley32::smiley32::smiley32:

PlatypusMan
09-03-2007, 23:04
I waited 23 years between OW and AOW.

I like to take my time, and get a few dives in to make the class meaningful.

After that (in no particular order):

Rescue
Nitrox
Dry Suit
DAN DEMP
Training Assistant
Master Diver (as part of the DM Candidate Program at ST)

wxboy911
09-04-2007, 08:36
It will probable be a year between OW and AOW-I got certified back in June and may try and take the DAN 0xegen course this fall. I would have taken underwater navigation last month if it fit into my schedule.