PDA

View Full Version : makes you think alittle.

bigman241
01-28-2010, 06:53
As most of you properly know when we first started planning to get our cert over a year ago I gave little thought to solo diving. Honestly I did not see a issue with it. After reading some info and talking with alot of you guys. It hit me alittle bit and starting think that before I do it I need to make sure I had the right setup IE pony bottle second knife this that. After watching the padi video, some clips on youtube. I know think I need to wait untill I get some dive and maybe take the solo course. I know wonder just how dumb I was in those early days thinking it was safe the day after the ink drys on my cert card. Though I still plan on it just alittle safer. :smiley2:

dkh6070
01-28-2010, 07:41
Knowledge = power, my friend. When you have knowledge, you can make an informed choice (whether that choice is good or bad is up to you). When you don't have knowledge, you have limited choices thus making the odds of choosing wrong much greater. It is called the "Law of Averages" and many times referred to as Darwin's law.

Vlane
01-28-2010, 13:21
You've realized two of the key things of diving, be informed and take it slow. I was in your shoes not too long ago and I learned the exact same things, but I still can be overly eager. My ultimate goal is tec diving and maybe cave diving but I realize I am quite a ways off from those. I'm hoping with a drysuit I can get more dives in per year so I can get closer to that goal but the key is to not rush things, that's when mistakes happen.

bigman241
01-28-2010, 13:58
I am right there with you. Tec cave wreck all the good stuff that makes you life likly shorter
You've realized two of the key things of diving, be informed and take it slow. I was in your shoes not too long ago and I learned the exact same things, but I still can be overly eager. My ultimate goal is tec diving and maybe cave diving but I realize I am quite a ways off from those. I'm hoping with a drysuit I can get more dives in per year so I can get closer to that goal but the key is to not rush things, that's when mistakes happen.

Vlane
01-28-2010, 14:18
I am right there with you. Tec cave wreck all the good stuff that makes you life likly shorter
Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a lamb right haha. I would ultimately like to make a slow transition into tec over the next few years even if it's just taking the GUE fundies course or something equivalent. You ask just about anyone when they started diving and they'll say not soon enough, I don't want to be in that position when on down the road. Only thing I can do now is get the dives and experience in until I feel like I'm ready to move on.

bigman241
01-28-2010, 16:30
I would rather die on the bottom 200 feet down because I soloed or went wreck diving because I was a dumb*** then die sitting on my couch with a cheeseburger in my hand. Though I would perfer not to die at all :smiley36:

Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a lamb right haha. I would ultimately like to make a slow transition into tec over the next few years even if it's just taking the GUE fundies course or something equivalent. You ask just about anyone when they started diving and they'll say not soon enough, I don't want to be in that position when on down the road. Only thing I can do now is get the dives and experience in until I feel like I'm ready to move on.

Rileybri
01-28-2010, 16:37
I would rather die on the bottom 200 feet down because I soloed or went wreck diving because I was a dumb*** then die sitting on my couch with a cheeseburger in my hand. Though I would perfer not to die at all :smiley36:

I think I can speak for all of us following you quest when I say we would rather not sit and eat said cheese burger or die at 200'. How about a salad on the beach and you stick to 60-80' for a wile. There is plenty to see and do at that depth and you get the most bang for your diving buck! have patience young jedi the force is strong within you dont let it turn you to make poor choices!

bigman241
01-28-2010, 16:49
:smiley32::smiley32::smiley32::smiley32:. I have no intention to break that 60 foot plane. But agree. But when I get done a salad is worst then a cheeseburger. how about a turkey burger :smiley36:

I think I can speak for all of us following you quest when I say we would rather not sit and eat said cheese burger or die at 200'. How about a salad on the beach and you stick to 60-80' for a wile. There is plenty to see and do at that depth and you get the most bang for your diving buck! have patience young jedi the force is strong within you dont let it turn you to make poor choices!