PDA

View Full Version : couple ebay regs should i commit

chewyjr15
09-03-2007, 16:26
http://cgi.ebay.com/Oceanic-DELTA-4-FDX-10-DVT-Scuba-Regulator_W0QQitemZ120157266989QQihZ002QQcategoryZ 16056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oceanic-GT3-CDX5-Scuba-Regulator-New-in-Box_W0QQitemZ260154839134QQihZ016QQcategoryZ16056Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

im looking at the GT 3 what do you all think

thesmoothdome
09-03-2007, 16:41
I've sold regs on ebay (and through ads before ebay) and even bought a used reg once. Even so, a regulator is the one thing that I would not buy used at this point of my life. I just don't trust people to maintain equipment as well as I do and even with a good service tech in the fold, I don't want to find out after I bought it that the first stage is in bad shape.

Capt Hook
09-03-2007, 17:02
I see no reason not to buy on ebay, with the usual caveat that you have them serviced before using.

Xspect
09-03-2007, 17:12
I brought my MK25/S555 for $200 on ebay. I had it serviced as soon I got it.

Ebay has a up to $2000 buyer protection program.

But you have to factor in the loss of the free parts and loss of warranty.

Jamesmb
09-03-2007, 17:22
I have bought at least 7 or 8 regulators off of ebay recently, all were used and I wanted to try different brands and models. I had some serviced, if I was going to dive them, but I did try most before I had serviced and after. You can save money buying this way though most of the ones I bought were older models and were not in current production. They all worked, one or two freeflowed and a few needed adjustment. I would recommended the servicing if you are planning on keeping them.

Debraw
09-03-2007, 17:26
Ahhh nevermind, I think I may be way off base here.

awap
09-03-2007, 17:27
I've sold regs on ebay (and through ads before ebay) and even bought a used reg once. Even so, a regulator is the one thing that I would not buy used at this point of my life. I just don't trust people to maintain equipment as well as I do and even with a good service tech in the fold, I don't want to find out after I bought it that the first stage is in bad shape.

Think about just what "in bad shape" means. Yes, you could get a reg that may be very expensive to put back into service due to unseen damage. That is where you need to look at seller ratings and you need to know what you are bidding on. So it is a mostly a $$$ risk. And that is why the price needs to be real good. About the only thing that could make it dangerous is overtorqueing of connections. Even something as simple as a port plg could have been overtorqued which may still allow it to seal but with a weakend connection that could fail in a fairly serious manner later. That is one thing that a good tech should closely inspect on any reg that he is not familiar with. It is a managable risk.

awap
09-03-2007, 17:35
Ahhh nevermind, I think I may be way off base here.

Old instincts (before the edit). This place really is different. If helping customers is more important that selling to them, it will pay off in the long run.

BSea
09-03-2007, 17:35
http://cgi.ebay.com/Oceanic-DELTA-4-FDX-10-DVT-Scuba-Regulator_W0QQitemZ120157266989QQihZ002QQcategoryZ 16056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oceanic-GT3-CDX5-Scuba-Regulator-New-in-Box_W0QQitemZ260154839134QQihZ016QQcategoryZ16056Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

im looking at the GT 3 what do you all think
My opinion on anything from e-bay, is that you should be able to buy it for about half retail if it's used. But this reg is shown as new, so I might be inclined to go a little higher.

Having said that, you also have to take into account that you'll have to buy service kits for it each year. If you bought it from ST you don't. If you think you'll get it serviced each year for 5 years, you'll probably be at a break even with what this will probably sell for. But then you'd have a warranty from ST if you bought from them, and free parts for life.

If it was a reg that you didn't get free parts, I might be inclined to go for it, but it just doesn't make long term sense to get some savings today, and pay down the road. Maybe pay alot down the road.

awap
09-03-2007, 17:43
Dolphin Dive center is an authorized Oceanic dealer. Ask if the warrenty comes with it.

chewyjr15
09-03-2007, 17:55
ok will do if the reg is new and in the box it doesnt need to be servised does it?

awap
09-03-2007, 18:04
ok will do if the reg is new and in the box it doesnt need to be servised does it?

It should be ready to dive. But, because that is a dive shop, you might as well ask him to verify it is ready before he ships.

Xspect
09-03-2007, 18:27
I dont know if I would take a chance to dive with a reg that I didnt know 100% that it was new.

awap
09-03-2007, 18:44
I dont know if I would take a chance to dive with a reg that I didnt know 100% that it was new.

OK. Just lie back on the couch and tell us what "chance" you think you would be taking with a used regulator. Do you feel the same about cars? Houses? BCD? Tanks?

ScubaToys Larry
09-03-2007, 18:49
Any deal you find out there... we can probably do better. You were looking at several different packages, and in the end, our package price was much cheaper than if you buy all these different components even at a cheap ebay price, by the time you pay all the different shippings, get them assembled, tested, etc, then what warranty issues might you have...

In all honesty, I really think just going with a full package will be cheaper for you.... but it's your call!

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 19:45
if u can get that reg for 150 bux...thats a hell of a deal, but if larry says he can do better... well (just go look in the "thanks" section of the forums)

chewyjr15
09-03-2007, 20:23
alright larry i crack ill jsut end up spending it all at scubatoys

Zenagirl
09-04-2007, 11:29
Chewy, you'll be glad you "cracked" and went with ST....they'll take care of you from start to finish and you'll never be alone....and at great prices. When Larry says they can do better, believe it! :D

Manny-R
09-04-2007, 13:44
the best thing is that you also get lifetime parts for service, and you pay like 49 bux or so, and they have fast turn-around times.