PDA

View Full Version : splits v.paddles

jacewindu
07-12-2007, 21:53
always been a fan of paddles, but i don't really mind either...
however, i am more of a fan of full foot than bootie fins

frankc420
07-14-2007, 11:07
That's for the link! I've been wondering what peoples opinions were on differences of splits, you pretty much made up my mind on my next purchase.

the gooch
07-14-2007, 14:35
I love my paddles as well but have my eye on a pair of full foot Apollo Bios.

Queen
07-14-2007, 14:43
I've had four surgeries on my right knee, I find splits put much less strain on the knee than my old paddles.

mmakay
07-14-2007, 19:40
Read this (http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Fins200401.shtml) if you want to be better informed about fins.

texdiveguy
07-14-2007, 20:02
Paddle fins all the way!!!!

medic001918
07-14-2007, 20:42
I started with a set of Tusa Xpert split fins, but someone let me try a pair of scubapro jet's and I bought a set the next day and haven't put my split fins back on. Actually, one of my friends has them so he can buy them from me. The paddle fins are just so much stronger and move more water. Add that to the fact that if you're good, you can fin backwards (and no, I'm not that good). But it's possible.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-15-2007, 01:30
splits...tusa zooms r the best

llv21
07-16-2007, 22:46
Absolutely love my paddle fins... have Quattro Excel and they are perfect for me.

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:58
I like my paddle fins, but to be honest there's a big difference in brands. My Akona fins don't work my legs as much as the Jets do, but the Jets after you get used to them seem to propel me much faster than the Akona's could dream of doing.

somewhereinla
07-17-2007, 02:28
I have both, but since I bought the Appolo's, split fins is all I use. They di require less effort, and less effort translate in more air and longer dive. I dive in south cal. do many beach dive against very powerful surf and my appolo are great.

przeor
07-17-2007, 04:03
love my jets (had biofins) for back-kicking and helicoptering while taking pictures. Plus I need something powerful/stiff for moving my doubles!

Judestudio
07-17-2007, 07:19
Paddle.....Volo Power!

Ajuva
07-17-2007, 15:58
Splits for Snorkelling Oceanic V 6 Full foot and Open V Drives for SCUBA

Venio
07-17-2007, 16:03
I love my Bio-Fins!

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 18:04
Old Power Planas paddles for warm water and Avanti Quattros for my dry suit. Splits weren't really around when I quit diving back in 1996. I'm curious about them, but the old school in me screams paddles.

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 18:12
I started with paddle fins, then tried Tusa zooms; ended up buying the Bio Fins. One of the bestequipment decisionsI made (with help from Larry).

Judestudio
07-20-2007, 18:17
I started with paddle fins, then tried Tusa zooms; ended up buying the Bio Fins. One of the bestequipment decisionsI made (with help from Larry).
<DIV>How did you find the Bio Fins in currents?</DIV>

DiverBry
07-26-2007, 22:58
I'm a big fan of the ScubaPro JetFins... a little old-school, but once you've tried them, you may decide that there's nothing better.

The sizing on them is really odd, though... best to try them on at the shop while wearing your boots.

ScubyDoo
07-31-2007, 23:02
I started off with Mares Quattros 6 years ago. I thought the world of them. They were very good paddle fins. That said, during my divemaster training, notably the 800 yd. snorkel swim, I was able to compare them head to head (at least on the surface). With my Quattro paddle fins, I struggled to 19:01 finish in the 800 yd. swim. A week later I switched to my Atomic split fins, and cruised to a 15:04 finish. The split fins provide greater foward propulsion while at the same time decreasing resistance in my kick cycle. The clock proved it.

I have yet to try the jet type fins, but Im guessing they are among the best out there. They reduce drag on the kick cycle by funneling water (resistance) thru the jet opening. This serves to equalize the foward propulsion with the energy needed on the downstroke. I'd love to try a pair out....

Splitlip
03-21-2010, 09:37
I started off with Mares Quattros 6 years ago. I thought the world of them. They were very good paddle fins. That said, during my divemaster training, notably the 800 yd. snorkel swim, I was able to compare them head to head (at least on the surface). With my Quattro paddle fins, I struggled to 19:01 finish in the 800 yd. swim. A week later I switched to my Atomic split fins, and cruised to a 15:04 finish. The split fins provide greater foward propulsion while at the same time decreasing resistance in my kick cycle. The clock proved it.

I have yet to try the jet type fins, but Im guessing they are among the best out there. They reduce drag on the kick cycle by funneling water (resistance) thru the jet opening. This serves to equalize the foward propulsion with the energy needed on the downstroke. I'd love to try a pair out....

Have you tried the 800 with Jets yet?

DevilDiver
03-21-2010, 09:42
:smilie40:........... :smiley36:

Aquatrax
03-21-2010, 17:31

Tim, are you testing your new time machine?:smiley2:

Splitlip
03-21-2010, 17:38

Tim, are you testing your new time machine?:smiley2:
BBWWHHHAAAA..!!!

yes:)

Jack Hammer
03-21-2010, 17:43
I was gonna guess you were trying to hit a new gift card level...:smiley36:

Splitlip
03-21-2010, 18:03
No, the max is GMS where you get to do the "Supermarket Sweep" at at ST.
Turns out, I had to pay my flight and room, but I still hit a home run. They limit what you can grab in the way of computers and regs, but I still came out way ahead. I Ebayed enough gear that I turned a profit and likely will not need to buy anything for a while.

(hint...hit the SS hardware, plates and wings)

bigman241
03-24-2010, 13:17
I bought split and love them. I had no issues with my knee or being out of shape. Though my legs are strong from carrying my weight around.

frogman911
03-29-2010, 15:41
I found Jet fins to be the best so far. Split fins and a couple other fancy fins didn't provide the strength needed to push me forward. Especially when I was carrying a pair of steel 120's on my back.

Jack Hammer
03-29-2010, 17:27
A lot of divers told me I "couldn't" use my splits with my doubles because the splits couldn't provide enough oomph, it's also funny to me that most those divers had never used splits. I then really irritated them by simply diving with them using my splits with doubles and moving along without issue (did the same thing when they told me you "can't" use splits in a silty environment without kicking up silt).

Where I found the splits to be lacking was in the amount of control, feedback, and instant oomph they have versus a traditional fin. I also wasn't able to make quick and subtle turns or easily do alternate kicks with splits. I also found it easier to not silt with traditional fins because I could kick so many different ways with them. I primarily dive doubles and overall I prefer the traditional fins by far for the diving I generally do but I wouldn't rule out using splits if I felt they were better suited for a particular dive.

reactive
03-29-2010, 17:57
I wouldn't rule out using splits if I felt they were better suited for a particular dive.

I have a pair of Atomic splits. I like'em okay, but sometimes I wish I had more control. I bought my splits when I got certified, as they were suggested by the instructor. He told me if I can bare to part with the $200, they'd be worth it.
Now, since its not very practical to do helicopter and reverse frog kicks with split fins (or maybe I'm just doing it wrong), I've been finding myself wanting a pair of paddle fins. I considered the jet fins, but they're a little on the pricey side. I've been considering these: Scuba Fins reviews and discounts, Tusa (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LiberatorFins) but havent been able to pull the trigger.
Ideally, I'd like to use my split fins for dives that have a current, or require a long surface swim, but use the paddle fins when I use my camera for macro life, so I have more control and can avoid having to touch things to back up.
Perhaps I can just get a muck stick: Tio Muck Stick - Fiberglass [tio.ms.fg] - $23.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros (http://www.reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1754)

TwistedSister209
04-26-2010, 17:46

Thanks, Scuby!! I've got my 800 m DM swim tomorrow and wondered split or paddle. I don't have the highest rated paddle fins, and wanted an easier swim with my sore knees. :smiley20:

Noob
04-27-2010, 08:03
My girlfriend has bad ankles and knees. The Dive shop that is giving her the OW class let her try paddles, splits, and manta rays. The paddles hurt her knees and ankles, the mantas did alot better but wore her out quick. Then she tried the Tusa Z3's and loved them. She didnt have a single problem with her ankles or knees. So those are the ones she bought.

I also like the splits over the paddles. Some reason the paddles I've tried hurt my knees and ankles. I bought a pair of Atomics on closeout and absolutely love them.

TwistedSister209
04-29-2010, 19:02
:smiley20:I did my 800 m swim in 15:39! I only got a 3, but I was thrilled that I finished under 19:00!
Thanks, Scuby and Noob, for your help. :smiley31:
Passed all my timed skills for DM. Now just have the equipment exchange and mapping at Lake Travis next weekend. :smiley36:

bigman241
05-02-2010, 16:22
I am out of shape, and have a bad knee. I love my split fins and would not give them up for nothing. I had no cramping or pain when diving in florida

boates
05-02-2010, 20:52
Personally, I don't like splits. But, to each their own.

Splits are proven to stir up more silt in smaller spaces,,,,,,,,

josh7284
05-07-2010, 07:53
I've only owned one pair of fins an they are aeris split fins so I can't exactly give a very informed opinion on them. I do however love the way they kick with not too much effort needed

Splitlip
05-07-2010, 19:47
Personally, I don't like splits. But, to each their own.

Splits are proven to stir up more silt in smaller spaces,,,,,,,,

Actually, with a conventional flutter kick, paddles will stir up more bottom. No doubt.

With paddles however, there is the option for effective alternate kicks to avoid silting.

maverick
05-08-2010, 01:52
Force Fins-- no pain no strain

boates
05-08-2010, 17:09
LOVE my force fins!

Mtrewyn
05-09-2010, 09:05
I used USD blades for years, and did most of the kicks that are being talked about here. I really liked mine, well they got really old and my wife's cat had used them for a scratching post, and it was just time to upgrade.

I went to Atomic splits, one that is what the shop sold, and since I was working on my "DiveCon" cert. I had to buy what they sold.

At first I hated them, I complained the whole time I "had" to use them, after a while I noticed that my kicking was still the same.... So I started to "think" about it and really "feel" my fins as I used them, and after two or three dives, I would not change them back for anything.

I have used them in strong currents, on shore dives with "surge" and several other conditions that are discussed here as not a good place for "splits" and have not had any problems.

I think some people might be trying to use them the same as the "paddle" fins and they don't like them, I may not know what I'm talking about but If you use "splits" as "paddle" fins, you won't like them, they "feel" funny, but if you use them as "splits" they work really well. But if you learned with "paddles" and you don't want to "re-learn" you kicks, you won't like them, but I'm lazy and like to relax in the water so I'm all about less work