PDA

View Full Version : Tech Diving

Mtrewyn
09-03-2007, 18:19
Are there any good info spots for info about tech diving? I think I will take classes soon but I really want to know a little more about what I'm getting into.

ianr33
09-03-2007, 18:24
If your profile is accurate (<25 dives) I would suggest getting a LOT more dives in before even thinking about "tech" diving.

Why do you want to do that type of diving?

If you do go down that route be prepared to spend LOTS of cash

www.thedecostop.com is a good place to read and learn

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 18:25
You can start here. http://www.divetekadventures.com/Home2.htm and you can check this out http://www.gue.com/
There are others but this will give you a good idea.

diversteve
09-03-2007, 18:26
oops, Ian beat me to it..might try theDiveMatrix (http://www.divematrix.com/forums.php) also, they have sort of a tech/DIR slant.

Mtrewyn
09-03-2007, 18:40
I know I need lots, and lots , more dives, that is one reason that i'm looking for info and shopping for high quality gear, i don't want to have to rebuy gear, I'd rather spend a little more now, than replace later.
Every thing just refers to "Tech diving" never giving any more explanation.

Thank you for the links!! I'll check them out later.

diversteve
09-03-2007, 18:44
Spend a little time on Scubaboard (http://www.scubaboard.com) also, Tech, BP/W, DIR, GUE, Hogarthian etc. is endlessly discussed there.

NitroWill
09-03-2007, 18:47
Every thing just refers to "Tech diving" never giving any more explanation.

It's because "tech" diving can refer to many different types of diving - its a category of diving if you will - just as there is various "recreation" diving

somewhereinla
09-03-2007, 19:17
Check the NAUI website as well.

LCF
09-03-2007, 20:16
The Deco Stop (www.thedecostop.com) is a bulletin board aimed specifically for technical divers. That includes people doing deep decompression diving, wreck penetration diving, and cave diving. They're all different communities of divers, with somewhat different concerns and techniques, and use somewhat different equipment at times.

If you are thinking about technical diving, you should have a specific goal in mind: For example, if you live where there are a lot of wrecks you would like to dive that lie in depths requiring staged decompression, then you have a specific goal. Just thinking about "tech diving" for fun is not a good way to approach the idea.

Anybody contemplating doing technical dives should spend significant time getting lots of varied dive experience and polishing their basic skills. If you are seriously interested in going this direction, GUE's Fundamentals class is a good place to start. You can take it in a single tank, as long as you have a basic tech setup (backplate and wing, long hose, bungied backup, non-split fins) and it will give you an idea of where the bar is set for tech diving classes.

ianr33
09-03-2007, 22:25
i'm looking for info and shopping for high quality gear, i don't want to have to rebuy gear, I'd rather spend a little more now, than replace later.

This is what I would suggest for gear purchases:

Get a BP and a wing made for single tanks.
Get good quality,DIN regs. (I use Apeks, ATX 50 and 40 seconds,DS4 first stage)
Get a 7 foot hose and bungee your backup around your neck
If you get a tank then get either an Al 80 (DIN) or a large steel tank .The Al tank will work later for a stage,the steel could be half of a pair of doubles.
Get Scubapro Jetfins with Springstraps.
Get a good quality backup light. Something like an LED Photon Torpedo should be bright enough for a primary in a lot of recreational diving.
Get a simple wrist mounted computer.Preferably with gauge mode (although you can always bend it on tech dives at which point it will automatically go into gauge mode !) Do not get an air integrated, hoseless,all singing all dancing computer.

The above gear will work fine for recreational diving and you can use all of it (except the single wing) for diving 300 foot deep caves in the future.

To get started in "tech" all you would need would be a doubles wing,a set of double tanks (maybe using one of your existing tanks) another first stage reg,and a bottom timer.

And deco training,and trimix,and cave and a scooter and a drysuit and............

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 22:49
if you want to get gear that is use-able later on, look into a BP/w, DIN regs, and if you want to go the DIR way, long hose, bungied reg around the neck and so on. be prepared to spent TONS of cash... doubles will run you about a grand + regs (steel tanks 250-300 each, bands150-180, valve etc.. add to about a grand, and 2 regs will add to about 800-1000+)

and with 0-24 dives saying "i will take classes soon", well unless you're gonna log 100 dives "soon" i would suggest you wait till at least that.
i am planing on taking other classes... but i gave my self time (im OW, and want to do AOW next year... i log about 15 dives a month, and by next summer should be at a least 165-200 dives) thats 9-10 months from now.

ianr33
09-03-2007, 23:09
and if you want to go the DIR way, long hose, bungied reg around the neck and so on. be prepared to spent TONS of cash...

Just to be picky: long hose and bungie is not exclusive to DIR, pretty much standard no matter what agency.Why? It just works.

I do agree about needing tons of cash!

texdiveguy
09-03-2007, 23:29
i'm looking for info and shopping for high quality gear, i don't want to have to rebuy gear, I'd rather spend a little more now, than replace later.

This is what I would suggest for gear purchases:

Get a BP and a wing made for single tanks.
Get good quality,DIN regs. (I use Apeks, ATX 50 and 40 seconds,DS4 first stage)
Get a 7 foot hose and bungee your backup around your neck
If you get a tank then get either an Al 80 (DIN) or a large steel tank .The Al tank will work later for a stage,the steel could be half of a pair of doubles.
Get Scubapro Jetfins with Springstraps.
Get a good quality backup light. Something like an LED Photon Torpedo should be bright enough for a primary in a lot of recreational diving.
Get a simple wrist mounted computer.Preferably with gauge mode (although you can always bend it on tech dives at which point it will automatically go into gauge mode !) Do not get an air integrated, hoseless,all singing all dancing computer.

The above gear will work fine for recreational diving and you can use all of it (except the single wing) for diving 300 foot deep caves in the future.

To get started in "tech" all you would need would be a doubles wing,a set of double tanks (maybe using one of your existing tanks) another first stage reg,and a bottom timer.

And deco training,and trimix,and cave and a scooter and a drysuit and............

And make sure you get everything in BLACK!

ianr33
09-04-2007, 09:05
And make sure you get everything in BLACK!

Yeah Yeah Yeah !

Mtrewyn
09-04-2007, 10:02
good help rest assured it is a long ways off, right now I'm just gathering info, I love to learn and you can't learn without asking questions

texdiveguy
09-04-2007, 10:09
I love to learn and you can't learn without asking questions

Ditto!

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 15:17
good help rest assured it is a long ways off, right now I'm just gathering info, I love to learn and you can't learn without asking questions

No worries. Some good advice in this thread. Pretty much the only thing you can do right now is dive dive dive, and buy gear that will serve you well both now, while you are still starting out and learning, and later, when your technical classes will have specific gear requirements. That way you don't have to buy an entirely different set of gear when you get ready for the technical training.

Feel free to ask if you have any further specific questions. :)