PDA

View Full Version : Shark Attack

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 18:39
A 12-year-old Orlando girl became Volusia County’s 13th shark bite victim of the year Monday.Eyewitnesses told Channel 9 the shark bit her while she swam in the ocean off Daytona Beach.Beachgoers said they could see the circular teeth marks on the young girls arm.Eyewitness, Lane Irvin said the girls arm was bleeding, “I saw the little girl in the water. She was surfing and she came running out holding her arm, screaming.”The girl and her family were staying in Daytona Beach for the Labor Day weekend and had just checked out of their hotel Monday.Her parents decided to spend a few more hours at the beach.She was swimming in waste deep water when the shark came out of nowhere.“She had a bunch of baitfish jump in the air and she felt something nip her in the arm,” said Scott Petersohn with Volusia County Beach Patrol.There have been 13 bites in Volusia County so far this year and while most are minor, some swimmers aren’t so lucky. A surfer near Ponce Inlet had his hand nearly bitten off by a shark at the end of August. Still, the beach patrol said shark bites are rare, “You have a much greater chance of getting hurt crossing A1A without a light than getting bit by a shark.”Beach patrol didn’t release the victim’s name but said fortunately the bite was minor.
Copyright 2007 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Kidder
09-03-2007, 19:09
It was probably a mistake on the sharks part. I bet it wasn't a bullshark. If it had been it would have been a lot worse.

Osprey
09-03-2007, 19:18
Thankfully it was just a bite, makes me wonder what other conditions the water was in though.

wkowalski
09-03-2007, 19:18
The 2006 shark attack statistics are interesting. Seems if you are a surfer or spearfishing you may run into a shark, looks like SCUBA diver are safe :) http://www.sharkattackfile.com/ (http://www.sharkattackfile.com/)

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 19:36
shark was obviously just munching on some baitfish, and her arm got in the mix.
does'nt seem like nothing major, just a bite and go away deal.
hope she's not traumatized.

greyzen
09-03-2007, 20:18
yeah if she was mid-baitfish they can hardley blame the shark.

But this is clearly an example of how vicious and evil sharks are and how they should be boiled in oil while given a hard glare.

(if you can't tell, the second part was sarcasm)

cudachaser
09-03-2007, 20:21
Ya know...Valousia County FL has the highest incidences of shark attack in Florida, followed by Brevard County, my home! Most of our population are swimmers and surfers. Diver % is way lower then South Florida Counties

Splitlip
09-03-2007, 20:35
But this is clearly an example of how vicious and evil sharks are and how they should be boiled in oil while given a hard glare.

Hopefully the City fathers will post a reward and encourage people to hunt the beast down and kill it. Clearly that shark (as do all the other carnivors) needs to be taught a leson.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 20:43
yeah a bull shark would of done alot more than just nibble the arm.

Krakenn
09-04-2007, 04:41
The only times I have had close encounters of the scary kind with the brown overcoat brigade is when spearfishing.

Kraks

cudachaser
09-04-2007, 08:04
Years ago I was surfing at Playlinda, just south of Daytona. A huge Tiger shark chased me in. Saw the fin twice on my paddle in , 2nd time he was right along side of me. When I got to where I could stand, I warned some yuppy guy with swim goggles that a shark was chasing me in...he said in a very condescending way "You probably JUST saw a dolphin"...Well about then, the shark swam between us...perfect tiger strips, around 8 ft long and nearly 3ft across...The "AH" nearly walked on the water to get out of there and never said another word to me!

Osprey
09-04-2007, 09:21
Ok, supposing the situation was different and it was a dolphin, wouldn't they still rather be safe and come inland until it was confirmed than wait and see if it bit them??

cudachaser
09-04-2007, 10:40
The guy was just a total "AH"

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 10:50
Served him right....you were just be nice .....yes...he was an AH!

gtjason2000
09-04-2007, 11:04
you should have waited until the shark switched to chasing him, then warned him from the safety of shore.

You don't have to out swim a shark just out swim the guy next to you.

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 11:06
It goes to show that you are just a visiter in their home. If you do not respect their house or understand the enviroment you are placing yourself at risk.
Sharks are animals, animals have to eat. It is a fact sharks do not "eat" humans but if you put yourself on the buffet line you take the chance of getting tasted.
Surfers, Spearfisherman and snorklers are putting themself into a hunting zone. Most likley the viz was bad and the shark was testing to see if it came across a meal. If it liked what it found the unfortunate girl would not have made it......

Public education about sharks and thier envionment is the answer. Not hunting down an animal for acting to way it has for millions of years.

I find hard to support the attitude of entitlement of mankind as a reason to hunt a creature that was here long before us and most likley will be after if we haven't hunted them down out of fear or for soup..........

diverdad
09-04-2007, 17:52
It goes to show that you are just a visiter in their home. If you do not respect their house or understand the enviroment you are placing yourself at risk.
Sharks are animals, animals have to eat. It is a fact sharks do not "eat" humans but if you put yourself on the buffet line you take the chance of getting tasted.
Surfers, Spearfisherman and snorklers are putting themself into a hunting zone. Most likley the viz was bad and the shark was testing to see if it came across a meal. If it liked what it found the unfortunate girl would not have made it......

Public education about sharks and thier envionment is the answer. Not hunting down an animal for acting to way it has for millions of years.

I find hard to support the attitude of entitlement of mankind as a reason to hunt a creature that was here long before us and most likley will be after if we haven't hunted them down out of fear or for soup..........

amen!! how would we like it if sharks came out of the ocean the hunt down and kill a bunch of us because someone killed one shark because they thought it was a meal.