PDA

View Full Version : Tapatalk for mobile access?

CompuDude
02-03-2010, 16:25
Any chance of supporting something like Tapatalk (http://www.tapatalk.com) for easier mobile browsing/posting from the smartphones? It's no-cost from the board's side, and fairly easy to add from what I've read.

Please? :smiley31:

ScubaToys Larry
02-03-2010, 18:18
That's a Tommy call.... I forward it to him and see what he says.... I can see where you need that... you can't post enough without it eh? :smiley36::smilie39:

CompuDude
02-03-2010, 18:49
I quiver, just thinking of all the valuable seconds I could be saving. LOL

TommyB
02-04-2010, 02:25
Any chance of supporting something like Tapatalk (http://www.tapatalk.com) for easier mobile browsing/posting from the smartphones? It's no-cost from the board's side, and fairly easy to add from what I've read.

Not sure it's needed here.
Tapatalk is a great concept, but the members would have to purchase the app (its not free).
Also, it does not have vB's full support.

VB, just needs to make a mobile skin.

DarkCoffee
02-04-2010, 08:28
I'm all for, at least, a mobile skin for ST!
ST is pretty much unreadable on my BB without it!

CompuDude
02-04-2010, 15:55

Tapatalk is a great concept, but the members would have to purchase the app (its not free).

For the iPhone, the read-only version is free. The paid version (a whopping $3) is worth every penny!

For Android, it's currently free.

ScubaBoard, DecoStop, DiveMatrix, and DIR Explorers have all already made access available via Tapatalk, and more are coming, I'm sure. It's incredibly convenient. If possible, I'm sure there are many here who would appreciate it.

Scuba Pete
02-04-2010, 16:09
I just downloaded the free version to see what it was all about and in my opinion it is nice. I dont have to be on the internet at work to check posts. 1 more way to outsmart the man, man.

comet24
02-04-2010, 16:18
I like it. Downloaded the free version to try on TDS. Works well but wish it had the option to list all new posts.

CompuDude
02-04-2010, 16:33
I like it. Downloaded the free version to try on TDS. Works well but wish it had the option to list all new posts.

It does. You have to be logged in, however, for it to know what constitutes "new". Just like the web version. If you're not logged in, you don't get a new posts option.

comet24
02-04-2010, 17:49

It does. You have to be logged in, however, for it to know what constitutes "new". Just like the web version. If you're not logged in, you don't get a new posts option.

I actually knew that not sure why I didn't think about. I just played with it for a minute or two after downloading it.

fisheater
02-06-2010, 21:05
Another vote for adding this capability.

TommyD
02-09-2010, 10:31
Heh heh You forwarded it to the wrong Tommy. I'm TommyD, I think you wanted TommyB

CompuDude
02-10-2010, 11:33

So, just curious, is this the "final call" or is it still under consideration?

TommyB
02-15-2010, 08:14
So, just curious, is this the "final call" or is it still under consideration?

No, nothing is ever "final" :)
Forums need to be upgraded and some other stuff before new mods/additions
are added

FishFood
03-01-2010, 12:20
Tapatalk beta is now out for the Blackberry. Sure will make posting at ScubaBoard easier... :11poke:

fisheater
05-14-2011, 17:47
ScubaBoard, too, is a vBulletin board and its Tapatalk implementation works just fine.

Pretty please?

ReefHound
05-15-2011, 19:38
Well I'm an admin of the CHUM forums (http://www.chumclub.org/forums) and after reading this thread just now, it took me all of 20 minutes to download the forum plugin, upload the files (all contained in one new folder in the forums folder), make the one line mod to the default template, and register the forum with their network. But it only took 20 minutes because I went slowly, downloading the MySQL database first and carefully reading all the instructions.

It appears that the free version for iphone is no more but the app seems well worth the $2.99 fee. In any event, it is entirely up to the user and it has no effect on anyone not interested in it.

tar8701
05-18-2011, 11:19
tapatalk is great and worth the 2 buck easily.

nitro91
12-15-2011, 06:48
so im guessing this forum is not available on tapatalk?

Korvette
12-15-2011, 08:12
I think we should continue to ask. Its a great way to access when you dont have a computer handy. Come'on ST get with the program!!!

tnronin
01-15-2012, 20:58
Another vote for tapatalk.

below sea level
03-14-2012, 18:32
It's been a while so I'll bump the thread. I downloaded tapatalk for iPad last week to see what the fuss is about and love it. What I don't love, is that ST is the only forum I read regularly that doesn't allow me to use it.

ReefHound
03-14-2012, 19:25
And the sad thing is doesn't really take any "support". It took me - with no prior Vbulletin experience - all of twenty minutes to upload the files and make one edit. And upgrading Vb a few months ago meant simply uploading new Tapatalk files. That's the extent of my "maintenance" required for the past year.

bent
03-27-2012, 10:04
I have many forums added to my TapaTalk, and I am actually surprised that Scubatoys has not already added this easy upgrade. Every other forum I visit has this feature including 5 that are scuba related. The PC market has stagnated and now the big growth is in the mobile market, so I think it would be in the website's best interest to cater to the mobile users. As far as costs go, many of us have already purchased the program and have been using it for years. The fee to purchase TapaTalk is very nominal especially given how useful the app is. In a very short time you can upgrade the site so the scuba crowd has another tempting option that will most likely create more web traffic for your site.

Take care,
Bent

plot
06-05-2013, 07:05
Can this be considered now?

For me tapatalk is more than just a way to easily track and browse a forum, but it's a way to manage all the forums I visit. Not having scubatoys on there makes it difficult to track and keep up to date with. I really think you'd see an increase in traffic since it's pretty much standard these days.

PyrateDiver
06-05-2013, 12:13
me too, this is the only forum I visit that is not on Tapatalk. I have another diving forum, a smoked meat forum. gopro forum and airbrush forum on there

bent
06-05-2013, 13:50
I had forgotten all about this site until I got an email notification about activity on this thread. I only really visit sites on my Tapatalk, so I will never get a high post count on Scuba Toys. I have 14 forums (everything from automobiles to cave diving) on Tapatalk that I can easily keep track of. I guess I have enough forums on there to keep me busy.