PDA

View Full Version : Unique Names

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 19:03
My name is Taffey, so naturally I have a interest in odd and unique names. Do any of you have a unique name or have kids or family members with unique names?

WV Diver
09-03-2007, 19:06
I know two brothers with strange names. One is lightening and the other is thunderbolt. It's true.

scubafreak
09-03-2007, 19:08
My eldest son's name is Tayga. Long history behind it.

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 19:09
I know two brothers with strange names. One is lightening and the other is thunderbolt. It's true.

I have cousins named Lightening, Thunder, Rayne and Storm form Alabama.

thesmoothdome
09-03-2007, 19:10
As a teacher, I see unique names quite often...sometimes sadly so. Probably my favorite example of "What the hell was your mother thinking?" was a girl named LaTrina.

Nothing like naming your child after a toilet.

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 19:12
My eldest son's name is Tayga. Long history behind it.

That is pretty, I really like that.

Queen
09-03-2007, 19:13
As a teacher, I see unique names quite often...sometimes sadly so. Probably my favorite example of "What the hell was your mother thinking?" was a girl named LaTrina.

I have a college kid working for me whose name is Qwanchaize, I imagine him as a little kid sitting in kindergarten struggling to spell his name. What were his parents thinking??

Osprey
09-03-2007, 19:14
My name is as common as grass on a prairie and sand in a desert (ashley.. eh)

In high school however, I knew people Named Star, Dove, Coral, Raven, and some boys I knew were named Vinesse, and I think we even had a Courtney who was a big football jock. Hmm

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 19:16

I have a college kid working for me whose name is Qwanchaize, I imagine him as a little kid sitting in kindergarten struggling to spell his name. What were his parents thinking??

My grandson's name is Mauricio Alejandro...can't wait till he starts to school.

greyzen
09-03-2007, 20:16
I have two cousins with funny names :)

Cessna and Sierra...

yeah, like the planes

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 20:28
on VH1 they went over celeberty child names...
PILOT INSPECTOR... how good is that!!!

im just a plain manuel... manny for short.

scubafreak
09-03-2007, 20:34
Well Frank Zappa named his daughter Moon Unit

thesmoothdome
09-03-2007, 20:35
Well Frank Zappa named his daughter Moon Unit

and his son Dwezil

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 20:36
My name is Taffey, so naturally I have a interest in odd and unique names. Do any of you have a unique name or have kids or family members with unique names?

is your family welsh? theres a joke that everyone in wales is called taffy jones

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 20:40
moxie crime-fighter is the name of Pen Jillette's daughter, i think its the guy from pen and teller.

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 20:40
No not that I am aware of. There is a lot of Native American decent in my family. I do know that my name is Welsh.

Liv7301
09-03-2007, 21:12
As a teacher I have heard some real pips, but this one is my topper...

I was with a friend of mine in Brooklyn and a lady yelled out to her daughter down on the sidewalk. The poor girl's name was "Starqueesha."

This one was witnessed by my aunt...

She was walking through a Macys when a very pregnant woman walked up to the perfume counter and pointed to a name. She asked the clerk, "How do you say that?" The clerk replied "Oscar De Laurente." The woman responded, "Good, that's what I'm gonna name my baby."

Wow.

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 21:15
oh my goodness...you are kidding.

sidneydiver
09-03-2007, 22:52
I'm Welsh and I get called Taffy from time to time. My real name is Nicola which is extremely common at home but less so in the US. It is frequently pronounced wrongly or I get called Nicole instead.
There are some great Welsh names out there though; Guto, Meinir, Eira, Heulwyn and my personal favourite, Gwawr!

paintsnow
09-03-2007, 23:56
my name is spelled Filip
yes
with an F
but its pronounced like normal
although people think its french and say it as such

my last name is even better
try pronouncing dziadek

it goes something like jaadeck

greyzen
09-04-2007, 01:17
on VH1 they went over celeberty child names...
PILOT INSPECTOR... how good is that!!!

im just a plain manuel... manny for short.

Pilot Kommander is the name of Jason Lee's kid (Earl - My Name is Earl, Also multiple roles in Kevin Smith movies)

greyzen
09-04-2007, 01:18
I'm Welsh and I get called Taffy from time to time. My real name is Nicola which is extremely common at home but less so in the US. It is frequently pronounced wrongly or I get called Nicole instead.
There are some great Welsh names out there though; Guto, Meinir, Eira, Heulwyn and my personal favourite, Gwawr!

I love your name

Suther2136
09-04-2007, 05:17
My name is as common as grass on a prairie and sand in a desert (ashley.. eh)

In high school however, I knew people Named Star, Dove, Coral, Raven, and some boys I knew were named Vinesse, and I think we even had a Courtney who was a big football jock. Hmm

"Ashley.. eh" is not as common as you might think.

My wife has a cousin named Torbin and my son has a friend named starbuck.

Foo2
09-04-2007, 09:24
My aunt went to school with a girl named ****onya....think about it...

greyzen
09-04-2007, 09:37
there is a very nice lady who works in a super-large computer corporation here in Austin who is named 'Snow White'.
She hasn't had it changed, that is just what her parents named her.

Same company, over in one of the oversea's affiliates I had to call and speak with a man named: Fuk 'Yu (or somesuch spelling)

Foo2
09-04-2007, 09:41
Same company, over in one of the oversea's affiliates I had to call and speak with a man named: Fuk 'Yu (or somesuch spelling)

You might enjoy this...

http://re3.mm-a3.yimg.com/image/2773652725 (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dfu%2Bking%2Bchinese%2Bfood%26 ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dybr_sbc%26x%3Dwrt&w=250&h=263&imgurl=www.ilovebacon.com%2F010302%2Ffukingchinese .jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cyclingforums.com%2Ft213.htm l&size=21kB&name=fukingchinese.jpg&p=fu+king+chinese+food&type=jpeg&no=1&tt=5&oid=cdd693d7fae7b752&ei=UTF-8)

dallasdivergirl
09-04-2007, 10:04
I went to school with Prairie Willow Vanderbosh & her sister Dawn Aroura.

My dad's family all does double names. I go by my first and middle with them. My personal favorite is Homer Don.

NitroWill
09-04-2007, 10:24
There was a "Joe King" and a "Lisa Carr" in my high school class :smiley36:

No Misses
09-04-2007, 10:28
My aunt's name is Rose. This was fine, until she married. Now her name is Rose Pink. Her neighbors to the right are Mr & Mrs Brown. The ones on the left are Mr & Mrs Green. It must be like living in a crayon box ;-)

turtle_guy
09-04-2007, 10:30
my name isn't strange until you put it together but i am William Williams and yesterday i saw a resteraunt named phuket vietnamese food

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 10:47
I have a nephew named gunner....

yankeefan21
09-04-2007, 11:10
my name isn't strange until you put it together but i am William Williams and yesterday i saw a resteraunt named phuket vietnamese food
Only funny if you mispronounce the ph as an F instead of a hard P. :smiley2:

I was dealing with a woman from IBM named Pryncess and my ex had a student in her class named Yourhighness.

greyzen
09-04-2007, 11:17
hehe guy I knew in Dallas was named William Blake.

If you don't get it, click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blake

scuba Widow
09-04-2007, 21:11
I went to school with a girl named Candy Cane when she got married she married a man named Barr, which made her Candy Barr.

gtjason2000
09-05-2007, 08:32
gotta go with seven and heard a story that a new zealand couple or maybe australian were not allowed to name their son 4real

yankeefan21
09-05-2007, 10:21
gotta go with seven and heard a story that a new zealand couple or maybe australian were not allowed to name their son 4real
New Zealand couple and it's a true story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070808/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_newzealand_name). Now they are trying to name their son Superman. How much do they hate this child?

There was also a Brittish couple that wanted to name their kid *

Suther2136
09-05-2007, 11:47
People should really have to pass a test to reproduce.

My dad knew a guy who went by E. Brook Trout! make you wonder what the E stood for...

greyzen
09-05-2007, 12:11
there was a japanese couple who wanted to name their child @

timsteam
09-05-2007, 19:54
My 2 favorite ones are Kermit Whitehead and Luma Mae Jump
I swear they are real names

scuba Widow
09-06-2007, 10:54
This is a true story of what happened to my co work the other day...her daughter started preschool and the teacher got on to her for not spelling her name correctly. The little girl's name is Alivia not Olivia. The girl tried to tell the teacher that and she reprimanded her for correcting her, so my co-worker was called to the school and told that in order for her child to attend class there they would have to change the spelling of her name, because it was causing problems in the classroom. My co worker took her daughter straight out of the school.

Foo2
09-06-2007, 11:01
This is a true story of what happened to my co work the other day...her daughter started preschool and the teacher got on to her for not spelling her name correctly. The little girl's name is Alivia not Olivia. The girl tried to tell the teacher that and she reprimanded her for correcting her, so my co-worker was called to the school and told that in order for her child to attend class there they would have to change the spelling of her name, because it was causing problems in the classroom. My co worker took her daughter straight out of the school.

That's rediculous! I can't believe it...Is that even legal?

ScubaJenn81
09-06-2007, 12:53
Braton and Oakley, my sister in laws' kids

Vegas
09-06-2007, 14:23
Years ago I had a friend named Trixie Bliss. I believe she's married now, but I am not sure what replaced Bliss.

My mother had some friends with the last name "Salter". What did they name their youngest daughter? Yes, you already know.... "Pepper Ann"

scuba Widow
09-06-2007, 14:31

That's rediculous! I can't believe it...Is that even legal?

I don't think the law can get involved, because it is a privately ran and funded school.

scuba Widow
09-06-2007, 14:34
Years ago I had a friend named Trixie Bliss. I believe she's married now, but I am not sure what replaced Bliss.

My mother had some friends with the last name "Salter". What did they name their youngest daughter? Yes, you already know.... "Pepper Ann"

I have always said there should be rules for naming children or at least a handbook...I keep telling my parents the only things named Taffey are candy, cats and dogs, and ME!!!!!

On a serious note, parents really should think about their children's names and the spelling used...no one takes a 40 year old woman or man seriously with a name like mine.

ScubaGir1
09-06-2007, 14:45
I went to school with a girl named Candy Cane when she got married she married a man named Barr, which made her Candy Barr.
LOL, I know I shouldn't laugh...but wow...:smiley36:

My name is Becky, not Rebecca. :) And you have no idea how many people have told me that my REAL name is Rebecca. I can't understand why people think they always know better.....

techgnostic
09-06-2007, 16:10
One of my friends down here in New Orleans has the perfect evil villain name:
Midian Von Thorne

He's a tour guide, with a penchant for dressing like Tom Baker's Dr. Who.

thor
09-06-2007, 19:09
I have come across people with the following names. All of which are actual people with these actual names

Candy Korn
Vayacondios Schulman
Margarita Drinker
Dr. Doctor
Dick Handler
...to name a few.

Also came across a family whose children all had names of cars. Porsche, Lexis and Mercedes

I'm not sure if this is an urban legend but I heard several stories about chldren named limongelo and orongelo. Lemon Jello and Orange Jello

justlooking
09-06-2007, 22:28
How about a fellow with the given name of Shorty, and family name Dick

Black-Gorrilla
09-06-2007, 22:56
my name is Danilo... only met another 3 or 4 with this one.

Ramgib
10-25-2007, 22:56
A guy where I work has a last name of Manlove. His first name is Richard. And yes. He goes by Dick.

divnhank
10-25-2007, 23:01
I think I was 10 before I knew my name wasn't damn-it.

divnhank
10-25-2007, 23:02
True story - my daughter had a friend in junior high whose name was Anita Dick.

cyclone
10-26-2007, 00:27
I heard about the story about the Uncle who attended his brothers wife delivery. He's a little retarded. So after the delivery of the twins, he told he's brother that he already named the twins. :smiley29: the brother psyche and ask he's brother what names he gave for the twins. The brother replied, " I named the girl Denise. The brother said, " that was good, how about the boy. The brother replied, " I named him Denephew. Bwa hahahah:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

chace_nicole
10-26-2007, 01:59
A guy where I work has a last name of Manlove. His first name is Richard. And yes. He goes by Dick.

Oh that is horrible:smiley36:

Chace, my first name is pretty unique, I have never met another woman named Chace.

I once worked with a neonatologist (baby Dr.) named Dr. Gottapotti...we always joked that he should have been a urologist!

kingfish
10-26-2007, 04:26
A teacher at my schools name was Mr Burnbum.
Not sure what his first name was.

Jas.

kenmendes
10-26-2007, 08:57
I have a friend (that is a guy) and his name is ALEXIS. I thought that was kind of wierd because i always thought that was a girls name.

Ohmdiver
10-26-2007, 09:26
There is a Jewish comedian on Bob and Tom who has a Chinese wife, and when they had a son they wanted the name to reflect his haritage. They named him....

Cha - Ching

Sorry, I have an unique name myself, I would never have a Jr. I don't like some of the names people are chosing for thier kids. I grew up moving alot. My name was an easy target, and cuased me more than one 1st day detension. (I know I didn't help much)

torrey
10-26-2007, 11:15
How about a fellow with the given name of Shorty, and family name Dick

Over in Athens TX, I remember as a kid always seeing billboards for Richard Head...of course it didn't hit me until I got a little older and learned alternate names. I'm sure he had it tough in school.

torrey
10-26-2007, 11:20
I have a friend (that is a guy) and his name is ALEXIS. I thought that was kind of wierd because i always thought that was a girls name.

Yeah, I'm a guy named Torrey. I've only met a handful of guys with the same name...one even with the same spelling. Luckily my mom didn't go with Tori or I wouldn't hear the end of it.

chace_nicole
10-26-2007, 12:07
Bless her heart, I went to school with a girl named Chau Ho Bich, last name pronounced just like b*tch, I felt for her at high school graduation when they read her full name :smiley5:

JahJahwarrior
10-26-2007, 12:40
I plan on giving my kid themiddle name "Dr." Hopefully, he can get a job without having to go to med school....:)

On a more serious note, my dad is Gorden Lane Gibby, my mom is Nancy Elaine Gibby. I've always thought it funny how close their middle names are. My dad, with the name of "Gordon" swore he'd give his kids "normal" names, so I'm Michael Paul Gibby--MPG.......go figure. And I usually go by the last name, except every once in a while someone thinks it's "Giddy." What's even worse is people I've known for a while, like, two years, who one day suddenly ask me "Hey Gibby, what's your last name?" Then I have to explain that Gibby is my last name..... And I've only met one other person who used "Gibby" as a name, on a message forum. I asked if it was his name, and he told me it was his "spiritual name." ? Ok, fine by me!

I have a friend whose mother is Kristy. Their last name is Christie. His mother is Kristy Christie. Pronounced the same way.

And I absolutely refuse to marry anyone named "Libby." Never ever ever!!

DolphinDreams
10-26-2007, 15:28
I do accounts payable, and at my job right at this moment, I have an office refund to send to someone named Norky Humphries.
I see a lot of names that I think "man, if that was my name I'd change it!"
mine isn't real common either, Claudine, but it's not bad.

redneckdiver52
10-26-2007, 15:33
I know a guy who named his eldest son Matrix.

BuzzF117
10-26-2007, 19:09
Used to work with guys named Rod Growcock (really his name) and Richard Putts and they would page him Dick Putts! I always figured Rod could probably fight really well since im sure there were times growing up poeple made fun of him.