PDA

View Full Version : Dive computer

lbussell
02-05-2010, 16:45
I would like to get opinions on good quality, but not too expensive, dive computer. My LDS sells the Suunto line. Somebody mentioned to me that bottom timers are a good alternative for some divers.

DMWiz
02-05-2010, 18:15
Suunto makes really good computers and they cover a wide range of prices. From entry level to extremely pricey. You can get a great bargain if you search for the previous generation models. The Gekko is a great entry level nitrox model and it's extremely tough and reliable.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Quero
02-05-2010, 18:15
If your'e looking at Suuntos, get the puck-shaped Gekko. It's fairly cheap (for a dive computer), does Nitrox, is simple to use and easy to read. I use Gekkos as my rental comps.

sterlinghe92
02-05-2010, 19:27
Oceanic pro plus 2

snagel
02-06-2010, 09:13
You can get some great deals on 2nd hand computers. Keep an eye on the forum and check with your LDS. Many LDS's have swap meets occassionally. I wouldn't really be too concerned with models. Figure out what is important to you. Air intregrated vs. non-integrated - AI will be more expensive, provides more options on gas usage. Nitrox capable - If down the road you will be diving Nitrox, probably should invest in a computer now that will do that. PC Downloadable - If this is what you want to do it will add to the price. Watch out with this because some models require you to purchase the cable separately (like the Wisdoms). This adds up to $100 to the price. I'm not sure how old you are, but for me being able to see the dang thing has become in issue in recent years. Had to upgrde my computer simply because I couldn't see the smaller print. This will seem odd, but my first computer (Genesis React Pro) didn't log the date. Wasn't a huge thing as long as you logged your dives in your logbook frequently. If you didn't, you would get confused on the dives because it didn't tell you the date.

I guess first question is do you want something cheap and simple and plan to upgrade later or do you want to invest in something now that will do everything you may want to do later.

Snagel

lbussell
02-06-2010, 11:14
I know that my LDS uses the Gekko for their rentals. It looks really good for a basic one. I do wish it were back lit though.

Bigg_Budd
02-06-2010, 11:34
Oceanic VT Pro or VT3. Kick ass AI wrist computers.

Atomic_Diver315
02-06-2010, 15:25
the Dive Rite Nitek Trio

Quero
02-06-2010, 19:08
I see that none of us has addressed part of your original query, so just an added note....

I wouldn't recommend a bottom timer as a stand-alone substitute for a dive computer. For recreational divers they are useful as backups when paired with dive tables, though, in the event of a computer failure. By the time you invest in a good bottom timer, you may as well just buy a dive computer.

mcr0112
02-13-2010, 18:38
Unlees you are as old as I am you wouldn't know about bottom timers. we used them in the early seventies when no one even knew what a computer was. Get a dive computer that does it all. I bought a GEO from ST and it works well.

Bazza
02-13-2010, 18:58
I worked on a dive boat and we used Suuntos about the mid range ones. Worked fine. I'm also in the market for a computer and was thinking about the D-9 but they are expensive.

navyhmc
02-13-2010, 19:25
Unlees you are as old as I am you wouldn't know about bottom timers. we used them in the early seventies when no one even knew what a computer was. Get a dive computer that does it all. I bought a GEO from ST and it works well.

You had a BT in the 70's? I had one called a timex watch. :smiley36: But to be honest, my first bottom timer was the analog Princeton Tec. I still have it and it still works.:smiley20:

I also have a Geo (from ST too!) and love it. :smiley20:

bubbletrubble
02-14-2010, 00:56
I like the nitrox-capable Suunto Gekko. It's simple, legible, and easy to operate. The battery is user-replaceable and lasts a long time. One feature it lacks is a gauge mode (bottom timer), which can be useful for more advanced tech diving. If you purchase the Suunto download cable, you can download your Gekko dive profile to a PC/Mac. It's an unadvertised functionality.

The Gekko is a great value, though. Have fun with your gear purchase...

greylion
02-14-2010, 08:34
I like Aeris/Oceanic computers and whatever I bought would at least have to be Nitrox capable, so with that in mind.

Aeris XR 1 NX Wrist Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Aeris (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AerisXR-1NXWristDiveComputer)

With a forum 10% discount it would be under $300.

bostondivegirl
02-14-2010, 08:51
I bought a geo from ST and I love it. It took a little getting used to for the Nitrox. But once I figured it out it was really easy.

cbope
02-14-2010, 12:15
Another vote for the Gekko as a good, inexpensive nitrox compatible computer. Used one as a rental a few years ago in Thailand before I bought my D6.

ssmdive
02-15-2010, 11:33
NiTek Duo Dive Computer by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express (http://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/nitekduo.shtml)

289 and does Nitrox with two gasses.

1. 21%-50%
2. 21% to 99%

Easy to use and a great price. I use one as a backup for my $1200+ VR3.

yeroks
02-19-2010, 11:28
I dive an Oceanic VT Pro and love it. I switched to wearing it on a retractor rather than on my wrist since it is a puck size computer.

Tassie Diver
02-19-2010, 14:21
I use a Zeagle In2Ition 3. More than happy with it, and not particularly expensive.