PDA

View Full Version : 3rd annual DDCN dive boat is reserved

bottomdweller
02-07-2010, 10:50
I talked with 417diver today, and decided we should go ahead & reserve the boat. (didn't want someone to swoop in & take it out from under us)We got it for Saturday the 17th & we can use it from either 9:00am - 5:00pm or 10:00am - 6:00pm. The total cost without fuel is $315.65. I guess we need to vote on the time? Let me know your thoughts.
Don't know about you, but I am tired of waiting already.

Dark Wolf
02-07-2010, 11:41
Great!! 9 am until 5pm sounds good to me!

DW

Vlane
02-07-2010, 12:39
Either time slots would be fine for me. Any word on how many divers the boat will hold? Right now I'm set on going but I may have a buddy that's interested in going as well.

bottomdweller
02-07-2010, 13:01
The site says it holds 24 people, 24 people with dive gear not sure?
We reserved it online, I will call them tomorrow & ask them how many people with dive gear it will hold. I think we should have plenty of room.

417Diver
02-07-2010, 14:38
Yes 24 with dive gear easily. The boat is huge and there is plenty of storage room under the bench seats for tanks and gear.

Like I said I will cover the fuel and the damage deposit.

Vlane
02-07-2010, 15:31
How many tanks are ya'll planning on bringing on the boat? I have 2 myself but if we're gonna be out there awhile I might consider renting another tank or two.

bottomdweller
02-07-2010, 15:45
Beach Bum & I are plannig on bringing at least 3 tanks each on the boat.

417Diver
02-07-2010, 15:55
How many tanks are ya'll planning on bringing on the boat? I have 2 myself but if we're gonna be out there awhile I might consider renting another tank or two.
I have 6 if someone needs an extra :smiley36:

Vlane
02-07-2010, 17:08
I have 6 if someone needs an extra :smiley36:
I'll take you up on that offer, I'll pay for the fill of course.

jamiejo
02-07-2010, 20:49
(Deep Voice) I think alot would depend on the dive sites planned and profiles. I don't know beaver lake dive sites at all. What gas does the local shop have on hand?

417Diver
02-07-2010, 22:31
Only air as far as I know.
Going out of Lost bridge Marina. Site B is the Rock Wall which vis is @ or better than 20' Its basically a wall with some crevises and also some statues that were put there. 50' is as far as I went since there was nothing past that worth seeing. Site C 40' Max I believe? is the Old foundation, school bus, metal horse and something else that was small. Right by Site C 60' max I beleive? is the Helicopter, 2 planes, jet skis, boat, motorcycle and something else but I forget. There are guide ropes linking everything together so its all easy to find. There were alot of fish there when I went.
http://www.lostbridgemarina.com/maps/divemap3.gif

Vlane
02-08-2010, 00:02
(Deep Voice) I think alot would depend on the dive sites planned and profiles. I don't know beaver lake dive sites at all. What gas does the local shop have on hand?
I'm not sure what the Lost Bridge shop has but C&J has trimix I believe.

plot
02-08-2010, 21:50
lost bridge marina has air only, c&j's has nitrox i beleive, maybe trimix. you'd need to verify that... once on the boat though we can't exactly stop at c&j's... its a long ways off, so you're stuck with marina air.

where'd you get that map 417?

my quick synopsis of the dive sites:
Site A and B are the bluffs and the dam site, not sure which is which though. the bluffs go down to 130' or more. We can shore dive that though. there's some statues, at random locations on the bluffs and a sail boat around 100', from the sail boat you can follow a line to an alligator at 130' feet apparently (I’ve never actually seen the gator). Someone also told me a houseboat was sunk somewhere around the bluffs recently... this is definitely something work checking into. I don't recommend boat diving this area since, as i said before, it's easily divable from the shore.

Site C is the foundations. When the lake is up, the foundations are about 15', when the lake is down, the foundations can be out of the water. There's a buoy to tie off to there though, from there you can go down to about 40' and see a school bus. More importantly, there's a wall about 50' away from the foundations, there's an awesome wall dive which drops down to 200-300'. I typically go down to around 100' and then enjoy the views coming back up. The difference between this wall and going down a random wall at oronogo is you run into huge tree's along this one... very cool to see. Because it goes from 15' down to a wall, the bottom around the foundations is generally rocky... usually good vis here. When you go off towards the school bus you get into a million little green moss ball things, dunno what they are, but they're fun to play around in and silt things out around the bus. The bus is just the backend of a bus, all the insides removed, easy swim through. You can also break open clam shell things you find and attract a large amount of perchana at the foundations.

Close to site C in a cove near c&j's (yet... not accessible from c&j's, gotta be on a boat. go figure.) is 'copter cove'. you tie off to a tree or the shore and drop down to some stacked boats typically, and then there's a circuit connected by cave line. It includes a bunch of different boats, a little traffic helicopter, a moped, a jetski, and some other stuff in about 20-30' of water, then the circuit heads to deeper water where you see a big plane at around 60', you might get to 70' if you stick your gauges in the mud. The big plane sits in a bunch of knocked down tree's, you follow this line at 60' and come across some chain saws in the tree's and then head back towards shallower water again where you pass a small piper airplane, eventually you make it back to the beginning of the circuit which is some tied off boats. Most of the stuff is in 30' of water near the helicopter, the airplane at 60' though is a helluva swim out there and back so be prepared for some long distances of seeing nothing but line if you want to see that. There's nothing but silt at this site, so if you get near the bottom it'll silt out fast. Vis varies because of this.

Site D is Starkeys Island (which is a very small island). On one side of the island it's all sandy bottom and there's a bunch of statues and a cigarette machine in about 30-40' of water. On the backside is another awesome wall dive which drops off to 200' or more according to the maps, but I’ve only been to about 130'. It's absolutely full of tree's and the drop offs are amazing, 50' or more straight down. All of the other walls and bluffs step down about 20', hit a ledge, then drop another 20' or so much like the road at oronogo. I've done a ton of awesome night dives here and then cooked out on the island afterwards. I also did most of my OW skills sitting on the cigarette machine. I don't recommend we head over to site D though because we'd burn alot of time driving and copter cove/foundations are generally all around better dives.

I have no idea what site E is. Another wall I'm guessing... no need to go exploring that far out though.

417Diver
02-08-2010, 22:53
Got it off the marinas site. I never would have thought that wall went 130'+ When I was at 50 it looks to be flattening off but it must have been just another shelve.

Anyways I think beaver is a great lake to dive if you havn't been to any of the sites before.:smiley20:

plot
02-09-2010, 08:23
The west side of the bluffs where you find most of the statues flattens off for a ways before it drops again, not worth going deep in that area. The east side of the bluffs you'll find a line down to a sailboat which sits in some small trees in around 100' feet of water. that's as far as i've gone, but apparently there's another line off the sailboat that goes to an alligator statue at around 130'...

the main channel by the dam goes down to 200'+, some maps say up to 300'... the thing sits at just above 1100' elevation in the mountains. beaver is the first corps lake on the white river and empties into table rock so the vis is usually better than what you find at tablerock.

Vlane
02-09-2010, 19:21
The sailboat was closer to 80' last time I was there but with all the snow and rain here lately it may be deeper now.

Sites C and D sound like good dives though. I've only dove other places besides the bluffs or the other side of the ramp near the bluffs a few times so I'm looking forward to some new scenery.

Dark Wolf
02-09-2010, 20:53
The only area of Beaver (lake) that I am familiar with is the bluffs. I am not going to be of much help on this part. Lol.

DW

bottomdweller
02-09-2010, 21:01
I'm with Vlane, the sailboat is usually about 80-85 ft.
A couple years ago it was at 100 ft or more with all the rain.

plot
02-09-2010, 21:05

like i said, the foundations can either be 15' or more deep or out of the water, so the lake fluctuates quite a bit. :smiley2:

bottomdweller
02-09-2010, 21:15

like i said, the foundations can either be 15' or more deep or out of the water, so the lake fluctuates quite a bit. :smiley2:

Yeah, I dived the foundations at 23ft once, The bouy was barely out of the water.

plot
02-09-2010, 22:37
we had a dog on the boat once that jumped off and took a crap on the foundations, it was a tiny dry little island.

417Diver
02-10-2010, 12:04
:smiley36:
Wow thats great to hear

neogeo
02-10-2010, 14:47
I say we hit the foundations first sounds like a fun dive and the deepest....

417Diver
02-10-2010, 16:36
:smiley36: More lake last or possibly not at all..

Actually the bus there is kinda interesting.

plot
02-10-2010, 20:51
will probably goto the foundations first, its on the way to copter cove. hit copter cove second, since it doesn't get very deep it'll fit better with the dive profiles. 3rd site will be a tossup if we can make it to one.

bottomdweller
02-10-2010, 21:40
will probably goto the foundations first, its on the way to copter cove. hit copter cove second, since it doesn't get very deep it'll fit better with the dive profiles. 3rd site will be a tossup if we can make it to one.

This was my thinking also.

417Diver
02-11-2010, 07:34
I thought go the deepest 1st then shallower.... Unless the plan is to just take one group then after the 2-3 stops drop them off at the dock and then take the new group.. Which would be a long wait on the dock.

plot
02-11-2010, 08:00
It's been my experience it takes about 20-30 minutes to load up, 30 minutes to putter a large barge like that out to the site, 30 minutes to get everyone in the water, an hour or so of people under water, 30 minutes to get everyone loaded back up, 2 hour SI (during which time we could go back to the marina and get more air/eat lunch), rinse repeat for the afternoon dive and by the time you get done with that it's been a full day.

417Diver
02-11-2010, 10:00
Last time it took 10 mins tops to get to the site with that boat.

So if we do have over 20 people are we going to get a list of people who are diving the morning and then get the afternoon list so we dont have those show up early and not be stuck on the dock till noon?

plot
02-11-2010, 12:20
I've never done it before but I'm sure there's a place closer than the marina to pick people up at... possibly the dam site.

neogeo
02-11-2010, 13:57
I've never done it before but I'm sure there's a place closer than the marina to pick people up at... possibly the dam site.
I agree its a long drive from where most are staying to the marina no sense in everyone driving that distance

Dark Wolf
02-11-2010, 15:18
I will kick in extra for gas, as I am sure most would, to do the pickup at the bluffs (time permitting). This way, the pot luck or whatever we decide to do for lunch that day can go on with people doing their thing. Minimal driving to and from the Marina or the Dam site. And maximum dive time for those who are waiting for the second trip.

DW

navyhmc
02-11-2010, 17:04
I'm just wishing I could go, but dangnabbit, I already made commitiments. You;ld think I would have learned after that marriage thing?

plot
02-11-2010, 19:24
The bluffs and the dam site are closer to the two dive sites than the marina.

Neo brings up a good point too, the marina is a looooooooong drive from c&j's and the bluffs, you basically have to take lake roads all the way back out to the the main road, then lake roads all the way back into the marina... so a mile or two by boat turns into 24 miles of narrow windy mountain roads. Might want just a few of us to go there then pick up everyone else at the bluffs (I can find the bluffs, will just be a matter of figuring out which part of them people can park at/carry gear from) or the dam site (have no clue where this is actually at).

These are things we really need to look into :D

Wkndbum
02-11-2010, 19:37
There is a boat dock/ramp just South of the dam by the campground entrance. It would be a lot easier to load/unload gear there than @ the bluffs. Plenty of parking there (still have to pay the COE fee)

plot
02-11-2010, 20:15
where exactly?

http://www.brainwashed.us/upload/files/images/beaverlakedam.JPG

neogeo
02-11-2010, 20:26
I do think meeting at a dock near the dam site would be best...
the dock i think is right before it goes to the island there

bottomdweller
02-11-2010, 21:21
There is a boat dock/ramp just South of the dam by the campground entrance. It would be a lot easier to load/unload gear there than @ the bluffs. Plenty of parking there (still have to pay the COE fee)

Is that Indian Creek campground? (I think I have the name right Not sure on that though) My LDS puts his boat in at a campground with a big parking lot, bathrooms & sites for RV's. You have to pay to COE and it is very close to the foundations & copter cove. Not sure if there is any shore diving there though? I have only been to Beaver with my LDS & have dived four spots none from shore. I don't know where the Dam, Bluffs, CandJ's, or the Marina are. I just know how to get to that one camp ground. I have mapquested (is that a word) CandJ's & the Marina.
So, I am open to any ideas on the subject, I don't know where the best place to park cars, loaded with tanks & where people can shore dive while waiting for the boat is?:smilie40:

plot
02-11-2010, 22:20
Indian Creek is basically at the bluffs. It's about 6 miles from where I think he's talking about at the dam, and the dam is less than 2 miles from c&j's.

I'm starting to get my bearings here... I've always dove on a boat out of lost bridge marina to the bluffs, foundations, copter cove, starkeys, etc. and I've always stayed at a cabin about a mile or two from the marina.

I'll try to make a map with the detailed points of interest for everyone to use as a reference.

plot
02-11-2010, 22:22
oh and before i forget to mention it:

BEAVER LAKE IS IN A DRY COUNTY SO BUY YOUR BOOZ AT THE STATE LINE BEFORE YOU CROSS INTO ARKANSAS!!!!

neogeo
02-12-2010, 02:23
oh and before i forget to mention it:

BEAVER LAKE IS IN A DRY COUNTY SO BUY YOUR BOOZ AT THE STATE LINE BEFORE YOU CROSS INTO ARKANSAS!!!!
Dude you coulda just pm'd me jeez

Wkndbum
02-12-2010, 04:55
I do think meeting at a dock near the dam site would be best...
the dock i think is right before it goes to the island there

Yes, if you look close @ Pilot's picture you can see the dock just before you get to the causeway to the island.

Shore diving is not allowed in the camping area but it's only a few minutes drive to the dam site park or the bluffs. Coe entry fees are required @ all the area's but a day sticker will allow you in any of them.

plot
02-12-2010, 07:17
when exactly do the camp sites/bluffs open up? will they still be gated off in april?

417Diver
02-12-2010, 08:56
Indian Creek is basically at the bluffs. It's about 6 miles from where I think he's talking about at the dam, and the dam is less than 2 miles from c&j's.

I'm starting to get my bearings here... I've always dove on a boat out of lost bridge marina to the bluffs, foundations, copter cove, starkeys, etc. and I've always stayed at a cabin about a mile or two from the marina.

I'll try to make a map with the detailed points of interest for everyone to use as a reference.

Here is the map again.
http://www.lostbridgemarina.com/maps/divemap3.gif
Bluffs being at B
Foundation/bus at C And south east of C is the copter/boats/jetski/motorcyle/planes

Those are the places I figured we would go since they are so close to each other.

bottomdweller
02-12-2010, 09:43
I found this website that says some of the campgrounds open April 1st & some others open on May 1st. Just not sure which campground we are looking for? The campgrond I was talking about (Indian Creek) says it opens May 1st.
Little Rock District - Beaver Lake (http://www.swl.usace.army.mil/parks/beaver/campgroundpages.htm)

Lineman Larry
02-12-2010, 10:19
One and all...
Looking at the map from 417Diver...
1. Lost Bridge Marina and Campground
2. Indian Creek Campground
3. Dam Site Campground ( picsture in post # 36 from Plot )
4. Starkey Campground
5. Lost Bridge South Campground

A. Wall near Indian Creek ( never dove due to boat traffic )
B. Bluffs ( Shore Diving and Picnic )
C. Reynolds Foundation and School Bus ( easy shallow site )
( Also a 200 ft drop off for the doubles folks 50 yards due East)
D. Starkey Island ( Another easy site with accompanying drop off )
E. ( Have never dove )

Helicopter Cove is East-Southeast of "C"
C&J Sports and Pointe West Motel is directly above this site.

417Diver
02-12-2010, 12:09
I found this website that says some of the campgrounds open April 1st & some others open on May 1st. Just not sure which campground we are looking for? The campgrond I was talking about (Indian Creek) says it opens May 1st.
Little Rock District - Beaver Lake (http://www.swl.usace.army.mil/parks/beaver/campgroundpages.htm)

Ya the indian creek campsite is not the one by the dam.

This is the site just north of the dam on the left I believe. The other one below to the left I dont know and it does not have gates so if it is not open we wont have to pay any parking fees if any at all.

Dam Site Lake

Description: Class A park with flush toilets, showers, trailer dump station, designated camping spaces, trash containers, and drinking water. Dam Site Lake’s campsites are non-reservable and are occupied on a first-come first-serve basis. The picnic shelter located at the cut-off wall approximately 1/4 mile from the campground is available for reservation year round.

Location: Dam Site Lake is located 9 miles west of Eureka Springs on U.S. Highway 62, then 3 miles south on paved access road State 187 to dam.

Facilities: 48 campsites with electricity. 1 picnic shelter.

Fees: Day use fee applies. Campsites with 30 amp electricity at $16 and campsites with 50 amp electricity at $17. 1 picnic shelter at $75 (note: In addition to the $75 shelter reservation fee, each vehicle is required to pay a $4 Area Use Fee).

Open: Fee season April 1 - October 31.

Wkndbum
02-13-2010, 06:03
when exactly do the camp sites/bluffs open up? will they still be gated off in april?

The dam site campground (#3 in the picture) has been open in April for the past 5 or so years. If the gate to the bluffs dive site are locked, Jim @ CJ's can arrange for it to be opened for divers (during the day). It has always been open in April when I've been there.

bottomdweller
02-13-2010, 14:27
beaver lake arkansas - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=beaver+lake+arkansas&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Beaver+Lake&ll=36.409264,-93.864784&spn=0.06134,0.109692&t=h&z=13)

Dark Wolf
02-13-2010, 17:24
The gates to the bluffs were open in February a couple years ago when Lineman Larry and I made the trip down for a day of diving.

DW

neogeo
02-14-2010, 15:36
at indian creek there is actually a decent dive site it where i took my open water class and the lds as sank a few boats and statues there depths are 40 ft

dmdoss
02-22-2010, 19:43
if you can live with beer you can buy it at c&j.