PDA

View Full Version : Hendreson Insta-Dry Boots

tc_rain
09-03-2007, 20:42
Earlier this year while in Cozumel, I could never get my boots to dry overnight. I realize the humidity played a huge part in this but putting on cold wet boots in the morning really sucks. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Henderson Insta-Dry boots. Are these really as good as advertised?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=InstaDryBoot

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 17:12
Yes.

I LOVE my InstaDry boots. Love the 3mm gloves, too.

Like the rest of the lineup, too, but not as much as the boots and gloves.

tc_rain
09-04-2007, 21:29
About how long does it take for the boots to dry, a couple hours or so?

RECDiver
09-04-2007, 21:32
I love my Insta-dry boots. I have had mine 15 months and have used them on three Caribbean trips and fresh water diving. The only problem I have had was the right one started separating at the sole, so I had to use some Aqua-seal to close it.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 21:37
There is nothing worse than going out for a dive the next day and putting on cold wet boots....have to give the insta-dry ones a try!

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 22:30
Totally depends on temps and humidity, as you may expect. Also assumes you can lay them upside down somewhere... "InstaDry" or not, if you have an inch of water trapped in your boots, there's going to be a wet spot for a while.

Outdoors, on a reasonably warm day, hung upside down to drain? I'd say they could be dry in under a half-hour, no problem. Possibly a bit faster in direct sunlight on a hot day.

Inside, I dunno... I always rest mine on the incline of my bathtub after rinsing them off (opening pointing down to aid drainage) and they're bone dry by morning, with the possible exception of a tiny wet spot along the edge (the part in contact with the tub itself, which is dried in an instant with a quick wipe of a towel).

On a cold wet day with rain, on a covered back patio, sitting upright, there will be a little puddle in the bottom come morning, since water won't really evaporate in that scenario. But the rest will be pretty dry.

You get the idea.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 22:32
Totally depends on temps and humidity, as you may expect. Also assumes you can lay them upside down somewhere... "InstaDry" or not, if you have an inch of water trapped in your boots, there's going to be a wet spot for a while.

Outdoors, on a reasonably warm day, upside down? I'd say they could be dry in under a half-hour, no problem. Possibly a smidge faster in the sun.

Inside, I dunno... I always rest mine on the incline of my bathtub after rinsing them off (opening pointing down to aid drainage) and they're bone dry by morning, with the possible exception of a tiny wet spot along the edge (the part in contact with the tub itself, which is dried in an instant with a quick wipe of a towel).

On a cold wet day with rain, on a back patio, sitting upright, there will be a little puddle in the bottom come morning, since water won't really evaporate in that scenario. But the rest will be pretty dry.

You get the idea.
Sounds good to me!!!!

tc_rain
09-05-2007, 07:34
I guess I see my next purchase.

Splitlip
09-05-2007, 20:26
One of the best purchases I have ever made.
(Thank you again compudude)
Although I cannot imagine getting into or out of a suit made of that material, let alone wearing one.

CompuDude
09-05-2007, 23:34
One of the best purchases I have ever made.
(Thank you again compudude)
Although I cannot imagine getting into or out of a suit made of that material, let alone wearing one.
Wearing one is great. No problems whatsoever, incredibly warm, and dries as fast as you'd think, given that you own the booties.

Getting into one isn't as bad as you'd think, either... once it molds to your form. (which it does, oddly enough... after about 10 dives it starts to mold to the curves of your body, fitting better than ever) Until then I'll admit it's more of a challenge than others are.

It's not as easy to get into as a more standard wetsuit, but again, you seldom have to put it on wet, and dry it's not that bad. My biggest beef is that the high tech coating the use outside to help it dry fast (inside it's just raw neoprene, nothing special, but it works... it is coated with anti-microbial stuff, however, further reducing any smell factor at all) wears poorly: It gets holes rubbed into it rather easily by straps and such... it's just nowhere near as durable as regular neoprene. And for the price, I expect it to last longer.

I'll happily wear mine until it dies, but once it goes, I'll be looking at other companies for a wetsuit.

I'm totally keeping the gloves and booties, however. ;-)

Aussie
09-05-2007, 23:49
I heard that they tear easy and not as robust as other suits. They retailed over here for $1000aud. Most expensive suit ever.

I missed out on the boots as they ran out of stock (selling them off cheap). Sick of my boots always damp and smelling like god knows what.

Aussie

THT98
10-28-2007, 13:42
Do the boots go on pretty easily? Do they appear to hold up? I had an insta dry suit and returned it because it kept falling apart (after two repairs and a new suit).

Thanks!

Splitlip
10-28-2007, 19:25
I like my boots. No, they don't go on as easily as as your typical boot. They feel like my old rubber suits (see my profile pic).
But just putting your feet in is no big deal. I am a fan.

bubble-head
10-28-2007, 20:06
Thanks for posting this. I've had my eye on them for a while. I don't imagine my current pair of boots are going to last a whole lot longer.

gibson1525
10-28-2007, 20:35
how comfortable are the boots to wear and walk around in? they sound like a great idea but i think i'd rather have wet boots than something that would give me blisters if i had to walk anywhere in them.

CompuDude
10-29-2007, 12:23
how comfortable are the boots to wear and walk around in? they sound like a great idea but i think i'd rather have wet boots than something that would give me blisters if i had to walk anywhere in them.

They are just fine for walking around in. No better or worse than any other wetsuit bootie with a hard sole.

If anything, I would think the slick rubber surface would be less likely to cause a blister than the nylon-coated neoprene... the nylon rubs a lot more.

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 18:27
a buddy has them, he loves them i wish i could afford them

tc_rain
11-20-2007, 18:46
Three months left before going back to Cozumel so I will have to order them before then

skippy11
11-20-2007, 21:00
hum, sounds like they would make a great addition to my gear....once I wear out my current pair. :-)