PDA

View Full Version : Isn't night diving spooky???

sfbluestar
02-08-2010, 14:55
I get freaked out just thinking about it...

Aren't you afraid some unknown monster might creep up and do something to you?

RogerAg
02-08-2010, 15:20
I get freaked out just thinking about it...

Aren't you afraid some unknown monster might creep up and do something to you?

NO! I love Night Diving.
Some of my best photos, I got Night Diving.
I Don't believe in "unknown Monster" that is unless you are thinking Sharks or Giant Squids.

mrmccoy
02-08-2010, 15:23
I can't wait to get in the water at night. People thought me and a buddy of mine were crazy.........boogie boarding at 10pm. It was a blast though!

Diver Kat
02-08-2010, 15:43
Isn't night diving spooky???
Spooky might not be the right word - scary sometimes, but I don't think spooky. Night dives in the local lake are not too much different that day dives at depth ... you need a light no matter what. Now my first night dive in Cozumel was pretty nerve-racking. The group got in and the current was not only ripping, but a reverse current. Then my primary blew. Luckily I carry a back-up, but it was not my most fun dive. The next time I did a night dive in Coz it was beautiful and amazing - everything I had hoped for. Have done a few in Bonaire and in the Keys as well. The great thing about night dives is it's a whole different world of fish life than what you see in the day. And what's really great is if you have the opportunity - once the dive is over - to just lean back, float and watch the stars.

fisheater
02-08-2010, 16:04
No worries about THAT!

Around here, there vis is such that any ocean moster worth the name would have no problem creeping up on me anytime of the day.

jet126
02-08-2010, 16:36
I've said this in another thread about night diving. The monsters are going to get you whether you can see them or not: you're in their element.

Personally, I'd rather not see them coming, so I love diving at night.

below sea level
02-08-2010, 17:08
It depends on your perspective. Night diving in the Bahamas is still nicer than day diving in the North East. More vis as well...

Rileybri
02-08-2010, 17:36
No I am confident when I go diving I have left my wife at home.............

din
02-08-2010, 17:52
I Don't believe in "unknown Monster" that is unless you are thinking Sharks or Giant Squids.

you need to watch more scifi original movies, then.

JCGoodwin
02-08-2010, 18:19
Greetings sfbluestar and I thought the same things before I went night diving and really found out the opposite. Not only was it different than my thoughts it was awesome. Now I actually find the dark comforting and the activity of the nocturnal animals very interesting. We have enjoyed some 1-2 hour dives watching fish and insects interact, bass hunting crawfish, or admiring the moon on the wrecks. Spooky has been replaced by stunning beauty.
Give it a chance and see what you think, you may be pleasantly suprised.
Safe diving to you and enjoy the journey.
JCGoodwin Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

boates
02-08-2010, 21:01
I love night dives. In fact here in N.S. your open water check out dives include a night dive just because of the nature of our climate.

Night diving isn't for everyone, and given the nature of your question, perhaps it's not for you. Research sea life, and behavior, then decide.

AfterDark
02-09-2010, 05:26
After Dark is when you get to see the ocean from a different perspective. Most of the life in the ocean is nocturnal. In places like RI where I dive, a good dive is 10' vis, you ain't goin' see the monster coming anyway. :smiley5: At night you can only see as far as your light so the illusion is of unlimited vis!:smiley20: Also all the colors washed out are restored. What looked like a dull dark bottom during the day becomes a garden of colors at night. IMO you haven't had a complete view of the ocean until you dive after dark. Of course you have to be comfortable to enjoy the experience. If you have access to a pool you could go in the pool at night and just hang out getting the sensation of being underwater in the dark without the monsters:smiley2: We're always afraid of the unknown. I went night diving after watching Jaws earlier during the day in the theater. It wasn't my first night dive. I'm not sure I'd have ever gotten into the water if I had watched Jaws before ever getting in there day or night! I'll admit to hearing a little of the music in my head!

Damselfish
02-09-2010, 08:45
The water can look more intimidating at night from the surface than it does once you're under. Once you're in, you'll probably discover thinking about it and letting your imagination go into overtime was way spookier than reality.

Dive Rong
02-09-2010, 12:41
For me... missing a night dive borders on sacrilege. - DRg

navyhmc
02-09-2010, 22:13
For me... missing a night dive borders on sacrilege. - DRg

That's no lie! I still haven't heard the end of missing a night dive 2 years ago.:smiley36:

bubbletrubble
02-10-2010, 00:44
More than half of my dives are done at night. As others have mentioned, a different set of creatures comes out at night. The octopus are out hunting. Mantis shrimp scurry about and dive into their burrows. Sheepcrab are foraging for a snack. More nudibranchs are crawling around. Definitely lots to see.

One of the best things about my local night dives is that there are a lot fewer divers out. This translates into fewer people spooking all of the marine critters. :D

In some ways, it's much easier to keep track of and communicate with your buddy at night. Passive communication (watching your buddy's light) is a great indicator of whether your buddy is doing OK...and the light can be seen from any viewing angle. A quick shake of my light across my buddy's beam path and I have his/her attention instantly. During day dives, I rely far more on hand signals and making eye contact with my buddy.

The only downside is that there seem to be more stingrays out in the shallows. More foot shuffling is required, but it's a small price to pay.

Once you become accustomed to night dives, you really should try a dawn dive. It's painful waking up so early, but pretty cool to start off doing a night dive and finish the dive just as the sun rises. There's a "shift change" going on underwater at that time, so it also makes for interesting critter-watching.

snagel
02-10-2010, 04:56
At first night dives can appear to be a little spooky, but they are awesome! So much more to see at night. Did a Dawn Dive a couple years ago....got in the water while it was still dark and met the day as the sun came up. It's great watching the reef wake up. One of my all time favorite dives.

Snagel

underh2o
02-11-2010, 23:01
Night dives are great. I dive black water up here on some good days have 10 in vis during the day. But at times in other places we have up to 12ft all depends. night dive all the fish are out crawfish are out really relaxing to see what is out at night. give it a try you wil love it

scubagirlj
02-12-2010, 18:37
i did a "rush hour"dive(dusk to dark) and really enjoyed it-night diving, not so much, although i did do the night dive specialty to try to develop an affinity for it-prefer to spend evenings relaxing at the bar with a refreshing beverage

boates
02-12-2010, 20:19
like I said, night diving isn't for everyone.

Myself, the limit is an overhang, took me 5 yrs to go under a dock! 15 yrs later, still not my favorite! Caves/caverns/boats........."Fa gettabout it"

To each their own, nothing wrong about that. If your uncomfortable with it, don't do it....period.

Later on, the day may come.

navyhmc
02-12-2010, 21:55
Night diving is one of my specialties...I do enjoy it though most of my night dives have been fresh water. Still a lot of fun. Snuck up on a good number of bass and pike on night dives.

chinacat46
02-13-2010, 13:39
I think just diving in general is spooky. Gives me the creeps that some monster might attack you. I think you should find a different activity like bowling which is less spooky. ;-)

Rileybri
02-13-2010, 14:55
I think just diving in general is spooky. Gives me the creeps that some monster might attack you. I think you should find a different activity like bowling which is less spooky. ;-)

Thats not diving, thats flashbacks from your "tour" days! :smiley2:

sterlinghe92
02-13-2010, 19:04
Night is the best! Best pictures! U see what ur light is shinging on much better and u can find ur buddy instatly just by looking for a faint shine! You can see lights for miles under water

navyhmc
02-13-2010, 19:11
Night is the best! Best pictures! U see what ur light is shinging on much better and u can find ur buddy instatly just by looking for a faint shine! You can see lights for miles under water

Just a guess: You don't night dive fresh water much? :smiley36:

sterlinghe92
02-13-2010, 20:05

Haha! Never have! Day diving in the lakes where I live is bad enough! U can only see the ground if ur face is touching it

yeroks
02-16-2010, 18:02
I haven't done a night dive since my advanced class. Loved it though and been dying to do another. Amazing how many more fish were out in CSSP (local lake for the non Texans reading this) at night.

navyhmc
02-16-2010, 18:39

Haha! Never have! Day diving in the lakes where I live is bad enough! U can only see the ground if ur face is touching it

Yeah low vis night diving is kind of like driving in fog with your high beams on. :smiley36:

navyhmc
02-16-2010, 18:40
I haven't done a night dive since my advanced class. Loved it though and been dying to do another. Amazing how many more fish were out in CSSP (local lake for the non Texans reading this) at night.

I didn't think that CSSP was open for night dives?

shagyluke
02-25-2010, 11:30
Went on a night dive here at Lake Mead. My wife and I are comming up from a dive at a MOD of 145'. I looked to my left and thought it was my wife and snapped my neck around again to see a 4' long Cat fish. My wife had already started her acent and was bearly above me. That was a little freaky to say the lest. The dive started out as an evening dive after work and ended up being a night dive. Fun time though.

:)

dkh6070
02-25-2010, 11:56
Went on a night dive here at Lake Mead. My wife and I are comming up from a dive at a MOD of 145'. I looked to my left and thought it was my wife and snapped my neck around again to see a 4' long Cat fish. My wife had already started her acent and was bearly above me. That was a little freaky to say the lest. The dive started out as an evening dive after work and ended up being a night dive. Fun time though.

:)

I did the same thing in Palm beach with a Giant Grouper. My wife was just below me and I thought it was her in my perifial vision. I drifted down in front of her then spun around to see her and it turned out to be a giant grouper and it started croaking at me when my light hit it about 2 feet from my face. This thing could have actually swallowed me if it wanted too. My wife was behind it watching and said my eyes where bigger than the mask lens when I realized it was a 6 ft grouper. First time I pee'd in my wetsuit. :smilie39:

Wet Willie
03-09-2010, 17:28
Was just in Mexico and did a twilight dive followed by a night dive. We came up from the twilight as the sun went down and the moon came up. Watching the sunset over the water, while floating on the surface was quite awesome.

We turned our lights off about 15 minutes into the dive and left them off for about 5 minutes or more. Amazing what you see. The phosporescence lights up all around you as you swim. You cant see that with your light on.

Looking up and seeing the moon and stars from the bottom...to cool to express in words.

Done quite a few night dives and for some reason never got that spooky feeling although they were all in the carribean or fresh water.

There are certain places that I would never consider diving at night. North Carolina is one of those places...I know what lies beneath those seas in the daylight...I'll pass on the night.

sterlinghe92
03-09-2010, 17:37
NO!!!!!!! its great! if you misplace your buddy just cover your light and you can see his glow from up to a mile away underwater! great photos too cause of the black back ground!!! its very cool

DivingScool Koh Chang
03-13-2010, 08:26
I love nightdiving, it is one of my favorite diving activities!!!
During one of our latest ND's we brought some special equipment along because we wanted to try something we had seen on a documentary somewhere.
And YEAH BABY it worked!!!! We discovered fluorescent coral on our local sites, which makes the night dives even more interesting!!! More trips are scheduled to map these corals and we will definitely offer this trip to our customers!!!
ND has always been one of my favorite dives but this takes it to a whole new level!

Greets

Wim

boates
03-13-2010, 16:10
DSChang, are you referring to UV night diving? :smiley20:

DivingScool Koh Chang
03-13-2010, 20:16
DSChang, are you referring to UV night diving? :smiley20:
You can call it that way, we used special filters to put on our torches and we used a visor to put over our masks!!! Pretty cool stuff ;-)

boates
03-14-2010, 08:32
Here it is, NightSea Home (http://nightsea.com/)

emtdiver
03-15-2010, 23:32
I was affraid of diving at night and very reserved until I did it. Last October 09 was my 1st night dive. It was great. Like JCGoodwin said you see things at night that you wouldn't see normally. There is a peace about it. We dove during a full moon & it made it even neater! Try going with a group. I find I relax more in greater numbers when i'm uncomfortable!

cam
03-16-2010, 11:20
To me, it's just like midnight walk on the beach with a flashlight except you're floating and there's a lot more cool stuff to see.

Plus, surfacing under a sky of stars with no land in sight is something you can't even do in the flat lands.

ScubaGuz
03-16-2010, 14:16
I find it actually just as relaxing if not more relaxing than day diving. The creatures at night are amazing!!

The first jump into the water of my first night dive was somewhat apprehensive, but now I look forward to the night dives.

Finding octo's at night is great. If you're slow and patient, many times the octopus will let you "pet" it!!!

Noob
03-16-2010, 15:13
I plan on doing some night dives this year. Its not going to be much different then our typical clarity. LOL

ScubaGuz
03-17-2010, 09:35
I plan on doing some night dives this year. Its not going to be much different then our typical clarity. LOL

It might be better!!!

REO
03-19-2010, 21:39
I see more fish at night up here near Seattle. If you turn your light off, you see bioluminescent life all around you. They light up when disturbed by fins, etc. We also see Harbor seals. They follow the light, hoping to grab any fish you illuminate. Night diving in Puget Sound is awesome!

Ron

cutter77
03-22-2010, 01:35
A big plus for night diving = fewer divers to spook the critters

PhD4JC
03-22-2010, 19:13
It was my 2nd night dive which prompted....

Just a breath

I will never be an astronaut, but I am an aquanaut. I can still don my life support system and explore a weightless world, enveloped by a potentially hostile environment, encountering alien life forms as the ultimate explorer.

I have found a place where my buoyancy is an asset. Where I can glide with the grace of a great white, soar with the serenity of a swordfish, drift with the dexterity of a damselfish.

I was awakened to this awareness on night dive off the coast of St. Kitts, West Indies. We waited aboard the boat, for the last remnants of daylight to fade. Once we were able to peer over the side into the darkness of the deep we knew it was time to depart the safety of our dry, air-rich environment. We had a pre-excursion briefing, geared up and giant strided into oblivion.

Our underwater spotlights, radiated like searchlights from space rovers in a futuristic movie. The only illumination to the dimness being what we brought with us. The shadows from the Talata wreck hovered like the abandoned hull of a deserted S.S. Enterprise. I was treated to a personal fireworks display of bioluminescent marine microbes, sparkling like swirling stars when agitated in the wake of my passing. Nocturnal crustaceans and other creatures crawled across the sea floor, oblivious to our presence. Basketstars unfurled their tendrils to trap their daily rations. Around me the landscape and its inhabitants flowed at the leisurely pace only possible in a density thicker than breathable air.

It was then that I beheld him. The largest, most majestic hawksbill turtle I have ever seen, seemingly larger than even Gamara himself. He seemed to hover in the vacuum of space, surrounded only by the planktonic life reflecting my dive light like celestial bodies light years away. It was in that moment, that I found bliss, and will ever reminisce the kiss of the abyss.

I will never be an astronaut, but I am an aquanaut, where deep space is only a dive trip away…

boates
03-25-2010, 13:41
Wow, beautiful, journey PH. :smiley20: Thanks