PDA

View Full Version : Gift Certificates

ScubaToys Larry
02-08-2010, 15:44
Hey Gang... You all know we've been doing the rewards for posting for some time, and wouldn't you know it, although we're trying to reward people for becoming part of a diving community, some wanted to simply try to take advantage of it and steal what they could. We had several people sign up under different names, just to run up 10 posts so they could order tiny items, and with the shipping, keep it below their 10 gift certificate.

Obviously, this was not the intent, and tracking down everyone who does this is more time consuming than what the 10 dollars is... I've banned a few, but I'm sure they'll surface with a new IP and a new name...

I didn't want to remove the Gift Certificate incentive for the honest folks, so it seemed the best way was to put in force a new policy that says you can only use the gift certificates for 10% of the purchase.

I spelled it out in the faq area, and here is a copy.

The other rule in using any gift certificates, is you cannot use gift certificates for any more than 10% of the purchase price. Unfortunately, we had had people signing up under different names and using 10 dollar gift certificates to buy items for 2 bucks plus shipping. Obviously, this was not the intent of the incentive.

Instead of dropping the gift certificate program, we realized that anyone who is actually purchasing items, and wanting to post on our forum to learn and communicate with others will not be offended by this change in policy. And those who were just trying to steal from us... actually, we're not that concerned if they don't like the change! :-)

So please post away, earn your gift certificates, and feel free to cash them in when you are looking to purchase items from us.

Thanks... Larry

Hope everyone understands why we had to take these steps.

Thanks for your support!

Larry

Vlane
02-08-2010, 16:03
There's always someone who is going to take advantage of something but I'm glad you guys were able to work something out that wouldn't hurt new forum members.

Foo2
02-08-2010, 16:05
Sorry people were taking advantage. Thanks for being an uber cool dive shop owner! ;-)

chilly willy
02-08-2010, 16:34
With the customer oriented service and killer pricing you already give I see no downside even if you quit giving the certificates. Kudos to Joe & Larry.:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

below sea level
02-08-2010, 17:06
It's pathetic that some people will try to take advantage of something like that.

The new rules certainly won't change my "slow and steady" posting habits.

din
02-08-2010, 17:44
"but honey, I had to buy more stuff! I could only use the incentive for 10% of the total, honest!" :D :D :D

fisheater
02-08-2010, 18:19
Some people . . . .

unclepooty
02-08-2010, 18:56
I would have paid for the information and people I've meet on this forum (well most of'em) I stumbled in here by chance, and became a founding member. I took advantage of the gift certificates, and still enjoy their fruit. I don't post that often, but can't tell you how many times I've learned or laughed in silence. Larry/Joe, thanks for the effort and commitment to customer service. BTW me and the boys on the ranch'll take care of any of those less than honest individuals.

bigman241
02-08-2010, 23:04
Fine we me. I was going to wait and use mine to buy a flag or some decals when I got done with my cert. But I guess I will have wade add them to my total. No worry about the 10% of the total. 3500 order.:smiley29:
Atleast you did not drop them. Thanks for that larry

nrembis
02-08-2010, 23:26
your always going to have folks trying to take advantage of others, sucks :(....I used my 10.00 GC pretty quickly and appreciated it, used it to get a wetsuit and some other stuff......I have been putting off asking for my 50.00 one till I needed a regulator and quit feeling bad for ST having to eat some unintentional CC charges......

I might have been able to swing 300 or so $$$ for a new reg of sorts, but doubtful now that I have to pick one 500.00 and up just to use GC :(

ScubaToys Larry
02-09-2010, 06:21
I might have been able to swing 300 or so $$$ for a new reg of sorts, but doubtful now that I have to pick one 500.00 and up just to use GC :(

Not a problem.. We'll allow you to use $30 of the gift certificate on a 300 purchase, and save the other 20 for a 200 purchase later.

din
02-09-2010, 06:34

Not a problem.. We'll allow you to use $30 of the gift certificate on a 300 purchase, and save the other 20 for a 200 purchase later.

oooh, that is neat!

DevilDiver
02-09-2010, 07:37

Larry,

Maybe you should edit the FAQ statement to address this and curb some questions or misunderstandings down the road, it could make things easier for Joe. (Did I just say that?) You know how he gets with that complex math stuff... :smiley29:

It is a shame that some feel the need to take advantage of a good thing. Props to you guys for trying to keep the offer out there for the real customers. :smiley32:

ScubaToys Larry
02-09-2010, 08:34
Larry,

Maybe you should edit the FAQ statement to address this

Good thought... Just did. Added this:

Since we've made this change, we will also make it that you do not have to use the entire certificate at one time. Let's suppose you've earned a $50 gift certificate, and you want to buy a $400 BC. We will allow you a $40 credit (10%) of your certificate, and you can save the other $10 credit to use toward a $100 purchase later.

rayaa3
02-09-2010, 10:49
See now I'm wondering if I should be feeling pangs of guilt. I MIGHT have had a 100 dollar order for my 10 GC (actually, yeah, it was 2 of the 2008 model shockwave LED's when they were closing out) but I know my 50 GC was on a 300 order, Hollis reg for the wife, and booties for the daughter (damn feet grow too fast, at least she's in the wife's size now).

I'm one of those deal scavengers, and I like to stack discounts. I'll use gift cards and 10% forum deals, etc. I'm pretty sure that until recently I was getting the 10% off even on items that said "no other discounts apply".

I went into the shop one day a year ago and found a SL960 strobe loose in a box under a pile of crap (no offense guys, but I've compared it to shopping in your grandparents attic, there are treasures you just have to dig), we got down to 99 bucks for it, then I still had the guts to ask for my 10% off too!

But that's how I am...I'm a deal dog, I sniff, dig, scratch at a deal, and EVENTUALLY BUY.

However - multiple logons for 10 dollar gift cards, that's just ridiculous. You could save the 10 bucks by investing that time hunting for a good deal, or waiting to buy when something REALLY comes on sale. No need to be dishonest. I'm not saying that my integrity isn't for sale, I'm just saying if it is, it costs more than 10 bucks. Now if you ask me to hold onto your winning powerball ticket for you, hmmmm.

Thanks for keeping the incentive out there for the customers who appreciate it. You guys have earned my business, you keep earning it, I keep giving it to you.

Long Island Diver
02-09-2010, 18:59
I guess there will always be some that will try to take advantage of a good thing. Thanks for not letting a few sour grapes ruin it for the rest of us honest people.

Splitlip
02-09-2010, 19:31
I say kill 'em all and let Foo (2) sort them out.

But I agree. too bad. Everybody is trying to screw "da man". Unfortunately here, Larry is the Man.

I was thinking, maybe 500 posts give them a gift card. Skip the 10 for 10. After 500 I suppose if they don't become members of the community at least the man behind the curtain can get a lock on them.

Long Island Diver
02-10-2010, 18:14
I have to agree with Splitlip. People are less likely to take advantage of the situation if they actually have to work for their gift certificates.

Unfortunately I probably won't use the $50 gift certificate. It just doesn't make any sense to spend $500 to save $50. I'll still buy from Scuba Toys and use the forum but it's a shame that some people will not even think twice before taking advantage of others.

Splitlip
02-10-2010, 18:25
I have to agree with Splitlip. People are less likely to take advantage of the situation if they actually have to work for their gift certificates.

Unfortunately I probably won't use the $50 gift certificate. It just doesn't make any sense to spend $500 to save $50. I'll still buy from Scuba Toys and use the forum but it's a shame that some people will not even think twice before taking advantage of others.

Yeah, but remember.

You can break out the GC. Buy $50.00 and get a $5.00 discount.
Over the life of your diving career, you will get the $50.00.

And the nature of the activity, I would be surprised if you did not redeem the $50.00 within months.

bigman241
02-10-2010, 18:38
You got to it before me

Yeah, but remember.

You can break out the GC. Buy $50.00 and get a $5.00 discount.
Over the life of your diving career, you will get the $50.00.

And the nature of the activity, I would be surprised if you did not redeem the $50.00 within months.