PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Guam!

rkj1969
02-08-2010, 20:31
Hi forum friends!

I'm a new OW diver (thanks to most fabulous instructor ever - Sadie Gosselin) and I'm very excited to find this forum with all the good advice!

It's almost overwhelming to look at equipment and such with no guidance, so I really appreciate everyone sharing their expertise!

Looking forward to lots of fun discussions ahead!

Best - Rhonda

Singlerm
02-09-2010, 01:00
Hi Rhonda,

Welcome to Guam diving. As you have already most likely heard, there are plenty of shore dives here. They are a great way to build experience. As for gear selection, it is a great idea to read up and research before making any choices.

Guam is a great place for gear as well. There are many good deals to be had. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

-Mitch

rkj1969
02-09-2010, 14:23
Thanks, Mitch!

I've already visited a few of our many sites - did OW at Outhouse and GabGab 1 and we went to the Piti Bomb Holes last weekend...spent about an hour peeking in at the tourists at Fisheye....I need to go buy a float/flag so we can do more of the shore dives!

I also tried my first boat dive with GTDS. The Western Shoals site is pretty cool - though I definitely need more practice on 'descending without a line' - I got a little disoriented for a minute there....but I know it will all get easier!

Hope to see you in the water sometime!

TwistedSister209
02-09-2010, 19:00
Welcome, Rhonda!! Glad you are here.

scubastud
02-09-2010, 19:39
Rhonda!

Just missed ya, home from Guam today.
Save your pennies for Palau!
I like the people at GDTS, but I would highly suggest getting a 5-Star membership with MDA in Piti or right on the Navy base. It is worth it if only for the "free" three 2-tank boat dives.

rkj1969
02-10-2010, 03:38
I like the people at GDTS, but I would highly suggest getting a 5-Star membership with MDA in Piti or right on the Navy base. It is worth it if only for the "free" three 2-tank boat dives.

sorry to miss you, scuba stud! Palau is on the list! and I will def be getting my 5 star card in time for the Diver Night Gala at the Outrigger on the 26th.....

I must say, however, that the GTDS gold membership is worth a lot as well - it costs 120 bucks and they give you back 100 in coupons that you can use for rentals, dives or gear AND you get $30 seats for you and one guest for a year (10-15 discount per dive). I rented gear and tanks for two people last weekend, used a coupon and only spent 12 bucks - yay! 80 "bucks" still left to spend....

Not that I'm pimping for GTDS or anything, I just think they get overlooked sometimes! They're definitely not the marketing machine that MDA is, but it's a friendly bunch....

and thanks for the welcome, Twisted Sister!

scubastud
02-10-2010, 05:09
Yep, like I said, I like the folks at GTDS, they are a lot less pressure that MDA.
You are right, can't beat the twenty five dollar 2-day boat trips that MDA offers, but well.. I like the attitude of the GTDS staff.