PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle the wife redecorating the house?

danielh03
09-03-2007, 21:20
Have you ever had to deal with your wife (or it could be turned around to and the husband does it) redecorating the house???:smiley11:

finflippers
09-03-2007, 21:25
My wife has free reign on decorating the house. My jobs are to move the heavy furniture and say how good it looks.

quarrydiver
09-03-2007, 21:43
I'd be happy. I didn't have to do it.

Osprey
09-03-2007, 21:53
That depends

Is it better or worse than before? ;)

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 22:12
dont be married. that's how i handle these types of situations.
good luck. agree with everything and it will be less painless, try to sneak in a 60'' plasma for the family room.

ScubaJenn81
09-04-2007, 06:22
Just say you love it unless you really really think you can not live with it, then tread carefully. Otherwise, you will be asked to help.

creggur
09-04-2007, 06:37
My wife has free reign on decorating the house. My jobs are to move the heavy furniture and say how good it looks.

Same here!!

meesier42
09-04-2007, 06:49
vacation anyone?? this is like going shoe shopping, doesn't really matter what you say, your going to be in trouble.

deepdiver47
09-04-2007, 06:55
give her a check and cut her loose.

My wife doesn't dive and if she were to enjoy redecorating then I would think that it is only fair to indulge her. But she is a low maintainence girl and been that way for 20 years.

underwaterdan
09-04-2007, 07:04
Caution if you say you don't really like it and she is nice enough to take that into consideration, there will be more moving of heavy furniture. Therefore, you always like it...

mm_dm
09-04-2007, 07:56
She has better tastes than I do. I move things and stay out of her way.

wxboy911
09-04-2007, 08:13
I have found that she asks for my input on decorating and I used to put my .02 in...Stupid Me. Now I let her take care of all of it mostly because it save me cash. She is happier with things she has picked out so they don't need replacing every year. Most of the things I liked were out in a year or less. Less spent on decorating=more for me to spend on diving(Time and cash).

Capt Hook
09-04-2007, 09:02
My wife ALWAYS asks for my opinion when redecorating.
She NEVER uses any of my ideas.

Doghouse
09-04-2007, 09:29
Simple. Pick 2 rooms of the house, and call them yours. The rest of the house is her turf. Nod your head, say yes dear then walk slowly backwards into one of your rooms.

Note if you can close the door on the room, all the better. That way you do not have to keep it presentable to the guests. (Hers, not yours. Yours would understand that the room was part of the man cave system)

dallasdivergirl
09-04-2007, 10:17
The ex was big on renovation & redecoration. My opinion didn't matter. I did get to buy and install things. Some of our biggest fights were during renovations.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 10:52

Same here!!

And who puts down the new ceramic tile or the wallpaper of the new trim etc....don't you have to help w/ those things or do you let her just "hire" it done....

gtjason2000
09-04-2007, 10:57
So far I have been the one to do all the "redecorating" (renovations) to the house but thats because it used to be mine as I bought it, but now its both of ours after the marriage. She keeps bringing up painting the walls different colors and I say you can paint it whatever color you want, but you have to paint it. Our walls are still the same white they were when we bought it.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-04-2007, 11:53
Let Her !!:smiley1:

finflippers
09-04-2007, 12:02

Same here!!

And who puts down the new ceramic tile or the wallpaper of the new trim etc....don't you have to help w/ those things or do you let her just "hire" it done....

Haven't tried wallpaper or tile but painting is a joint operation.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 12:08

Same here!!

Haven't tried wallpaper or tile but painting is a joint operation.

This is one thing I DON'T do...painting...ugh!

finflippers
09-04-2007, 12:11

It is fun when you do it together.

cudachaser
09-04-2007, 16:01
I go diving..."Uh sorry Cheryl, I have a class going this weekend"

Joe

scuba Widow
09-04-2007, 21:07
The only real redecorating I do is wanting things move around in a room...I don't like to shop so it is very easy for us and on the wallet.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 21:43

It is fun when you do it together.

I just HATE it! I would rather watch him do it and make up for not helping somewhere else......yes...I hate it that bad!

DivingsInMyBlood
09-04-2007, 21:55
:smilie39: im not gonna go there... ok i will, i end up doing nearly all the painting otherwise it wont get done. :smiley29:

frankc420
09-04-2007, 22:05
At my house, I do anything related to the appearance of the house. I can ask my wife to do something, but if she agrees the first thing she says is, "I don't know how to do this, but I don't want you correcting me if I do it wrong!" ... that is just the wrong way to look at it so I tend to not ask her for help...

In the last couple of weeks I have put up a new shower surrounding, painted the living room (3 different colors) and hallway, bedrooms are next... Laid tile on the countertops in the kitchen and bathroom and am in the process of getting ready to pressure wash, scrub, scrape, caulk and paint the outside of my house. Replaced the window molding in one of the bedrooms, as I was tearing out the old wood, it tore a 1' x 3' section of the sheetrock off... so I had to putty that up and sand it down... then dust every single item in the room and then vacuum. Oh, we cannot forget the multiple trips to Home Depot, Lowes, and Sutherlands for crap I forget while I'm there.

Yep, you guessed it, I'm selling my house! *shakes head*

divingmedic
09-05-2007, 23:53
I would laugh, because that never happens around my house.

TX SCUBA FAMILY
09-15-2007, 22:49
Sounds like the perfect excuse to go diving. Let her take care of the house and you go diving.

cudachaser
09-17-2007, 17:10
You got that right...she hung curtains and I had 6 great "working dives"

diverdad
09-17-2007, 19:29
I know im in trouble when my wife says; you know we really need to fix this. What she really means is you need to fix it and i'll supervise to make sure you do it the way i want it done.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 06:59
Have you ever had to deal with your wife (or it could be turned around to and the husband does it) redecorating the house???:smiley11:

As long as she doesn't mess with the garage..... why do you care??
:smiley36: