PDA

View Full Version : Where are tanks made?

emclean
02-09-2010, 11:50
i was thinking that a way to save a little cash is to look for tanks that don't pass cosmetic inspections. but the best place for scrach and dented stuff id right from the OEM. any one know where tanks are made?

UCFKnightDiver
02-09-2010, 12:58
at the manufacturers plant? Italy for Faber I believe

Aquatrax
02-09-2010, 17:09
Tanklahoma?

Utankistan?

The mythical Tanklantis?

Sorry, going to Mexico tomorrow, started drinking too early:smiley29:

in_cavediver
02-09-2010, 17:54
I strongly doubt you will see a 'scratch and dent' tank. It's either good enough to pass hydro or scrapped. To much liability concern.

clayton
02-09-2010, 20:59
Tilbury ontario at a plant called Worthington cylinders.They make the most popular steel cyls.

emclean
02-10-2010, 08:08
I strongly doubt you will see a 'scratch and dent' tank. It's either good enough to pass hydro or scrapped.
why don't you think they cosmedicly damage tanks at the factory? it happens in most other industrys.

ScubaToys Larry
02-10-2010, 08:11
They don't want to mess with selling anything to a consumer. I had a commercial account that was looking at buying 650 tanks, and it was only after a ton of calls and hassles that they agreed to sell to me. They don't want to deal with small orders like 650, much less 1. They deal with distributors that buy thousands of tanks at a crack.

emclean
02-10-2010, 13:08
i know of a local gun store (to the the factory) that gets scrach and dented Ruger's. they pass the saveings along to the coustomer (Ruger 556 from between $800 - $900).
just looking to see is simaler exists for tanks.

CompuDude
02-10-2010, 23:48
i know of a local gun store (to the the factory) that gets scrach and dented Ruger's. they pass the saveings along to the coustomer (Ruger 556 from between $800 - $900).
just looking to see is simaler exists for tanks.

Thing is, if a tank is scratched deeply enough to fail a vis, it gets condemned. No way to "patch the crack"... it's like you can just spackle it.

Ditto for dents. If they're deep enough to fail vis, the tank is getting scrapped.

If neither is deep enough the fail vis, then the tank just has some extra "character" and it might not fetch quite as much money as a shiny clean one, but close to it, because it still has plenty of life left if the damage is indeed simply cosmetic. If it's just paint damage, it can just be ignored, generally... the effort required to safely strip and repaint a tank is FAR more costly than the small hit on resale value.

Repairs to cosmetic tank issues tend to cause more issues than they solve, so I've never seen much of a market... and as people observed, the manufacturers won't touch it for liability reasons.

A scratch or dent on the outside of a gun can be buffed out, or a part replaced. A tank is all one piece, so you can't really fix them if there's another wrong beyond purely cosmetic stuff that few people care about. (If your tank has no scratches at all, it's still brand new: dive it 10 times, and it will)

bigman241
02-11-2010, 07:39
I do not care for the IDEA of scratch and dent when it comes to something that is life support. Would you buy a scratch and dent pacemaker would you. Good idea though

in_cavediver
02-11-2010, 08:25
I do not care for the IDEA of scratch and dent when it comes to something that is life support. Would you buy a scratch and dent pacemaker would you. Good idea though

To me - its not life support but one heck of an explosion hazard.

The issue is its either up to snuff or its not. Most of the quesitons about about scratched paint come down to liability on the part of the tank manufacturer. If the 'cosmetic' coating isn't perfect - does it have anything else in a protective coating that isn't perfect either? Again - its a liability question and its simply not worth it for the cost of the tank to said manufacturer.

emclean
02-11-2010, 18:14
Would you buy a scratch and dent pacemaker would you. Good idea though
funny you should mention pacemakers, i work on medical equipment for a living, so sure i would, i would just test it first.