PDA

View Full Version : Earn money

mrbeast1414
02-09-2010, 23:38
Hey,

so I am trying to save money to buy my own scuba gear but I need a ways to do this. I am young and like to dive. I don't really like to rent and my dive instructors and my friends urge me to purchase my own gear-- I know that for everything it would around 1,000 dollars. I need some wats to do this... Were any of you faced with this problem? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

Rileybri
02-10-2010, 06:38
If you shop around the gear for sale on the used gear threads hear and on scuba board you can find some sweet deals. I know you LDS wants you to get your gear from them but hay tell them you got plenty of time to buy new later on! I think I got my first set up of BP/W, reg, tank(s) for well under $1000. my wet suit I got new as well as my mask fins and snorkel I dont use any more. As for making money see if your LDS will let you work part time in exchange for gear at employe price. Offer to sweep up, restock shelves, wash out rental gear, lug tanks etc. The one of one of my local dive buddies (16) collected cans for the 5c redemption. You would be surprised ow fast that can add up.

good luck!

mrbeast1414
02-10-2010, 07:41
That's a good suggestion rileybri. Thanks a lot.

rayaa3
02-10-2010, 08:15
don't know how old you are, but if under 16, you can:

mow lawns during spring summer and fall
rake leaves during fall
shovel snow from driveways in winter

These are the ways that I earned money when I was 11 - 14 well, we didn't have snow where I lived, but you get the idea. These are nice, because you don't pay any taxes on the money.

If you are over 16, never underestimate the work ethic learned from flipping burgers, making subs, or bagging groceries after school. It may take you 2-3 months to earn everything you need, but I can't tell you how sweet it will be when you buy your gear after working that hard. I can't tell you because there are no words to describe the feeling.

FishFood
02-10-2010, 08:39
Some of the things I tried as a high school student and starving undergrad -

Mowing yards and raking leaves
lifeguard
valet
stock market

By far the most lucrative was yard care. If one works hard, 20-30/hour is easily obtainable. Not many other unskilled jobs around paying that much. Plus, yard jobs are easy as pie to find.

mrbeast1414
02-10-2010, 10:10
Thanks guys for all the help. They are really good sugesstions!

Noob
02-10-2010, 12:48
dont know where you live but right now there is alot of snow that needs shoveled. LOL

Good luck. Lots of good used gear for sale.

thecheeseman
02-10-2010, 15:32
I agree, I'm 14 and I just saved up and bought some used equipment off of the forums here. I often made deals with my parents - My regulator for example, we split the cost.
I earned it by working at my church, as well as odd jobs around the house (cleaning the shed, etc)

And quite honestly, there is a lot of money to be made online, I've made ~$150 in the past month or so. If you're seriously interetsed in making money on just the computer, give me a PM.

Best of luck making money. Remember- it can't hurt to ask! Ask your friends parents....do they need a car wash? Does your uncle need a garden made? Ask around!

phil_218
03-01-2010, 23:19
I'm helping my son get his equipment to get him started, but he also knows he'll be working to help with the costs. Right now I am trying to find a way for him to earn money. He's ten, will be eleven next month, so his allowance is all he's got right now. I've thought about taking him to pickup cans from the back roads for recycling, but that will take a while to make any money. We're in SW Texas, so shoveling snow is not needed here (thank god).

Good luck with your search and a big KUDOS for being willing to work for what you want in life. Its a great trait to have, don't loose it.

cmburch
03-24-2010, 15:45
Maybe list your size to get some free gear such as fins, polespears, knives, gloves, belts, etc. that people do not use.

I worked at condo tracks and rental homes for landlords in San Jose and Santa Clara when I was 12-14. Someplaces require that you be 16 or 18 yr old to work such as gas stations and construction sites. Mowing lawns, raking leaves, sweeping garages and driveways, minor carpentry, repairs/maintenance if the landlord or handyman was working to show me. Done properly one can make over a couple of thousand a year working part-time after school.

Parents seem to always know a friend that needs a worker.

RedRattler
04-13-2010, 09:38
I too was asking around for suggestions on gear (to buy new or used) and was given a good piece of advice:

If you buy a few years old normal used (non-commercial) gear instead of brand new, the gear will have less use on it then a few month old gear you would rent from a commercial dive shop when going on trips. Figure that commercial gear on average is being taken on 6-10 dives a week, compared to privately owned gear, which is closer to 10 dives a year.

I am not saying to take this as gospel, just thought it might help you choose what to spend your money on.

cam
04-13-2010, 10:35
SCUBA is one of the best things that ever got me thinking about money.

I decided I liked diving more than planting myself in front of a TV so I started selling my old video game stuff on Craig's list. It was enough to pay for one of my SCUBA classes and I'm even less a couch potato because of it. :)

josh7284
04-29-2010, 09:10
I am faced with the exact problem and I do not want to invest in a BC because I may grow out of it. All of my friends are also now advanced divers so I really cant do many of the dives they do because they have advanced cards. I'm in a bind!

cmburch
04-29-2010, 10:04
Go with a backplate/wing/harness. It will grow with you. Some people find great deals on used backplates at garage sales, flea markets, E-Bay or Craigslist.

doimber
05-01-2010, 09:59
i'm going to st today in about 2 hours but i still need 20 bucks until i can buy the computor i want. any suggestions would be apreciated. thanks

Clernix
05-04-2010, 16:22
I have mares 1st and second stage you can have its about a 7 years old its a rebel has about 40 dives on it. It would need servicing. I have an old bcd but I don't think it will fit. It is some no name Italien brand I got over in Europe when I bought I the regs. Its a L not sure how you are put together. You can have the gear for P&H. PM me you are interested.

I am going to Mexico on Saturday so if I don't answer right away I am out of town.

diverush
06-15-2010, 22:04
If you are certified and know to people at the local dive shop you can work as a deckhand