PDA

View Full Version : Tenkiller Cleanup Weekend Sep. 8-9th

mpd525
09-03-2007, 22:05
For those who don't know yet, the annual Tenkiller cleanup is Sept. 8-9th.

Tim the owner of Nautical Adventures is kinda the host of the deal, and he's got 4 categories for trash retreival. most unique, most weight, most bottles and cans, and smallest item. It's 20 bucks a team to enter the competition. And tim will point you in the right direction to get some junk out of the water.

He'll be giving away alot of gear, and he said it's always a blast to do it.

If you need any more info. on the event, call Tim, at 457-dive.

Hope to get a bunch of ST'ers out their.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 22:52
great stuff. We have a local lake clean-up over our end on the 9th also, hope i get my cert finished in time so i can help out.

mpd525
09-09-2007, 19:04
Well the clean-up went good this weekend, but got 5 dives in, and my first 2 night dives, so that was cool. My team pulled up a whopping 218lbs, of trash including some tires, and of course bottles and cans. one team pulled up 75 tires and half a maniqin with a pair of panties still one, and another guy pulled up about 800lbs of bottles and cans from 1 cove. the grand total of weight was 3900lbs or somewhere around that. All in all great weekend, did a lot of good, and had a blast.

jwdizney
09-09-2007, 19:10
MPD,
Glad you got to dive! how's the ears? did you win any cool stuff?

fire diver
09-09-2007, 20:10
That's awesome. Hard to believe that much crap in the lake. And this clean-up is an annual event! Shame I couldn't be there, the fun of diving with the benefits of eco conservation.

How was the vis?

FD

Charlotte Smith
09-09-2007, 20:42
How silty was the water after your first dive......Sounds like the lake will be a much prettier place now.....Way to go!

Disneymom
09-09-2007, 20:59
Glad to hear you had a successful weekend! That's a LOT of junk!

DivingsInMyBlood
09-09-2007, 21:02
thats a crazy amount of trash

mpd525
09-09-2007, 22:01
still having a little trouble with the right ear, it gave me fits trying to equalize. The viz wasnt bad in the morning, of course when you go picking junk up, it stirs up alot of crap. Got most of my trash from a swimming area across the cove of the Scuba Park. And i didn't win anything, the guys that won were hardcore, one group pulled up 2000lbs worth of tires!!!!!I pulled up 5 tires, and about 100lbs of bottles and cans. I did get a door prize. Tim does this every year, the weekend after labor day, this was his 8th year i believe. Got a cool little mesh souvenier type bag, that says Tenkiller cleanup 2007 on it, that's hanging on the wall in the sports room, on the designated SCUBA wall. WE pulled up all that trash, and their's still tons that we didn't get too. I tried pulling up 3 55 gallon drums, at about 25 feet, but i couldn't get them, up, and i started going through my air pretty fast, so i gave up, and i'm gonna go back next weekend and get them out with a lift bag, or my boat. Sure makes you think about the junk you throw off your boat.

Disney's I've got 2 new divesites, well one is not really new, but it's cool Crappie Point, and the area we dove this morning for the cleanup, lots of fish over their.

I sure encourage everyone to do one of these, in their area, it's a real eye opener, it was for me anyway.

But i had a blast doing it, and lightstick rock in the water, but that's another story.

jwdizney
09-09-2007, 22:08
man, sounds like you guys worked your butts off! it's a really good thing Tim does for the lake. we'll definitely be there next year! can't wait to hear about the new sites! maybe i'll get a chance to 'cut my teeth' on them when I get my OW!

hope your ear gets better soon!

thanks for the update!- have a great week!

DivingsInMyBlood
09-09-2007, 22:13
still having a little trouble with the right ear, it gave me fits trying to equalize. The viz wasnt bad in the morning, of course when you go picking junk up, it stirs up alot of crap. Got most of my trash from a swimming area across the cove of the Scuba Park. And i didn't win anything, the guys that won were hardcore, one group pulled up 2000lbs worth of tires!!!!!I pulled up 5 tires, and about 100lbs of bottles and cans. I did get a door prize. Tim does this every year, the weekend after labor day, this was his 8th year i believe. Got a cool little mesh souvenier type bag, that says Tenkiller cleanup 2007 on it, that's hanging on the wall in the sports room, on the designated SCUBA wall. WE pulled up all that trash, and their's still tons that we didn't get too. I tried pulling up 3 55 gallon drums, at about 25 feet, but i couldn't get them, up, and i started going through my air pretty fast, so i gave up, and i'm gonna go back next weekend and get them out with a lift bag, or my boat. Sure makes you think about the junk you throw off your boat.

Disney's I've got 2 new divesites, well one is not really new, but it's cool Crappie Point, and the area we dove this morning for the cleanup, lots of fish over their.

I sure encourage everyone to do one of these, in their area, it's a real eye opener, it was for me anyway.

But i had a blast doing it, and lightstick rock in the water, but that's another story.

Im doing one on sunday 16th sept around a popular place (marina) for people to dump alot of trash.

mpd525
09-10-2007, 09:12
good luck with your cleanup, and make sure you wear gloves, trust me.