PDA

View Full Version : DIR Give it a shot

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 13:58
I see that DIR diving still hasn't caught on from the few posts on this part of the forum. That is too bad, it really is a high speed low drag way to dive. No bulky jackets, outstanding regulator hose setup, and reduced weightbelt with a stainless steel backplate.

If you haven't tried it give it a shot. Halcyon, Dive Rite, Hollis, Oxycheq all make great backplate harness setups. You could even go OMS...if you had to.

FishFood
02-12-2010, 14:08
Fan-cotton-picking-tastic 2nd post. Welcome to the board!

in_cavediver
02-12-2010, 15:43
Yep - it even shows a bit of ignorance of what DIR is actually.

<hint - its has little to do with gear and everything to do with philosophy for diving>

Rileybri
02-12-2010, 16:07
Back plate? Wing? What is this BP/W you speak of? Halcyon, thats the area where salt and fresh water meat right??

Welcome to the forum!

comet24
02-12-2010, 16:48
From your profile.

Gear Info:
DIR setup Halcyon backplate, Oceanic Delta 3 regs, Scubapro twin jet fins, Aeris Atmos 2 being traded for an Oceanic Veo 3.0 computer, JBL 38sp NW speargun

Talking about DIR with split fins is hilarious.

Vercingetorix
02-12-2010, 16:57
Now, now, guys. Remember...we're the *friendly* scuba forum. Leave mockery to that *other* one. :smilie39:

//that said, I do find it humorous that: DIR equals BP/W. I dive a BP/W and am not DIR.

Rileybri
02-12-2010, 17:07
Now, now, guys. Remember...we're the *friendly* scuba forum. Leave mockery to that *other* one. :smilie39:

//that said, I do find it humorous that: DIR equals BP/W. I dive a BP/W and am not DIR.

Ya but is all your gear black????

in_cavediver
02-12-2010, 17:13

But miss a chance to joke about DIR without creating a religious war in the process - I don't know that I can miss that oppertunity.......

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 18:06
Ahh yes, dive snobbery, i had forgotten so many people have their head up their behinds. I use split fins because besides the old scubapro jet fins, there are no fins that fit my feet as they are slightly deformed.

I see divers haven't changed. Oh well, thanks for the welcomes and to the rest of you, get over it, there is plenty of diving out there for everyone, I have loads of experience and I am not dead.

I have been out of the in loop for a few years, but I will get back into it.

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 18:11
2 more for $10 off, gimme another blow

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 18:13

But miss a chance to joke about DIR without creating a religious war in the process - I don't know that I can miss that oppertunity.......

Let's have a spelling contest?

comet24
02-12-2010, 19:45
2 more for $10 off, gimme another blow

So is this why you joined this forum.

No one was being rube. A little fun ribbing sure.

You come in and make one of your first posts about a topic many divers have very strong feelings about. Yet say very little in your post that's related to the subject. DIR is the religion/politics topic of diving. Open up that can of worms and you get what you get. Want a real discussion or have a question post it and your get real answers. Post a very general statement that says nothing and you get what you get.

Scuba Pete
02-12-2010, 19:45
Dude, cool down.... It's all in good fun. DIR is not all all about gear, But i am sure you already knew that because of all of your knowledge and experience. BTW i wouldn't call 101-500 dives extremely experienced.

LiteHedded
02-12-2010, 19:56
split fins or no, you can't go wrong with a backplate and wing.
who cares if it's 'dir' or not? ...whatever that means anymore

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 20:12

Amen to that, and yes, I do want the discount, I am about to make a major purchase. I am glad the staff at scubatoys is so cool, cause the clients on the forum make me think of leisurepro.

I bet that will get yall going.

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 20:13
Dude, cool down.... It's all in good fun. DIR is not all all about gear, But i am sure you already knew that because of all of your knowledge and experience. BTW i wouldn't call 101-500 dives extremely experienced.

More than most people got.

FishFood
02-12-2010, 20:16

Amen to that, and yes, I do want the discount, I am about to make a major purchase. I am glad the staff at scubatoys is so cool, cause the clients on the forum make me think of leisurepro.

Did you just call us cheap sleazy New Yorkers?

In all seriousness, to quote the great poet and artist, YoungBloodz. Don't start no crap, it won't be no crap. :smiley2::smiley20:

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 20:18
[quote=LiteHedded;366212]

In all seriousness, to quote the great poet and artist, YoungBloodz. Don't start no crap, it won't be no crap. :smiley2::smiley20:

Actually the staff at both stores are awesome, I just felt bad mentioning another company on this company's forum. Thanks for the hits, I got my $10!

Splitlip
02-12-2010, 20:43
you talking GUE?

Whatever. Equipment is such a small piece of the entire DIR philosophy.

Are you somebody's troll? (just asking. Makes no dif to me)

Splitlip
02-12-2010, 20:48
Well just read the entire thread.

Splitlip
02-12-2010, 20:53

Cheap New Yorker?
I resent that! (sleazy? I can live with.)

Splitlip
02-12-2010, 21:00

LOL.

Serious note man, when you start attacking p[ople for a missed key strick, it is tyme to put up the flag.

(I know. :))

All about the message.

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 21:06

LOL.

Serious note man, when you start attacking p[ople for a missed key strick, it is tyme to put up the flag.

All about the message.

Exaktly

Splitlip
02-12-2010, 21:08

LOL.

All about the message.

Exaktly

:smilie39:

Welcome aboard!

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 21:09
Thanks man

Splitlip
02-12-2010, 21:11
See ya around campus.

navyhmc
02-12-2010, 22:02

Ya but is all your gear black????

Well, my SMG is orange and yellow. Does that mean I'm going to die? :smilie39:

Oh, my 3/2 is blue and black, me wing is blue but I did put a big "H" on it so I guess I'm safe... :smilie39:

jj1987
02-12-2010, 23:26
Ahh yes, dive snobbery, i had forgotten so many people have their head up their behinds. I use split fins because besides the old scubapro jet fins, there are no fins that fit my feet as they are slightly deformed.

I see divers haven't changed. Oh well, thanks for the welcomes and to the rest of you, get over it, there is plenty of diving out there for everyone, I have loads of experience and I am not dead.

I have been out of the in loop for a few years, but I will get back into it.
Swimming is stroke crap. If you're not scootering, it's not DIR.

Please leave.

CompuDude
02-13-2010, 00:15
Well just read the entire thread.

I feel dirty.

Vercingetorix
02-13-2010, 06:48
Well just read the entire thread.And you want those three minutes of your life back.

I feel dirty.1. Wash with shampoo.

2. Rinse.

3. Repeat.

Above, I was questioned concerning whether my gear is black. Well, the retainer rings that hold the lenses in my mask are red. So...I'm gonna die.

bigman241
02-13-2010, 06:57
Enlighten me. What is it? I have been wondering it for some time. :smilie40:

<hint - its has little to do with gear and everything to do with philosophy for diving>

in_cavediver
02-13-2010, 07:42
Enlighten me. What is it? I have been wondering it for some time. :smilie40:

Didn't you just lose a bet about talking diving.......

Seriously - if people *really* want the scoop on DIR - talk to a GUE instructor. The internet is great for discussing part of it but its not the place to learn it.

Since I am a 'stroke' - I can't do it justice. I mean - my gear is not all black, I dive with quick releases, I don't use a crotch strap, My light is only 10 watt non-focusable, my backup lights aren't 'approved', I don't use jets most of the time *and* I carry IANTD cards. I might die in the parking lot because of this and you want my opinion on DIR!!!!

in_cavediver
02-13-2010, 07:43

If you spell a word only one way you are closed minded.......

Vercingetorix
02-13-2010, 08:22
If you spell a word only one way you are closed minded.......Rite awn, dewd!!!:smiley36:

Rileybri
02-13-2010, 09:56

If you spell a word only one way you are closed minded.......

If you spell a word only one way you are closed minded.......Rite awn, dewd!!!:smiley36:

Its actually a variation of a Mark Twain quote. He is one of the more famous dyslexics and was quoted as saying "a person who can only spell a word one way, lacks creativity....".

carry on

CompuDude
02-13-2010, 18:06
I feel dirty.1. Wash with shampoo.

2. Rinse.

3. Repeat.

LOL have you seen my haircut?

Tiptopperoo
02-15-2010, 07:55
It's certainly not 100% gear based. It's a philosophy on diving. It does however lend itself to a certain gear configuration, and for good reason. Let's also remember that GUE and DIR are no longer one and the same.

Welcome to the forums.

UCFKnightDiver
02-17-2010, 22:44
Here's a thread that might help those that are interested understand what DIR is all about.

What is DIR? - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/44823-what-dir.html)